YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Wondering if anyone has dived around porquerolles in the south of France?

Couple of questions:

1) What is the diving like?
2) How do you get there?
3) Are there any bandb's on the island?

Thanks.

·
Not many Mackerel but all a good size
1,298 Posts
Thirty years ago

Took our own boat (a squidgy) and camped at Presquille d'Gien , Isle D'Or campsite. Launched at the Southern tip of the peninsular

We dived around Grand Ribaud, Petit Ribaud, Ville D'Grasse wreck and the Polypheme. Enjoyed it.

Porquerolles looked a bit exclusive.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
There are plenty of dive boats go out to the islands from the mainland. Its one of the "hot spots" in the area as its a nature reserve. Look for boats from Le Lavandou (Welcome to Lavandou wonderful seaside resort in Var.Tourist information to make a success of your vacation in lavandou, bormes, hyeres, la londe, rayol-canadel, cavalaire, croix-valmer, st-tropez, st-raphael on the French Riviera)

Here's some more about it Porquerolles Plongée or these plongee sous marine a hyeres porquerolles port cros var or look at this bloke's Flickr Zone de plongée - île de Porquerolles | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Or some video YouTube - ‪Porquerolles sous les vagues, 2009‬‏

Don't forget you need a medical for France (less than a year old) and they have a slightly different system so you might find you're a bit more restricted than the UK in what you can dive.

Chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback.

Medical?? Would a valid HSE do or do I need something different?

To be honest me and my other half are in the v.early stages of looking at setting up a b and b either on the island or on the main land and considering purchasing a RIB. So all the advice you got would be grateful.

She has been to the island herself hence her choice but I have yet to dive it so looking at logistics and seeing what other people think.

I do aim to get out there this summer to experience it myself but research is key obviously.

Thanks once again.

Steve

·
Registered
893 Posts
1. Diving is pretty good. Wrecks and marine life inside the park exceeded my Mediterranean expectations
2. I took the Eurostar to Lille, then the TGV to Toulon. Carried most of my dive gear......
3. No idea on the B+B question.

French rules mean (subject to my memory here......might have changed or be wrong - please check) you must be a CMAS *** diver or above otherwise you will need to be accompanied by an instructor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
French rules mean (subject to my memory here......might have changed or be wrong - please check) you must be a CMAS *** diver or above otherwise you will need to be accompanied by an instructor

So being an instructor is fine? how about DM?

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
French rules mean (subject to my memory here......might have changed or be wrong - please check) you must be a CMAS *** diver or above otherwise you will need to be accompanied by an instructor

So being an instructor is fine? how about DM?
DM is CMAS 2 star. Your HSE med will do fine (as will a UK sport diver med)

The "rules" are FFESSM. Level 2 (CMAS 2 star or equivalent) can dive without an instructor to 20m and to 40m with some crazy French instructor tagging along and buggering the dive up.

Several "new" certs are now being accepted as level 3 including IANTD Advanced Nitrox (Nitrox Confirmée in French) The entire PADI range don't cut it above 2 as they are non-deco certs (right up to CD).

A lot of centres will "overlook" things but don't bank on it. The year-old or less medical plus nanny hand hold are required as is 3rd party insurance (although you can buy that by the dive if needed) DAN is accepted OK and gives you the recompression/emergency insurance too.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts