YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

One of the comments made on the post was, what are our ambitions after the Blue Hole. When you think about it, it is an insane question, the list is endless. It is not about depth, rather experience, but the question did get me thinking, what do I want out of diving this year?

Mark and I were having a chat, I intend to go back to Dahab next New Year, not so much for the diving, but more because it was a great place to be at that time of year Mark on the other hand does not. Part of the conversation brought out the thought that the Arch's at Thomas Reef would be a great dive, too true, and well within the possibilities this year. Mark and I have a weeks diving planned, without partners, probably towards the end of the summer, we will talk more to decide where to go.

For me it is simple, I want to do more of what I did last year, but get onto more unknown wrecks, all in the 60 ~ 70m range.

What about you lot? what are your aims for this year? where do you intend to take your diving over the next 12 months?

Andrew

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

First, got to dive the Moldavia and the Salsette.

Second, l want to go back to "where my heart is" ... Scapa..... been there four times and desperately want to go back, this time a North Isles trip and maybe inside the flow to do the Koln, for about the tenth time.

And sometime, when Marks sorted a Kiss try dive, a rebreather.

Now l'm not sure where the divorce comes in the above list, but its there somewhere.

Now if this was a wish list, l'd wish for the same vis at Dover that l had in Aug 2002, 10-12 mtrs, in good vis the three wrecks l dived that weekend beat the Sound of Mull wrecks.

That'll wind the wild weegie up.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>For 2004 my simple ambition can be summed up in two words .... ST.ABBS.

I haven't been there yet but everyone speaks highly of it for marine life.

Loads of others like the north Clyde wrecks, a liveaboard holiday and generally diving more, but a trip from Kent up to St. Abbs is the must for me for 2004.

·
Never enough time!!!!
86 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Since I've just got my OWSI ticket, my aims this year are to find a school that will let me do a bit of teaching on a part time basis to get some certs under my belt and to try and get some speciality instructor tickets too..  probably wreck, deep, drift, night and anything else that takes my fancy.

In amongst all that I want to dive. Off to Cyprus in March\April for a start - after that, who knows??

PS - anyone know a PADI school that are looking for part time instructors to get me on the way???

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>i want to get myself properly set up with my twinset. i'm booked on a trip to scapa in september (that's one wish taken care of!) and i want to side-sling my pony for use as deco gas. i want to go to dahab sometime, but probably won't be this year. after i do my IFC i want to start taking more people in and developing my training skills.

but in general i just want to dive more  

·
Registered
178 Posts
Imported post

do my advanced Nitrox + deco, put on as many dives as poss this year with the twinset, and hopefully next year move on to Normoxic mix. the ultimate objective being a dozen or so "secret" wrecks in the 60-75m range ..

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (diving dude @ Jan. 08 2004,00:00)]Now if this was a wish list, l'd wish for the same vis at Dover that l had in Aug 2002, 10-12 mtrs, in good vis the three wrecks l dived that weekend beat the Sound of Mull wrecks.
Only 10-12m?  

The sound of Mull wrecks aren't the best in the area by a long chalk, just a lot better than the southern shandy wrecks!

Wait till you get out the Sound and have good viz, I was on a wreck last year that you could see as soon as you left the surface, it was at 35m............................

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Imported post

Firstly I want to complete the Dive Leader Course, currently working slowly through the theory.

Secondly, more diving. I have only scheduled in about 24 dives so far for the year, and this is clearly not enough.
More diving at Anglesey, and some at St Abbs-June anyone?

Schedule more sea dives in for June and September.
May currently has a SQN club trip to Weymouth, but not much else
July is Plymouth (some boat space available-email me if interested) and Cornwall
August is Menorca - S'Algar Diving

2005 return to Lundy. Bliss. Anyone interested? Cos I need to book the boat early this year for next year

I don't really want to go any deeper , as my wife becomes twitchy, so for the moment I will stick one cylinder, plus pony, and minimal deco.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Get in some more UK Sea dives, possibly look at going twins, indies then manifolded, Farnes again (already booked), must see Gums (basking sharks).
SoM - would be nice
Scapa - would also be good
Malta/Gozo - would be nice

Generally just get sorted with the wing.
Thats about all - easily satisfied me.

Matt

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>My ambitions for this year are to get my Sports Diver, which is hopefully a dead cert and dive in the Red Sea in November. Generally do lots more UK dives in as many varied conditions as possible to get my experience up.

Dave C

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>To dive the D-Day wrecks in Normandy had to cancell a trip there last year due to an ear infection

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Me? Well, get the twins re-twinned (taking the manifold and bands to Gav tonight to start that process), get my advanced 'trox, my PADI DM completed, Dive the Farnes, SoM, Scapa, St. Abbs and move my deepest dive goalpost to the 40-50m range......

PS Does anyone remember two Novembers ago a post about the new upstarts in diving and their ambitions prior to the Hayhurst Troxers lark? Heads wanted to do the Donegal wrecks in the 60-70's, I wanted 'troxed up, Wilo was going for mixed gas as was Bren.......

So what ever happened?

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well, I think I've booked most of the stuff I want to do, Looks like I'm on for a Scapa in 2005, The SETT tank has been on my list for a while (april) and then over the summer I'm easy for just about anything that takes my fancy. Anyone need a DM, BSAC TI, and all the usual specs for the summer season? Somewhere hot? Please?

I'm thinking about doign TDI Adv. Nitrox and Deco Proc. but don't know where I'm going to fit it in and whether I really need it right now. I think I might wait until I get a job sorted and then start spending more money than I have.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Got it all worked out and booked already!
June: A weekend trip with my club to the Baltic island of Öland to dive the so-called "E19 massacre", a string of German freighters sunk without firing a shot by the English sub HMS E19 in September 1915. They are more or less intact and the vis at that time of the year is often 20 m. Read about it here:
http://www.ocean-discovery.org/E19.htm
Might be worth a YD trip in June 2005, using Ryanair's cheap flight to Stockholm Skavsta??
August: Hopefully Narvik with YD.
September: Back to Vancouver Island (my third trip).
Apart from that, continue diving locally every week. No ambition to do more training or get more technical but it would be nice if I could become a better u/w photographer.

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Imported post

My ambitions this year are simple!

1) For my Drysuit to finally arrive!
2) do more than 2 dives in the UK
3) to do my AOW course (booked for 24th/25th April)
4) to do basic nitrox (booked with AOW)
5) to gain more diving experience, so by the end of the year I am ready do start doing basic Deco diving next year.

Simon A

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

For me;
Drysuit & Nitrox, do some UK diving, fall in love, start diving HERE every available day. After honeymoon period spend as much time away from HERE as possible (you always need some space). Hopefully trips to Malta and Egypt and ideally somewhere further afield.

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

I'm keen to start doing more random wrecks in the 30m - 40m range, just picking random wrecks from dive dorset or wherever and taking the club rib and having a look see what's there.

Laters,
  Janos

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Ambitions for 2004,

100 plus british dives, Booked on SOM, Farnes, SETT & have a rib in Pembrokshire so should be achievable.
Booked to do 2 weeks in Maldives in October - so looking forward to this.
Finish my Dive Leader & Adv diver.
do my TDI ERD course and Cavern with Martyn Farr.

Oh yes most important of all - don't smoke & enjoy myself..

gareth  

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

Andy

My 2004 objectives are similar to yours....to do more "unknowns" in the 60-70m range.  If 2004 is as good as 2003, I know I won't be disappointed!

My main ambition has always been to lay new line in a cave somewhere.  I doubt if I'll ever get the opportunity but the idea of seeing cave that no man has ever seen before is quite appealing.

They reckon that only about half of the Ox Bel Ha system in Mexico (the longest explored cave in the world) has been explored, so I guess I can dream.....

Bob

1 - 20 of 35 Posts