YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I decided its time to get properly fit for diving and I need some help with a regime to get me in shape anyone have a good starting point for someone that is extremely unfit.

I have no ideas where to start other than possibly doing some endurance training.

Please help me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys ill check out that book and try and put together a good circuit training regime for myself and report back once its done

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
It's all relative. Unless you're some kind of highly tuned athlete I'd recommend you just go out and do a decent mix of training. Low intensity, high intensity, core and weights. Four or five sessions a week should do it. TBH a decent triathlon program would be ideal. Plenty on the web

·
Devout Sceptic
4,726 Posts
I think the important thing for divers is Cardiovascular Fitness. The process of achieving it also goes a long way towards physical fitness.

You don't need an particular athletic ability or strength for diving so complex training plans are superfluous unless you want to join a gym and do all that stuff.

If you are truly unfit and in poor shape it's a good idea to get a general health check before starting any strenuous regime. Brisk walking and cycling are a great way to start and then jogging and running as your fitness improves.

I do quite a lot of running and even managed nearly 30 miles on my hols in Tenerife over the last couple of weeks. I spent nearly as much time running as I did diving!
But at least I know it wont be my air consumption that turns the dive :)

I'd feel like a caged animal in a gym and prefer the freedom of the open road. No membership fees or opening times to worry about either!

Reactions: gabrielt

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just start off slowly, maybe 3 or 4 pints a night. You'll soon work yourself up to 10 pints a night :D :D lol. Once that is mastered you can then start on the spirits :D :D . Should be dive fit by the summer :D :D

(Yes I am only joking :spliff: )

·
Devout Sceptic
4,726 Posts
Our CT sessions take place in our village, so it is very friendly. Plus our instructor is very assertive ;) if you like that sort of thing
I'm not sure even having a dominatrix personal trainer would do it for me :)

I hate running machines and need the fresh air in my face else I severely overheat. Not into group fitness either. Running time is my time.
No music, no chatter no fit women to distract me! Just me and the open road (and the traffic) alone with my thoughts :)

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
I hate running machines and need the fresh air in my face else I severely overheat. Not into group fitness either. Running time is my time.
No music, no chatter no fit women to distract me! Just me and the open road (and the traffic) alone with my thoughts :)
Variety in the training also helps. Just back from a 3 mile run :)

·
Devout Sceptic
4,726 Posts
Variety in the training also helps. Just back from a 3 mile run :)
You are probably correct.
I keep threatening to start cycling too/from work. it's only 2 miles each way after all! But enthusiasm is limited :(

My last run was a 5 miler in Tenerife last Monday. This weather is definitely an advert for joining a gym.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dive fitness

Well guys, I'm in the same boat. Haven't dived for about a year and am extremely unfit. I've decided to go down the route of sprints. I get plenty of exercise a work (Lifting etc...) but my cardio capability is dreadful. having read various fitness routines on the web it seems to be a good way to go for me. Just three 20 minute workouts a week.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Theres loads of couch to 5k programmes on the web. If you want to burn calories or want to improve on cardiovascular fitness. Running is the best way. However you may need to build up slower than if you cross train. I went from couch to 4hr marathon in 11months.

·
Registered
284 Posts
My current program is T25 advertised/sold on those strange tv shop programs, though ask around as lots of used copys about.
As a ex gym freak have seen the biggest failing for those starting off is the time issue, 30mins to get to the gym 60mins in the gym 30mins home before you know it your into hours for a single session. The above program is as simple as starting pc and leaping around a small space for 25mins we could all spare that time. For variety I run and cycle again never in a gym as find the hamster treadmills soul destroying. At the end it must be something you enjoy and feel motivated to do.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Start things slow and mix things up!

I had open heart surgery at 30 years old last November. Non-smoker, non-drinker and jogged 3 times a week. It all stemmed from a disease I had at 9 months old but with 12 weeks off I had time to seriously evaluate and look back on my exercising and food intake and how it would need to change - both in terms of the years ahead as well as getting back into diving. The things I learnt have helped me to get up to 8 mile runs and pass a Dive Medical with flying colours, so I hope I can help you with some of the things I took on. When I started exercising again I was 3 stone over weight and couldn't walk for 15 minutes without being tired.

I learnt that both CV and Weight Training should go hand-in-hand - CV training (Aerobic) results in the heart being able to pump a larger volume of blood through an increase in the size of the ventricles in your heart. Weight/Resistance training (Anaerobic) results in the thickening of the myocardial wall to push blood through arteries compressed by muscular contraction. One without the other can cause imbalances and be counter-productive.

Everyone has to start somewhere - and no matter what your starting point is we're all the same: take it slow, feed your body with the right stuff and get a good nights sleep. I used a 'couch to 5k' running app to start with and then upgraded to their full app which has helped enormously. There are ten's of them out there, mostly free, but I paid for 'Zombies, Run!' which adds a little more fun into the mix! I also invested in a small weights kit for upper body exercises at home, and alternated the days with the running so legs could recover and strengthen.

I wanted to enjoy the exercises, not commit to them wishing for the time to go quicker. Going slowly helped me crave going out for a run or working out.

And remember RICE. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. You should apply at least two of these whether you have an injury or not, the constant impact from exercise like running or the flex of joints like swimming will always cause friction, heat, swelling and/or bruising to muscles and joints whether you feel it or not. And once a knee is swollen or the Illiotibial Band is injured, you could be weeks or months from recovery - and you're back to square one.

It helped me get back on my feet and dive again, so hope some of this helps you.

Martin

·
Registered
365 Posts
Mmmmm. Curiously, non of the respondents asked the OP's age, weight, sex, BMI or indeed any relevant pre-fitness training questions. He/she may have knackered knees - no running then!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts