YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Could anybody tell me the safe recommended break between having a general anaesthetic and diving.

I had an arthroscopy on the knee two weeks ago under general anaesthetic, my physio believes that the anaesthetic may affect my diving, although she admits this is just guesswork. I've spoken to my G.P this morning who is also unsure and has given it the "well i dont know, but maybe best wait a while".

I'm going to Malta later this week and have some diving planned, can anybody help?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Darren,

I wont even entertain a guess, your best bet is to post on Divernet and see if Tim Digger, he's a gas man, can give you a more definative answer.

Sorry I cant be anymore helpful

Ian Daly

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

just my two pence worth if you haven't had a reply on divernet, still a student but have just done several weeks of anaesthetics,

theoretically a GA is a drug induced coma, the drugs used do not take too long for your body to metabolise hence why you wake up quite fast after the drugs are stopped. Don't know all the details but most patients keep breathing for themselves on relativly minor ops so don't risk the problems artificial ventilation can have.

Make of the above what you will I HAVEN'T QUALIFIED YET!

personally I'd be more worried about luggin loads of heavy kit on a dodgy (see technical medical terms) knee to soon especially if you have any ACL problems too which might decrease your joint's stability

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Check this link and find one near to you, can't imagine it's going to be a problem after a couple of weeks plus there is still a lot unknown about the actual mechanisms of anaesthesia that you're likely to get very different opinions from different medics
HTH
Steve

http://www.bsac.org/medical/medrefs.htm

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
Imported post

I had similar surgery on my Knee in June.  My consultant advised me not to do too much until after 3 - 4 weeks.  His advice was more concerned with the surgery and stress on the wound.  He never once mentioned any residual problem with the anaesthetic.  I was allowed to drive after two weeks so cant see any problem with it.

However there are concerns about diving when still recovering.  The scar tissue and swolen areas around the wounds will have altered blood flow, these areas could on and off gas at unexpected rates.   Scar tissue has a low blood flow and would have a very long off gassing time.  Not necessarially something to get over worried about but I would stick well inside the limits for the next few weeks until everything has settled down.

If your interested I was diving 5 weeks after my op with no problems.

Good luck and enjoy your break.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts