YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I found this website recently (see below) about dive sites in the Lake District. Lots of quarries & tarns as well as the more famous lakes.
Wondering if anybody else had dived any of them (apart from Cap & Devil's Bridge) and had opinions about which ones are worthwhile dives.
They look pretty cold, so it'll probably be spring by the time I get round to it!
Looking forward to your opinions!

Lakes Treasure Map

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>most stick to wast, conniston and hodge.
All are a bit of a pain, connys dark and horrid, hodge is a ball ache to get into, Wast is in the arse end of no where. Also ullswater is worse than conny for viz.

At least there all fairly deep and free,

Heard ennerdale is alright but its miles to get to so might as well go to wast, still something to do over winter.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Imported post

Hey Ben, Wastwater is about 50minutes from where I live

Only joking about the scowl----I am at the end of a long road to the edge of the world

Ennerdale is shallow in the easy accessible places 6/7m or so.
Beatiful above the water though, silt and broken plates etc from an old hotel under water.
Wastwater is the best for vis I have seen, pinnacles of course being the best site.
Crummock Water has reasonable vis, and a very nice cliff down to 24ish metres which is dark and atmospheric, and is really a good dive, vertical wall, looking down into the black makes it mentally more of an event than deeper in Wastwater.
People do travel for this, it is about 1/2 an hour for me through lovely country----------come to think about it, for the arse end of nowhere, it's a pretty good place to go.  

Cheers, Malcolm.

·
Concreting the world!
767 Posts
Imported post

I've done Stybarrow Crag in Ullswater a few times and will be diving it again tomorrow in search of the elusive cliff face.  This time of the year should be the best time to go for the warmer water, it is at its coldest in the spring but the viz might be a bit better.

Cheers

Simon

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

The Lakes are certainly  valuable for training purposes and for when you're blown out elsewhere.  I've dived Coniston, Wastwater, Crummock, Ullswater and Hodge close, (last isn't really "the lakes" but you know what I mean).  
Crummock in particular is very good for trainees as you can get depth on the wall to expand trainees experience, good for the simulated deco dive in Sports diver,  and you've got a useful shore for rescue drills (Sport Diver &  Dive Leader). Wast is good for the raw beginners as there's plenty of shallow areas.  

Apart from these exceptions it's  "Death or Brine" for me

·
Registered
559 Posts
Imported post

Water temp 11 degrees yesterday in Crummock, same as the Farnes we were blown out from on Sunday but dived on Saturday.
Gets to around 15 degrees in the summer.
Cheers, Malcolm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Imported post

We dived Tranearth quarry a couple of years ago, just b4 foot & mouth outbreak, anyway what a trek that was, 3/4 mile walk in full kit (ok I cheated and took a pony cos its only 7m) but what a beutiful place, it has a 30ft  waterfall at one end and a tunnel leading off similar to hodge which is the entrance/exit, I wouldn't dive it again but its worth gettin suited up and havein a play.:D

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Wastwater might be at the end of nowhere, but its ideal for deep work up dives, the vis is always superb.  Can't understand the draw of Dotty, for a few more miles west you can be in the sea.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Stickle Tarn up a bloody big hill above the new dungeon ghyll hotel

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

So Stickle Tarn is on Langdale Pike ? wouldn't fancy hauling dive kit up there, LP is a challenge enough in itself!  (well it is on New Years day when you're still hung over
 )

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>sandman have you found the cliff face yet ?
drop down to about 25mtrs and swim towards glenridding.
you should reach it after about 12 mins. depth varies during year but its about 47 mtrs at the moment.
it's our local site with my club being just up the road at penrith.water temp on sunday was 8oc and viz about 3mtrs

·
Concreting the world!
767 Posts
Imported post

Markg,

Not found the cliff face yet but will have a look in the Glenridding direction on the next trip.  We seem to keep bottoming out at about 36 metres, the last visit turned up a car at about 34 metres.  I'll let you know if/when I find it.

Cheers

Simon

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Early this year I dived Haweswater. It was one of the worst dives of my short life. Afterwords we renamed it "The Evil Lake". Only go if you want to swim in strong tea.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>sandman
           you're going too deep too soon mate. we used to swim out to about 45mtrs then turn right and swim over "mole hills"(you'll understand if you see them,bloody big moles though
) and join cliff face at the bottom but it was a very hit and miss way of doing it. by far the easiest way is 25m down then head for glenridding. if you have problems finding it give me a shout and i'll come and show you
cheers
        mark

·
Concreting the world!
767 Posts
Imported post

Mark.

Thanks for the directions.  We found it today on the first attempt and it was just as you described.  We bottomed out at 46.5 metres then came back up the face to find another cliff face at about 20 metres.  In future I might find this first and then head down to the deeper cliff.  The viz today was about 3-4 metres and the water was 7 degrees on the bottom.

If anyone is thinking of trying this dive take a BIG torch.

Cheers

Simon

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>no problem simon
                       i was down there on sunday morning and my main torch packed up
 it's bl**dy dark down there

1 - 20 of 25 Posts