YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Slippery when wet
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just taken over as Chair of my diving club and would like us to have a membership database. I would like it to store personel details plus qualifications etc. Is there anything available or does anybody have a datbase that I could adapt, I would need it to be written in MS Access.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
I have just taken over as Chair of my diving club and would like us to have a membership database. I would like it to store personel details plus qualifications etc. Is there anything available or does anybody have a datbase that I could adapt, I would need it to be written in MS Access.
BSAC? Or even not, there is someone Steve Grr IIRC on the BSAC forum who has done this kind of thing. So have I, but it is rickety and I am fed up with trying to cope with all the syllabus changes.

Adrian

·
Registered
767 Posts
Sorry I can't help with the information, but isn't more likely that you will fall foul of the data protection act if you put it on the computer rather than give everybody a page in a big loose leaf file. I know it isn't sensible but I think it applies. I know all my confidential data is on a machine that will not connect to the internet.

Best of luck,
David.

·
1,171 Posts
I dont believe it matters whether it is in a paper file or on a pc these days, you still have to follow the DPA principles.

I have used Dive Data - Scuba Club Records Management for many years......generally works well although I dont know if Steve has done an update for DTP2007, you may have to do that yourself (which isnt really that difficult as you can add as many lessons as you like!).

Hope this helps

David.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
i think ours is in access. I don't knwo what infor we have on it, I will check with the membership sec & let you know
:)

·
I came, I saw, I dived
552 Posts
I wrote one for our club a few years ago in MS Access, PM me if you want a copy, it'll take me a few days to clear out our records.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Sorry I can't help with the information, but isn't more likely that you will fall foul of the data protection act if you put it on the computer rather than give everybody a page in a big loose leaf file. I know it isn't sensible but I think it applies. I know all my confidential data is on a machine that will not connect to the internet.

Best of luck,
David.
DPA applies only for stored personal information for BUSINESS usage only. ie if non-profiting club, then I don't think that is classed as business use, but I will look it up tomorrow.

·
Just another pikey diver...
1,993 Posts
Two thoughts from a non-expert. First, re Data Protection etc, I think you're fine with Club member data - BUT you get into difficulties (strictly speaking) if you hold any NON-MEMBERS' details (mailing list etc). At the very least I'd suggest you need to make it clear to everyone concerned that you're holding personal details about them on computer.

Second, just be slightly wary of "Access" - check which version you have, and which version anyone's giving you. I know that Access 2000 databases won't open in Access 97, for example - I've not researched the issues between Access 2000, XP, 2003, 2007 etc etc.

Good luck!

·
diving member
1,996 Posts
DPA applies only for stored personal information for BUSINESS usage only. ie if non-profiting club, then I don't think that is classed as business use, but I will look it up tomorrow.
I thought it applied for anything stored either electronically or on paper - records of any nature.

Can anyone give me a difinitive on this please.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Nope, it applies to any organisation holding personal information.

Adrian

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
For a small number of records why not use excel?

Oh and yes the DPA applies and you need to follow its rules and register the database, something you need to consider the cost implications of.

I have a small phone number and email database on the Yahoo page, so they (Yahoo) hold the info and members only post their data if they want to.

Chris

[edit] just checked and you don't need to register the database - just follow the principles...
3.4 Membership - BSAC - see 3.4.11 [/edit]

·
Registered
431 Posts
we get people to sign a disclaimer when they initially join saying they consent to their details being held on the database, and allowing them to opt in/out of what we publish as a contact list.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts