YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

has anyone got a Dive checklist already made up..
Im to lazy to do one and probably forget some thing important ( We had one of the guys this week-end forget his weight belt )
Steve

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

My ten point checklist (for totally essential items) and the reasons for the grouping:

Mask fins snorkel (all basic eqipment)

hood suits gloves (all items for your bod, suits includes outer and under suits)

Tanks regs stab (these, technically, comprise 'the aqualung' )

Weights (includes main weight belt and leg irons for those with floaty feet problems)

Once you get the hang of it, you can check your kit in a matter of seconds, as groupings of three are particularly convenient for mnemonic purposes, (something to do with the Anglo-saxon basis of our language)

I try to drill this mantra into all divers who can't list all their kit in under five seconds, woe betide any trainee who refuses to learn the mantra then turns up for a training dive without their weightbelt! ;)

Since devizing this list as a raw trainee som years ago, I've never turned up to a dive site without an essential bit of kit, stuff like torches, dSMBs etc are desirable but forgetting them generally won't abort a dive.
HTH
Steve
PS: now anyone who see me staring into the boot of my car, looking vacant and going "la la la, la la la, la la la....la" will understand that I am not certifiably insane after all ;)

(Edited by Steve W at 12:50 pm on Oct. 29, 2002)

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Gotta say I keep all my kit and a dirty great big box and then decant into another for dive trips.

I also will lay out all the kit I need doing a layout of what I'll need for that day's diving.

Major thing for me is to remember spares like o rings, fin straps, spare bungy, inflator hose etc. I keep this in a wee tool box and it's already come in very handy. Never go anywhere without an allen key (suitable for cylinder) and a flat bladed screwdriver.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I generally run through it in the order I'll put it on, ie undersuit, drysuit, BCD, etc...

Mind you, since almost everything I take on a dive is either in my suit pockets or permanently attached to my harness, it's not a very long list

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Yeah, I had a discussion re the "Dress yourself" style of check c.f. my "10 point list" with a budding Dive Leader/trainee instructor. I think it works fine for one experienced diver, especially folk who own their own kit, but when you've got "the little darlings" (aka trainees with hired club kit)  to look out for, it can lead to IHDS (Instructor Hair Deficiency Syndrome) ;)

Scenario:
A Trainee (young inexperienced 18 year old undergrad, still half asleep) is ready for the off on a sunday morning at 7.30am,

Me "you got everything? "
THem "Errr think so..."
Me "OK, how many items SHOULD you have"
THem " Dunno...let me think "
five minutes later  "errr yeah, got all my stuff"
Me " you sure? how many bits of kit should you have packed "
Them " Well, me hat, err i mean hood thingy, and me mask ,and err err......"

Alternative scenario
Me "you got everything"
THem " Hang on I'll check: MSF, HSG, TRS - weights,  yeah, lets go..."

THere's nothing more pathetic than the trainee who turns up to a dive site (eg Crummock) and they've forgotten kit and have to sit around waiting for others to finish so they can borrow kit to get into the water. Especially when you wanted to do two dives with two trainees at a time and now you've got to do four dives, and its 5 degrees water, getting dark and a its two hours from the dive store....

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Gavin Yates on 1:26 pm on Oct. 29, 2002
Major thing for me is to remember spares like o rings, fin straps, spare bungy, inflator hose etc
<span =''>Ahem, especially when you've been away on holiday, taken your inflator hose off, and then drive 200 or so miles to meet up for a dive.....

:wallywink:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

AHH thank god for paste and cut..
Anyone Dives with me gets a sheet from know on..The chap who left his weight belt on, Borrowed mine and forget to take out the xtra weights..   Dive.. Dive.. took on new meaning  :eek:uttahere:

·
Banned
217 Posts
Imported post

The amount of stuff to remember with CCR is scary!!  O-Ring checks, battery voltage checks, cell output checks, scrubber duration checks, negative/positive pressure checking, interstage pressure checking, altitude mBar readings, etc etc to name just a few pre dive checks!!!

You guys have it easy!!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Sounds like it Ammers...Yah for simple Diving

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>here is my dive checklist, may be OK.

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>pre-dive planning checklist

1 - 12 of 12 Posts