YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

what do we want from diving books?

if i am preposing to go on a diving trip i usually purchace a book of the area and have a read of the wercks arround the area, usually the choice of the wrecks is down to the charterboat
thus far the books have been just for armchare reading

but for the last few years i have been organising trips where we are diving off ribs and finding the wrecks for ourselves, for this i have found that local diving books have come up short

my opinion (whats yours)
a diving book written for divers should include all the following
1, depth/size
2, a breif history
3, a diving breif, including what you expect to see, the state of the wreck, marine life, typical visability at different times of the year, (eg=may is a no no because of plankton blooms)
4, accurate and verified co-ordinateds/ transits
5, what state of the tide is best to dive, (eg= only dive at low water slack, 35mins past holyhead) and tidal windows/ tidal streams outside windows(eg=the fangs can be a good drift dive, but only dive just befour of just after slack as huge tidal streams are verry dangerous at mid tide)
6, local charter boats, air fills, tourist info centre
7, diver level required, not saying that you can say what levle of diver can do a dive, but some dives at 15m should not be dived by novice divers
8, divers oppinions, 2/3 divers giving a brief account of the dive

the most important is co-ordinates and diving times for planning a dive

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Imported post

dive angelsey by scott waterman,
got me all exited, as we dive out of angelsey a lot, scott a local diver and charterboat skipper, so my hopes where high,
had dived of scotts boat (quest) half a dossen times, and had a high opinion of scott

the book
was on first impression great, had all the info you might want to organise a dive trip, gave it a 10/10 and recomended it to several people
i was a bit supprised that the most well known wrecks where not in the book, but was informed that there will be a second book comming out soon

i was out on our rib (not diving) and thaught i would have a bit of practace at finding and shoting a couple of wrecks, i launch from mennine so tried the hoveringham first, could not pick it up on the sounder, tried for 40 mins, and put it down to my incompitance, tried the same with another wreck (cant rember the name) and same result
was out the following week but this time i was at low water (the hoveringham is visable out of the water at low water)
the books co-ordinates where 1/2 a mile away from the actual wreck, i know scott has the actual co-ordinates as i had dived these wrecks off his boat?
at this i lost all confidence it the co-ordinates in the book, spoke to scott and he told me that he had not done the co-ordinates, that they had  just been taken off the charts,

i would still recomend the book and i will buy the second book, but befour you plan any dive i would advise getting alternative co-ordinates
note*
i have been informed that some of the co-ordinates are verry close, but not which ones

as for my first post
dive books that are amed at divers organising dives should have at least the infomation i specified

yellow butty box and angalsey diver are local (to angelsey) divers/charterboat skippers/salvage  who  are composing a booklet of the area, and i have high hopes as there knowlage of the area is obviously vast,
my question to them is:-
how important do you think, is having actual diving info, as per my previous post, and what is your opinion of what a good diving book should contain?

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Details on air fills and local contacts would be a bit naff in a book as they could be out of date before the book comes off the press. How bout a book with general data linked to an active web site with weekly updates.

As for divers opinions
?

Thats so tricky. As an example: I have dived the countess of Ern more times than I care to think about and they were all crap dives. However I got blown out on the M2 last year and gues what we did the CofE and I had a great dive. Viz 15m loads of fish even tropical ones in the hold and I came up with half a dozen oysters.?
If it had been that good before I would be jumping at the chance to do it again. But no, did in in January and it was the same lifeless crap viz hulk I rememberd from before.

All my Mol trips have had fantastic viz. My dive instructor Paul said every time he dived it the viz was rubbish?

So what we realy need is a basic book  as in the Dive Kent ,Sussex etc range with details on best tide to dive on tide times, available slip access etc. and an active database linked to the information.

A charge of say £30 a year or £2.00 a visit could be made for access to the site and this would provide wether forcasts and reports from key divers / skippers in the areas on day to day conditions. Said divers  / skippers could be paid, say £5 for a report on the site funded by the membership fee and that would encourage numerous and up to date feed back. Individuals can then add there thaughts on the site if they wish.

It is not possable to get this info for free at the moment coz I have tried. The free available wether forcasting sites have been wildly wrong when dives were cancled and the site said conditions wre good and dives went ahead when the site said conditions were bad, Thats because the shipping forcast is totaly diferent from the land bassed forcast and you cant get the up to date shipping one for free.

This info would have saved me some early mnornings and long drives in the past so I would be willing to pay for it.

All it needs to work is a good base of diver interest like YD to get the thing mooving and I think it would fly.

Just a thaught

Mark Chase

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

mark chase

love the idea about an internet databace with weather links etc, i looked into this idea a while back and its not as easy as an access databace

my thaughts on an internet databace

1, it will need to be an sql server databace, this is the only databace for the job, unfortunatley you need an internet guro to design set up and administer the databace, this is way beond the relms of most of us who have dabbled with access (this forum is a complex sql databace)
2, it will need its own website and server hosting, not a problem
3, several people to be incharge of certain areas, there would be far to much info for any one person to enter/update/adminastrate

people you need
administrator/coordinator
databace programer/admin
website programer/admin

you would then split the uk into 6 areas each with a team of experts/admins, for example the north west area would sub split 1,sol to liverpool bay 2,conway to cardagen bay 3 then down to cardif, needing at least 1/2 experts in each area

in total you would need a team of over 20 people

if you have a system where people add wrecks themselves and no local experts, then you would soon have a databace full of conflicting infomation, people can add wrecks but you need an admin to oversee it

maybe this would be feasable to start with just one area, you would only need 4/5 dedicated people involved, the possabilities for this are endless, and i hope we will see this come to be

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Oh dear

Like so many of my ideas high in concept and low in knoladge

Ho Hum sounded good thow and if any one wants to set one up in the SE covering kent and Sussex cost line I would be pleased to assist in any way I could. Unfortunatly I am still strugling with Avtars and Quotes so I am sadly lacking in in depth computer internet type knoladge.

I got a web page design package and it is still inthe box and that was a year ago.  
 I read the instruction book covering the basics of HTML and thaught bugger that.

Ho Hum

Mark Chase

1 - 5 of 5 Posts