YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>So, If you had the cash and the incentive to pack up and go, where would you move to in the UK?

Personally, i would need somewhere with:-

Excellent diving
Good schooling
Pubs, clubs & restraunts
Buisness centre/city relatively close
Airport
Good public transport etc

i.e. Somewhere that the diving is ace but you don't need to be a farmer or fisherman to bring the cash in and survive.
......So I guess mull is out

No offence to any farmers/fishermen.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

It's not the UK, but Cork would seem to have all of those.

Or somewhere along the south coast Southampton/Portsmouth etc

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Got to be Swanage in Dorset, diving is great, Bournmouth is close by, don't know much about the schools. There are some fantastic pubs around there. Bournmouth airport has it's very own cut price airline, public transport sucks, but then find me somewhere it doesn't.

Actually, what on earth am I still doing here.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Frogman @ Mar. 18 2004,07:43)]So, If you had the cash and the incentive to pack up and go, where would you move to in the UK?
Nowhere, thanks! I've got all that and more here  

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Plymouth
diving 0-80m
accessability 1hr to portland 1.5 to the manacles
loads of drinking establishments - and some of them aren't too rough

·
Registered
101 Posts
Imported post

Sorry folks but it had got to be central Scotland.  Can do the Sound of Mull in a day trip, dive the lochs 365 days a year or head over to St Abbs, Dunbar etc.

Lucky I live here already

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Whats wrong with the south coast?  It seems to have all the above criteria.  Ok, I've never lived down there but you'd have to consider it.  Besides I assumed that if you had the money and choice you would head to where the weather's good, or as good as you can get in the UK, so Scotland is surely out.
 or, as the great sage Connolly put it "of course its f***ing raining, its Scotland".

·
Very Senior Member
1,908 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Timing @ Mar. 18 2004,13:05)]Whats wrong with the south coast?  It seems to have all the above criteria.  Ok, I've never lived down there but you'd have to consider it.  Besides I assumed that if you had the money and choice you would head to where the weather's good, or as good as you can get in the UK, so Scotland is surely out.
 or, as the great sage Connolly put it "of course its f***ing raining, its Scotland".
south coast good points
Great diving

Loads of wrecks

Whats wrong?

House prices
Cost of living
Traffis congestion
tourists
Average Reaurants with high London prices
Bloody wind!
Marina fees
average Viz

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Timing @ Mar. 18 2004,17:00)]Well, that's why I live in Yorkshire.
Same here!

What made me laugh was that the other night one of the divers I was chatting to said 'There's more wrecks on this coast than anywhere else in britain' referring to the area around Scarborough and Flamborough Head.

That may be true, but you can't bloody see them! 20cm viz if you're lucky, and a 45 minute boat trip for a 30m dive.

Don't get me wrong - I love diving by the light house as there's loads of stuff there (including a large anchor I found one day - about 8 foot long) and the viz can be OK, but the walk down a sheer cliff is soooooo knackering on the way down and doubly so to get back to the carpark.

Me? I used to live in Penzance, and I loved it there. I'd move back there tomorrow if I could.

Mark.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts