YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I noticed on teletext that there were incidents in the Clyde, does anybody have further info please. 1 incident involved 3 divers who were diving the Adeek near Troon. The others I believe were in Loch Fyne.
Ta

Big Steph

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Steph,

Here's what was reported in The Herald. Don't worry I've already informed the chief sub that the divers were diving on Nitrox not Nitrous Oxide.

It sounds like a major f*ckin disaster area on the west this weekend. I hope everyone makes a speedy and full recovery.

Divers rescued after six-hour ordeal lost at sea  

Story supplied by:
The Herald  11 November 2002

THREE divers were plucked to safety last night after surviving for six hours in the water off the west coast of Scotland.

The men, from Cumbernauld, were rescued after going missing while diving on a wreck about a mile-and-a-half off Troon.

A coastguard spokesman said: "It was quite an ordeal for them. It's not the warmest of water. They are very lucky."

The drama began soon after 2pm when the men failed to rendezvous with their boat after a one-hour dive on the wreck of the Adheek.

Their boat stayed on station but failed to sight the divers, who had surfaced elsewhere and could not see the boat.

The alarm was raised and the coxswain of the Troon lifeboat alerted the Clyde coastguard shortly after 4.30pm.

An air, sea and coast search was launched immediately involving two helicopters, three lifeboats and four coastguard rescue teams.

The coastguard spokesman said: "One of the teams found them in the surf line just off Barassie just after 7.30pm. They had swum and drifted from the wreck to the shore - a distance of about two-and-a-half miles. They were just too tired to get out of the water.

"The men, who are in their early forties and late thirties, are OK, quite cold but in reasonably good health."

It was the fourth incident the Clyde coastguard dealt with during the day. Bill Forsyth, Clyde coastguard watch manager, said: "We have been exceptionally busy today, particularly with diving incidents."

Two divers were flown to separate decompression chambers, one in a serious condition, after making a rapid ascent from a dive in the Sound of Mull.

The two men had reached a depth of 150ft using nitrous oxide gas but developed the bends as they made a rapid ascent to the surface.

When the alarm was raised by colleagues on the dive boat, a Royal Navy rescue helicopter was scrambled from HMS Gannet at Prestwick.

The diver who was in a serious condition was flown to the decompression chamber at Dunstaffnage, near Oban.

The second, whose condition was not believed to be serious, was taken in the helicopter to a chamber at Faslane.

In a second incident, a young woman was taken to Aberdeen hyperbaric unit along with her two diving friends after she developed breathing difficulties off St Catherine's Point.

The group called Clyde coastguard at 2pm for help. All three were airlifted by military helicopter to the Southern General Hospital in Glasgow.

In the third incident, a diver who felt ''sick and jittery'' after surfacing was taken to the Vale of Leven Hospital, where he was recompressed.

-Nov 11th

©2002 The Herald

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Thanks for the info Gavster. The guys who drifted from the wreck could have blown whistles to alert their dive boat!!  Having said that, I have noticed that there are very few divers with whistles attached to the BC's these days.  Not sure if this is a lack of proper training methods, or just plain complacency.  However, they are safe and well and I am looking forward to see my income tax rate get higher ;0)

Big Steph

Big Steph

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Whistles can be very hard to hear from the boat, especially with the engine running. Have seen a few divers carrying the extendable flags - anyone use them? Alternatively, could get some mates to 'liberate' some flashbangs from the old TA stores!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

Thunderflashes are the biz.  Remember a dive weekend at Tralee Bay caravan site near Oban.  One of our lot decided to waken the others in our party early, so he let off a thunderflash under the caravan next to ours at six in the morning.  We were pissing ourselves when bodies were scrambling out from every window.  Ah those were the days.

Big Steph.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Did they even mean Nitrox?  50m on Nitrox?  That's a ppO2 of about 1.26 on air, yes?  So why would you want to raise it even further by enriching the mix?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

No Self-respecting Bootie would refer to them as 'Flash-bangs': the Marine version is a 'Flash-crash'.....seeing as we're 'at sea', what?

Cheers,

(Associate Chairman of the Pedants Society) ;)

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Lou - I had the same thought myself but I was more owrried with the assetion that some people go diving on laughing gas.

I just drink laughing juice afterwards!!

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Indeed!  I could see the leap from nitrous Oxide to nitrox, but couldn't understand why they would be going to 50m on nitrox.  I wondered if it was a) a mistake and why they surfaced quickly, b) they were diving trimix or air and the Herald got it wrong (heaven forbid!) or c) they were using "lighter" mix ie EAN26, which I had never understood to be worth it/particularily common.

At least they weren't breathing "oxygen"....

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

True Lou,

I haven't spoken to the hack that did the story and to be honest your average journalist wouldn't have much of a clue about diving gas.

For most papers and broadcasters, diving accidents are stock in trade. It's rare that you'll see positive diving related stories.  

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I'm sure this must happen to others out there too, but my girlfriend's dad phoned the house after hearing the news, just to see if these accidents had involved his daughter. Considering he hasn't been in touch for a few months it caused much hilarity in our house "Oh, you're not dead then, see yer!" Parents !?! who'd have 'em, eh?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

If anybody has any contacts in the right places, it would be interesting to know what the guys were actually breathing. I doubt if they were on a weak nitrox mix. There was admittedly a guy on Divernet a while ago who said he used EAN 25 because it made him feel better but i just don't believe anyone can tell the difference between such weak mixes and air. After all, it's well known in medicine that 50% of people respond to dummy tablets and any claimed "feel-good effect" of 25% EAN must surely be another expression of that same placebo effect.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

I think the whole thing could well be flawed.

If they mention nitrous oxide in the copy then how sure can we be that they were at 150ft. (48ish metres)

It could have been shallower, it could have been trimix, it could have been that they were using air and intending to deco on EAN?

I'll speak to the journo who wrote the original piece but it looks ripped from a presser to me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from John Gulliver on 3:10 pm on Nov. 12, 2002
If anybody has any contacts in the right places, it would be interesting to know what the guys were actually breathing.
<span =''>

I'd rather find out if they had DSMB's or flags. Must be either quite rough or come up quite a way off not to be spotted.

(Edited by Rob Meddes at 5:10 pm on Nov. 12, 2002)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Imported post

DSMB's or Flags maybe but I bet they had torches so why didn't they shine them in the direction of the two lifeboats. It's amazing how you notice a torch shone at the boat even during the day.
Anyway at least they are safe and well and didn't end up in Ireland!! :cop_2:  

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

Whole things a bit scary really.
My idea of a nightmare, surfacing in the middle of the sea and there being no boat. Must of been horrific for them.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Imported post

I had a 'boat separation difficulty' out in the Red Sea: we were blown way past the reef we were trying to get on by the current and then had a bit of a job attracting the attention of our boat albeit we were all equipped with whistles and (yes, even in the Red Sea!) there was a DSMB in the party (no - not mine).

I fancy one of these air horns you plumb into your LP inflator (BC) hose; anyone got one? :shout:

(Edited by PaulC at 7:30 pm on Nov. 13, 2002)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

Anyone for the good old Mark 5 Thunderflash then? I'm sure that would get someones attention!

You can buy them from Bedlam

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

How about Thunderflashes.. strap a few nuts and bolts to them to attract even more attention than a palestinian suicide bomber in a nightclub !!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts