YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Just a comment relating to Lou's thread on the Skelligs, which may or may not be relevant. There's excellent diving in Ireland, weather permitting (it doesn't always) but the last time I went (my third time, to Waterworld, in Tralee Bay), about 3 or 4 years ago, the Irish Underwater Federation (or whatever they call themselves) had suddenly imposed a 30 m depth limit for all sports diving, after having had several much-publicised fatal accidents. There is plenty of good shallow diving but the limit did mean that certain good sites were suddenly off limits. The dive centres simply wouldn't take divers there any more. I don't know what the situation is today or what qualifications they require to make exceptions to the 30 m rule but I suggest you find out before booking,.

(Edited by John Gulliver at 7:02 pm on Feb. 20, 2003)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

OK, great! Maybe it was the dive centres' organisation that imposed the 30 m limit. Ronnie Fitzgibbon,who owns Waterworld, told me that he had just written the new rules for all the Irish dive centres and they had accepted them, including his proposal for a 30 m limit, but maybe that no longer applies.

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

If Mr Ronnie Fitzgibbon had re-written the rules it would obviously be to suit himself and not to benefit any of his divers, bit like him saying some of our group couldn`t dive with nitrox because he couldn`t find his o2 analiser, towards the end of the week guess what , one of our guys found it but couldn`t be bothered to argue with him as he obviously didn`t want to spend time filling tanks with anything other than air.

Just like him saying that he would arrange a local house for my family to stay in, I suppose 15 miles away over the conner pass in Dingle could be discribed as local.

Now this is not just for a few of us our party consisted of 30 divers and 23 non divers, we filled his accomodation and some other houses. Thats 53 people who now beleive that irish hospitality does not exist in certain parts of the Dingle peninsular.

Rant over, what a lovely day its been today, even begining to look forward to Stoney Bl**dy C tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.