YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Resident Taste Tester
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boo!

I've got high blood pressure and the doc has proscribed medication, so Diving is curtailed until my BP is back to a reasonable level. The question is though will I be able to dive whilst on BP Meds? A brief Google seems to suggest that controled BP is not an issue, but I was sondeign if anyone has any experience of BSAC medical referees opinions on the matter.

I'm also going on a diet to try and contribute to the BP reduction, but there are no garuntees in that direction apparently :(

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
Unless you've got some sort of genetic predispotion to high BP, a reduction of salt in your diet can have a very quick result in dramatically reducing it.

I suffer from periodic migraines and was prescribed Atenolol beta-blockers, which is also commonly prescribed for high BP. I was advised by the DDRC not to dive whilst taking them but others here are doing so. Try giving the DDRC a ring and see what they say, they're very helpful about this kind of thing.

BSAC Medical Referees

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
There are several classes of blood pressure medication, some are better for diving than others. Beta blockers are not good apparently, but are also apparently rarely prescribed nowadays for BP.

I'm on some stuff called Losartan (AKA Cozaar) which is apparently fine for diving. Had to get a sports diver medical, but that was no problem.

Talk to a medical referee - they'll be able to advise you on what meds are OK. Go back to your GP with that information if what you're currently prescribed is not suitable. Then go back to the referee for a sports diver medical once your BP is down to normal levels.

I used the London Diving Chamber and was happy with them, but any of the referees on Nick's list should be able to help.

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
I'm on Atenalol and they don't like it for diving. I think it reduces your ability to cope with sudden workloads. My excuse for that is my age not my medications.

I got treadmilled before my UKSD medical last year and they increased the slope and the rate until I hit 200 beats a minute and since I didn't die they passed me. (at least that's how I think it worked).

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Hi Beardy,

try this UKSDMC medical standards- hypertension as a diabetic at my last medical I was told they had moved the posts so before I was normal now I suddenly became borderline.

I have since lost over 2 stone and this has helped to reduce it to the lowest on my record.

Good luck.

Safe diving,
Steve

Reactions: GLOC

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
I have since lost over 2 stone and this has helped to reduce it to the lowest on my record.
Holy cow Steve, you must have been a right fat f*cker then ;)

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Holy cow Steve, you must have been a right fat f*cker then ;)
I prefer the term ''provocatively rounded'' :D

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Resident bibliophile
129 Posts

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I would think, if you have been prescribed medication, that your BP should be within range fairly quickly, but that will depend on how high it was. Your doc also may be concerned about the effect on your heart, as prolonged untreated hypertension can cause enlargment of the left ventrical. This would be picked up on an ECG apparently.

As others have said, betablockers are a bit of a no-no, and you wouldn't get through an HSE diving medical on them.

I don't have any problems with Lisinopril, but then I also didn't have any problems with the beta blocker I was on before it. :)

Best of luck and welcome to the club :)!

·
Optimist
119 Posts
Beta Blockers

As others have already said, beta blockers are a no no. I have high blood pressure and use an Ace Inhibitor to control it. I am an Instructor and have a HSE diving medical every year with no problems.
Tony

1 - 11 of 11 Posts