YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>I have been trawling through dive mags and a lot of manufacturers websites and come to the conclusion that we are being charged a large amount of money for the equipment required by the sport. In some cases, say a drysuit, it costs about twice the weekly wage of the average worker. Sometimes mark up on an item is as much as 100%.

Does this put the sport out of the reach of many people that would like to have a go at diving.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>No it dosn't seem to, One of the lads that I learned to dive with, has never had a job scince i've known him and has managed to procure all the kit he requires.
Mind you I keep telling him he's the local fence or drug dealer.

Morover we have a young girl of 15 in our club who has no dad with a wallet to provide for her sport so has worked part time in a pub colecting glasses, to buy her own kit.

Having said that our club undertakes to lend kit whilst you are learning  the only thing being you have to rent or buy is a dry or semi dry suit for your open water needs.  

·
Registered
115 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>i agree dive kit is expensive, in most cases i believe the expense is due to design, strict manufacturing processes and materials, but on the other hand there are some goods that are expensive for quality/features etc. Also, its not like many parts are optional, people have to pay high prices.

I've worked hard to get all my gear being a student, i had a job throughout college to get my full set of kit, but now im wanting to do deeper stuff im really struglling! (pm me for my address if you want to make a donation...
)

One example of outrageous price is the Halcyon Defender (hope i dont start a DIR war...) spool spotted in the Capernwray shop this weekend, £37 for a little spool and some line and a double ended clip!! This is the most basic and simple product ive seen, yet probably a reallly good profit margin.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Chris,

I agree some kit does seem expensive when you start, to me things like reels and DSMB's do seem a lot for what you get, however I had to buy a new suit last year, cost about £500, more than my weeks wages but how many dives will it do, 500 well thats a £1 per dive having said that I have had three since I started and still haven't reach 500, but I will in April.  So doesn't seem too bad then.  
 Had my car serviced in August cost over £300 now that's what I consider a bit pricey, still I need the car to go diving.  Went to Divers Warehouse on Saturday thought I might pick up a bargin but I was wrong, had to buy a new cell for my O2 analyser, £40 again not much if it saves your life.

Oh, well there must be cheaper hobbies  

Fiona

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Chris Hall @ Nov. 02 2003,17:38)]Sometimes mark up on an item is as much as 100%.
Chris,

There's no 'sometimes' about it mate! Dry-suits and the ilk are regularly sold for 200 to 300% mark-up, and in certain cases more. But then we have to weigh that against 'worth' and 'value': I dive a DUI TLS 350 and paid, and unblushingly no discount offered by SDS, £741 each for my wife's and mine; now ask me would I gladly pay that amount again for the same suit and the answer is an unflinching 'yes'. The suit is worth its weight in gold and flies like a dream, never leaks and has been put through some genuinely rough-house days and never ripped/torn or failed in any way.

As to whether these prices put diving beyond certain peoples' reach, may be; but look around you at any dive site (sea or inland) and you'll see that grand old British fashion/tradition of the 'cobbled-kit' deployment: bits and pieces taken from all over the shop and used on the basis 'it works, don't it?' You don't get extra points in diving for 'looking good'.

If folks want to dive, I have every confidence that they will find a way: begged, stolen or borrowed - I should have just typed 'BSAC' and had done with it!  

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Well, a lot of things are much cheaper in the UK than here in Sweden, which is why most of my kit was bought in the UK. The reason is probably that the population of Sweden is under 9 million, so that it's a much smaller market. The shops' mark-up is not all that big, it's the agents/importers that rip us off. For example, UK torches, imported from the USA, are about half the price in the UK, as are Mares' computers, imported from Italy.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

I didn't flinch at paying over £600 for my Gates dry suit BUT you want to hear me whinge abt the price of O rings ("that's 20p each!!!").

You wait until you want a RB - then you can tell me stuff is expensive.

·
My Nark is much worse that my Bite!
657 Posts
Imported post

Never been into a dive shop in the uk...but here in Spain equipment is expensive, everything is priced at ' rrp '. And equipment from the UK, seems to be converted from the higher exchange rate of last year with a few euro's added.
The cheapest MARES equipment I found was on a web site from Denmark.
If your into ' DIR ' or want a good wing, the ' Halcyon '  Explorer 40 lb wing system COMPLETE, is on offer at ' Dunya Diving ' in the Netherlands, for 400 euro's....given an exchange rate of 1.45, thats £275.00. Thats £191.00 cheaper than ' Dirdirect ' [ £466 ]  It's still £120.00 cheaper than their current offer of £395.00. And wether you earn £1000.00 per week or £200 per week, £120.00 is still alot of money.

Scubadog...

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

hi ya chris  
i also think that kit is quite expensive to buy,but i suppose u get what you pay for in this life ive not done bad personaly and have got a few good second hand bargains, the main outlay was my commercial suit from roho which come to £510 with the hood and hose and duffle bag as regards to diving being more for the more well off
??? i suppose i would rather do without a few nights out and buy myself a new torch or something of a diving nature than just waste it against the wall (if u know what i mean)

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

I got my first set of gear for £250, a sherwood BC, Regs and Tortech bottle.  They are all still going strong - they are ex-hire and about 5th hand!  My mum bought me my drysuit (bless her cottons), and i was given bits n bobs which i handed on to other trainees once i got my own too.

However, once i got a proper job, the least i spent in a month in 4 months was £250 putting my twinset together (come payday i would be on the phone to denneys with the latest order).  I dont regret doing that at all.  I spent £400 on a torch, which was ridiculed by many people in my club - until they saw it underwater, and then they backpedalled so fast it was unreal.  I still have and use my first torch i got for a tenner.

Yes your original outlay will be a lot - i reckon i spent about £750 to get in the water for my first dive, and i got most stuff second hand (except my suit cos no-one else is anywhere near the size of me - fat arse and tiny feet).  But since then i have spent a whole lot more getting my gear to where i want it to take me.

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Chris Hall @ Nov. 02 2003,17:38)]Sometimes mark up on an item is as much as 100%.

Does this put the sport out of the reach of many people that would like to have a go at diving.

???
Very few things that dive shops sell are marked up by 100%, even if they are that means something bought from a dive shop for 100 pounds will have cost 50 after the vat man has his or her bit profit will be  around 35 pounds.

Here is an example of prices for you strait out of Scubapro's trade price list, dated 1st march 2002; MK25/S600 RRP 365.00 trade 202.78, mark up less than 100%, profit after vat, 107.85, less than 30%.

Is that too much? i dont know.

This sport is out of the reach of people that want to dive, but i think most people would be able to 'have a go' for not a lot of money and free in most cases, Sky diving, horse riding and golf are also out of the reach for the same people, me as well.

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (yipeediver @ Nov. 03 2003,20:40)]i suppose i would rather do without a few nights out and buy myself a new torch or something of a diving nature than just waste it against the wall (if u know what i mean)
i agree

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>heres one for you.

Me and a mate of mine did a comparision over a year some years back, starting on New Years Day to the following New Years eve and had a small wager on it........ and yes i won.

What we did was i added up the valve of all my RECREATIONAL dive kit only and came up with a price of £ 3200 and add up all my costings for wreck diving and any equipment / spares i bought, I did not scrimp and save, just dived normally as per pervious years.

NOW

He is a mad football player and a Arsenal supporter,, over the year he spent money on season tickets , coach & train fares, beer , football shirts, bits and pieces .

I can't remember what the exact amounts were that was spent , but his wife agreed when she paid out his bet that he had spent £ 800 more than me .

I'm glad i dive ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that PAUL OLIVER must be on mega bucks , as he dives and is a football and rugby supporter

Andy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Imported post

Kit is expensive - my wife and I got fully kitted out for warm water almost 2 years ago and it cost what seemed to be a fortune.

However, a tip.  We bought everything from a London branch of Decathalon (French sports chain).  I reckon we got everything at least 25% cheaper than anywhere else including online, and allowing for the volume discount.

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steve mcgowan @ Nov. 03 2003,21:50)]Kit is expensive - my wife and I got fully kitted out for warm water almost 2 years ago and it cost what seemed to be a fortune.

However, a tip.  We bought everything from a London branch of Decathalon (French sports chain).  I reckon we got everything at least 25% cheaper than anywhere else including online, and allowing for the volume discount.
<font color='#0000FF'>its apples and oranges, i was in a decathelon store in sunny manchester, cheap kit, but no air, no advice and i didnt think there was much choice, it was a few years ago, things may have changed.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (darthmoll @ Nov. 03 2003,23:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (steve mcgowan @ Nov. 03 2003,21:50)]Kit is expensive - my wife and I got fully kitted out for warm water almost 2 years ago and it cost what seemed to be a fortune.

its apples and oranges, i was in a decathelon store in sunny manchester, cheap kit, but no air, no advice and i didnt think there was much choice, it was a few years ago, things may have changed.
<font color='#0000FF'>No, dont think so, I go to decathalon for some things, like gym equipment recently bought an eliptical trainer, but would never buy dive kit. Poor choice, even worse advise, I like to listen in to some of the things they say, I gave one couple advise on Snorkelling equipment once.  They are supposed to know what they are going on about.  But most only have basic quals and that doesn't give you experience to sell kit.

Fiona

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (darthmoll @ Nov. 04 2003,00:28)]I was in a Decathelon store in sunny Manchester. Cheap kit, but no air, no advice and I didnt think there was much choice.
I don't know anything about Decathlon but that sounds a lot like buying online, and if it's cheaper ...................

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

When it comes to costs, look at it this way:

Companies want to make profits. If they cut costs, they'll cut quality to make up for it.

Do you really want to use life-preserving equipment that's had corners cut to save money?

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Nov. 04 2003,10:52)]When it comes to costs, look at it this way:

Companies want to make profits. If they cut costs, they'll cut quality to make up for it.

Do you really want to use life-preserving equipment that's had corners cut to save money?
No, definitely not. However I don't like feeling I am being ripped off - which I do at times (usually on the cheaper items).

To be honest I would pay more than I already do to go diving - there is no need to mention that bit to any suppliers

I want a RB. The Inspiration and other CCR RBs seem to be extortionately expensive. How do you quantify a price for R&D + how much s/b passed on to us. I feel sure if AP could get the cost of an Inspiration down to abt £2k they would sell a lot more units - smaller margins but earning a lot more of them.

Mind you, more of them means less exclusivity (sad git that I am).  

1 - 20 of 33 Posts