YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

This was posted by Dave Covey on 17-09-02, and makes salutary reading.....

"Hi From Thailand,

I urge anyone contemplating a [diving] holiday outside the EU to take a good look at their INSURANCE POLICY!! I work in a Hyperbaric Chamber and (in a 'worst case' scenario) can confirm that, on average, a patient receives 2 x US Navy Table 6's & 2 x US Navy table 5's.............In laymen's terms, that's some 20 Hours in 4 days (@ up to US&#36800 PER HOUR!!)

As a BSAC Member I have no Desire to "Mug" anyone. Please contact me if you seek further advice on this subject.........

Dave Covey, Koh Samui, Thailand
Related link: Divers Alert Network"

So buckle-up on that Dive Insurance folks!! Gav and Fi, hope you're squared away for your trip at Christmas??

Take care all.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

I've got DAN plus a comprehensive travel policy Bren but cheers for the heads-up.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

It is certainly a must for those who dive here in Canada or the US. Both residents and non-residents are not covered for diving accidents. The Ontario Health Insurance Plan throws in some change but we have to foot the rest of the bill. That's not the only concern. The other side of the coin, is if you need an SAR or coast guard chopper. That usually runs about &#362500 an hour - OH ye baby!

The nice thing about diving insurance like Dan, and others, is that one can buy "air evacuation" in the policy. Obviously for an extra cost, but it will be cheaper than squaring off directly with the goverment.

I wonder if a skier can get free air ambulance from a mountain?
??

Lawrence

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

Hello,

Come to Malta, as it's only 5 to 10min with chopper to chamber, normally everything is free but as good citizens we don't abuse of this free service, hehe, I thing the only free service not abused!

Regards

Pierre

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

From a Scandinavian perspective, postings on this subject always surprise me. Anyone with a homeowner's insurance policy here in Sweden is covered for medical treatment, including chamber treatment and evacuation, anywhere in the world. All we have to do is ring SOS' office in Copenhagen (covers all the Scandinavian countries) and get their OK. They are open 24 hours a day and the doctors on the switchboard can usually give an immediate answer. In most cases they will guarantee the doctor/hospital that the insurance company will pay. Exceptionally, though, we may have to pay up front and recover the money from the insurance company afterwards. In case we are too ill or badly injured to ring SOS ourselves, we carry a slip in English from our insurance company requesting the doctor to treat us and guaranteeing to pay him. Our homeowner's policy also includes good travel insurance cover for up to 5 weeks, by the way.

(Edited by John Gulliver at 11:02 am on Dec. 9, 2002)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

So is regular travel insurance is no good for divers?
If so how much is the DAN insurance and where do you get it?
(trying to plan a dive holiday at the mo so any advice on do's and don'ts gratefully received)
Chee-az
Steve

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

Always read the small print with adventure holiay insurance unless its from a dive place (even then!)

Most of the time the restrictions make it almost pointless.

·
PSAI Instructor Trainer
199 Posts
Imported post

Ben on this one did you take out the insurance with redsea divers? I think it covers down to 40 metres and up to £2,000,000 medical. If anyone is interested its by Virgin divers and they offer your money back if your not satisfied with the policy. Only down side I can see is diving kit is limited to £500
Ian

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

cheers Jay, I ended up going with Westfield as per Brens recommendation as the "including spouse" deal makes it the cheapest option.

Does anyone know if extra inoculation are require for Red Sea?   got tetanus, Hep A & B etc

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Steve,
according to my (old) E-111 no jabs are actually required, but are recommended. You do ALL take your E-111's with you dont you as the Insurance Co. small print often requires this form to be used if there is a reciprocal medical cover with the country you are visiting. And we all know what insurance Co.'s are like dont we?
Matt

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Errr....what's an E111 ? shouldn't that be some kind of food colouring?
Seriously though Matt, what is it and wher can you get one?
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

OK found this on the web, I've got my policy number and emergency medical number so think I should be ok (unless anyone knows differently...)
Chee-az
Steve

Reply E111 and E112 E111 - MEDICAL COVER

E111 is for emergency treatment under the state's health care system only. The EEA consists of the member states of the European Community plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

If you are travelling in EC countries and have filled in Form E111 (available from a Post Office), medical treatment under reciprocal health service arrangements should be available to you.
It is advisable to take out travel insurance in addition to this, because few of the countries covered in the arrangements pay the full cost of medical treatment. There may be extra expenses that insurance cover would meet and E111 would not, such as repatriation. Travel insurance will also cover you in the countries where the E111 does not apply.

With most insurance policies, you must disclose full details of any illness of a permanent or recurring nature. The insurers may want a doctor’s note certifying that you are fit to travel.

If you are ill or injured while abroad, keep all doctor’s, chemist’s and hospital bills to support your claim.

Many insurers provide a 24 hour emergency service. Take the number and a copy of the policy with you.

b7hub
Administrator
(11/26/01 4:50:15 pm)
Reply Re: E111 and E112 E112

NON-EMERGENCY TREATMENT IN AN EEA COUNTRY: FORM E112

Form E111 will not cover you for free or reduced-cost treatment if you are going to another EEA country specifically for medical care, or if you require ongoing treatment for a pre-existing condition. For this, you will need Form E112 which is not issued automatically but requires authorisation from the Department of Health. Unless you have an E112, you will have to pay for the treatment you receive and you will not be able to obtain a refund of the costs.

For pre-existing conditions that will require treatment during your time abroad - eg, blood tests, medication or injections, etc. -apply by letter enclosing details, including dates of treatment, supporting medical evidence from your GP and a copy of your E111 to the following address(es):

Department of Health
International Branch
Room 512
Richmond House
79 Whitehall
London SW1A 2NS

Tel: 020 7210 4850 Or, for Northern Ireland:
Department of Health, Social
Services and Public Safety
General Medical and Ophthalmic
Services Branch
Room 436, Dundonald House
Upper Newtownards Road
Belfast BT4 3SF

Tel: 028 9052 0000

Please note, however, that form E112 is only available where a clear need for on-going treatment is established. The form is not available on a ‘just in case’ basis.

If you need maternity care in another EEA country, write to the above address(es) explaining why you want care outside the UK and enclose a copy of your E111 and evidence from your GP or midwife of your expected date of confinement.
Copyright Department of Health

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Steve
I think I'd call the broker, maybe even get it in writing that you DONT need E-111. By the way its easy to fill out the form they stamp it at the PO (think you need your NI number) and it lasts forever (take a photostat copy as well)
unless you use it, then you just replace it when you get home. I'd take mine just to be doubly safe - bit if redundancy there, as I dont trust them Insurance cos at all.
Whose paranoid?
Matt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts