YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Just a vague idea I'm having at the moment, but me and the missus regularly go over to France for some tasty grub and to fill the boot with lovely booze, but I was wondering how easy it is to go diving there, specifically the area round Berck (about 1 hour SW down the coast from Calais)

Finding a charter boat on the South coast of England is never a problem (well not if you book well enough in advance
), but is it the same on the other side of the Channel? Do the French have charter boats like we do? A bit of googling hasn't come up with much, but this could just be my crap French.

If there aren't any charter boats, I'm half-tempted to it with the club and bring a rib across. Anyone got any experience of this? Do the French have any extra rules and regs, and will there be problems with filling tanks?

Anyone done anything like this before?

Cheers,
   Janos

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Janos
I dived in the France (South of) with a Padi outfit 18 months ago as the CMAS brigade had weird rules about medical etc. not sure how you would stand if diving independant. Took my own tanks and getting a fill wasnt a problem at all.
French AOW only allows for 25m, as opposed to 'normal' AOW of 30m, something to do with CMAS, again.
As I understand it most people who dive off the North coast of France do it by using a UK boat, not much to see either, which is a surprise given the D day landings and Dunkirk etc.

Rgds
Matt

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Mar. 21 2004,20:41)]As I understand it most people who dive off the North coast of France do it by using a UK boat, not much to see either, which is a surprise given the D day landings and Dunkirk etc.
Quite the contrary; there are some excellent wrecks as a result of WWII, especially in the area between Cherborg and Le Havre.  The Leopoldville is an awesome dive although a licence is required to dive it.

Be careful if choosing a UK boat to do the trip; there is a certain boat which I would avoid like the plague (Howard know which I mean).

If you are a BSAC qualified diver then just obtain one of the plastic cert cards and they have the relevant CMAS qual equivilent on the reverse.  I have used this in a couple of French run dive centres in their former 'colonies' in the past.

ATB

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Angus,
sorry mate I meant the wrecks.

Do you have a link to them too, we had some really nice hols in France and  I reckon I could swing a few more in the North, especially if I can get to go diving too. THe South was fine but the mozzies bit me to buggery, couldnt even get me wetsuit on one day. The West is a loevley area too, but again I dont know of many wrecks, plus the afternoon Atlantic can get very rough.

Matt

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Nice thing about the North of France is that I can be in Dover in an hour and so a long weekend is an easy possibility.

And buying lots of booze 'saves money.'

Thanks for the tips about the CMAS cards. Has anyone got any experience of getting tanks filled in France?

Laters,
   Janos

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

I tried to get this a year ago and couldn't find anything worth considering on the french side so I would suggest doing it from the UK. If anyone does get this info. make sure you post it.

James  

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Took my own tanks and getting a fill wasnt a problem at all
Why you no listen cooky boy!!!

Mind it was at a Padi shop.
Knowing the FRench though if you are putting money in their hands they'll do it, probably sell you their Granny too.  

Matt

Ps Sorry if there are any French people on here, it was a joke - honest!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts