YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Diving during the early / late months - Are you a all year round diver.

• September - April

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • October - March

• November - Febuary

• December - January

• Never, i'm a all rounder

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all you lovely divers,

I'm wondering when most of you hang up your suits and have a break off diving during the latter parts of the year.
Hopefully most of you are hardened all year rounders like us down in Kent.

YES, this is a quick survey for a new business venture.

thanks in advance.

Andy

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

I don't dive much through the winter as the sea is too rough and the nearest inland sites worth a dive (that I know of) are a 3 or 4 hours drive each way. Maybe one trip a month. Horsea Island is abt 2 to 3 hours away but I find it pretty boring.

I always do my first sea dive too early in the season - pay £35 for a charter and get pitch black and zero viz - every bloody year!!!

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Andy

I try to be an 'all year rounder' weather permitting. I don't include pits/quarries in this, its cheating! Although trips abroad may tend to happen in the 'offseason'  

I have had 6 month breaks over past winters, mainly for DIY reasons. All the better for summer to get this done in winter.

Diving all year round also avoids those silly 'work up' dives. You're already worked up.

Adrian

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

Our club organises dives from March through to October, and it's unlikely I get the chance to dive outside that, but if given the chance (and diving opportunity), I'd dive all year round.
But, for the poll, I guess I have to say what i do, not what i'd like (if that makes sense!)
Regards
Martin

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Here on the west coast of Sweden we're fortunate to have no tide and lots of protected sites, thanks to our islands and fiords. Shore diving is easiest and best in a fiord about an hour and a half's drive north of Gothenburg, so that's mostly where we dive in the winter as most diveboats are on shore at that time of the year. The only thing that can stop us is if all the bays are frozen solid, as they were for about 3 weeks last winter, but that is exceptional. Personally, I don't dive if the air temperature falls below about 10 °C, but that usually only happens late at night – we usually dive early evening, after work, before the temperature drops to minimum levels.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Imported post

All year round.  2 out of the last 3 years even managed a Christmas day dive.

But I suppose this isn't a fair comparison as air temp on 25/12 was 25 C and water was 16 C.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wetlettuce @ Aug. 26 2003,12:24)]I dive all year round, don't care where.
Andy

I do care where I dive. It's part of my planning. I won't dive for the sake of it, and I won't dive if I don't feel like it.

It's when you don't care that complacency starts.

Adrian

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Admittedly, it tends to be more inland during the winter months, but I dive all the year round.
Why do you think I was after a full-face hood?

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Aug. 26 2003,15:19)]Admittedly, it tends to be more inland during the winter months, but I dive all the year round.
Dominic

When its so cold to need a full face hood, you don't need one. You won't feel a thing after a couple of minutes.  

I did an ice dive once. After the exit I was bleeding form lots of little cuts to the face from the ice shards. Never felt one of them. Though a full face hood would have helped in this case.

Adrian

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ Aug. 26 2003,15:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wetlettuce @ Aug. 26 2003,12:24)]I dive all year round, don't care where.
Andy

I do care where I dive. It's part of my planning. I won't dive for the sake of it, and I won't dive if I don't feel like it.

It's when you don't care that complacency starts.

Adrian
<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

Are you being serious? You can't be!

That statement simply means I am willing to dive freshwater or saltwater all year round and do so. Just a generalisation to help Andy out with his marketing research.

It has nothing to do whatever with how I conduct diveplanning and complacency although admittedly it does help to turn up to the same place as your buddy LOL

Andy

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wetlettuce @ Aug. 26 2003,15:41)]Are you being serious? You can't be!

That statement simply means I am willing to dive freshwater or saltwater all year round and do so. Just a generalisation to help Andy out with his marketing research.
No Andy I wasn't serious with you. I have read enough of your posts to have a view on how I think you approach your diving.  

I was serious re the pit bit though. I used Vobster a couple of months ago to test vatious regs at depth in cold conditions. See how they behave, freeflow, for comfort etc. I view such places as an appropriate place for certain training and testing, but not for general diving. The sea is too close to me for that  

It's a shame that you can't make the Plymouth gig, I was looking forward to meeting you and seeing what I could pick up from you on your DIR setup and course. Another time maybe.

Adrian

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When its so cold to need a full face hood, you don't need one. You won't feel a thing after a couple of minutes.    

I did an ice dive once. After the exit I was bleeding form lots of little cuts to the face from the ice shards. Never felt one of them. Though a full face hood would have helped in this case.
Gee, you make it sound so appealing

I know from experience that you stop feeling.. well, everything
after a while in the cold. It's just that nasty few moments beforehand where you think "*&^% me it's £$%^ing cold in here!!" that I want to avoid

Ice shards aren't a likely threat to me any time soon, but I might consider wearing my full-face hood anywhere jellyfish are likely to be an issue - did you know even those diddy ones in Horsea can sting humans?

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Aug. 26 2003,15:19)]Admittedly, it tends to be more inland during the winter months, but I dive all the year round.
I believe there were some inferences made!!  

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ Aug. 26 2003,15:51)]
<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It's a shame that you can't make the Plymouth gig, I was looking forward to meeting you and seeing what I could pick up from you on your DIR setup and course. Another time maybe.
It is a shame, I really did want to come along. I haven't been on a full on YD gig yet, but I will.

Andy

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Aug. 26 2003,15:52)]- did you know even those diddy ones in Horsea can sting humans?
Dom,

No I did not AND WHAT IS MORE I have told people that were going there that they don't sting - I'm shocked.
Anyway, nobody complained.

How many more times - FFM !!!!!
There are only pros and no cons. What did you say ? La la la ... can't hear you ... la la la.

Rgds
Bryan

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have told people that were going there that they don't sting
Haven't we all.. even the Horsea bods have said they can't sting.
But the truth is, they usually don't... but they can if the mood takes them - one of our instructors once came away with a swollen lip, looked like he'd been smacked in the face

1 - 20 of 36 Posts