YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from darthmoll on 11:58 am on Dec. 14, 2002
Furthermore, there has been very few deco incidents or otherwise from ScotSAC divers, why is this so, are ScotSAC divers better trained?
<span =''>Nope, it's because it's too bloody cold to stay down for long enough! :rofl2:

Drift

ScotSAC Diver

Imported post

It could just be that it is an increased awareness of DCS. Divers are now taught that if stops are missed then expect a 'bend' even from shallow dives. To negate this call out the emergency services and provide O2.
Now as we have the NHS and it doesn't cost anything.. why not?
This might explain the increase in reported DCS, how many people are suffering is another matter.
The chambers will treat people as if they have suffered a bend as this also keeps the people who run them in a job

Domestic assaults increased dramaticaly when the profile was raised in the media, so were they, (the press) the reason why men went out a beat their wives? Or simply that figures were recorded that wouldn't otherwise have been?
Statisics, waste of time, and of course the reason for another job next year

Imported post

I have this sit on my bum.....
is it DCS or is it just because I have a wet suit on for 10 hours a day. Come on lads After doing 2 DSD`s 2 Dives with cert. divers and a Dive for my self in te Evenig one does get a itch at times... but you don^t call for a heli to take you to a cambre it`all in a working week.

Take care and dive safe
Michael

Imported post

Hi Michael, all well and good if you know the difference between a simple moisture rash and a skin bend, if in doubt seek medical advice! Better to be safe than sorry. I was about to go on about drysuit squeeze marks but there you are in nice warm Tenerife..........very jealous, got any jobs?

Imported post

Blimey, I'll be there in a shot - 2 training dives, 2 exp dives and a pleasure dive - whats that all about in a working day - try 16 dives per day !!  :sad:

Dive safe all
Paul

Imported post

I have to say that the reports of incidents that I have noticed over the last year have mostly been divers doing "deep" dives.

Whether these divers are new divers, experienced divers. rusty or well-practised I can;t say, but the trend seems to be that alot of divers who dive with a recreational aim, and with recreational regularity (every weekend or oeveryother weekend) seem to be following the tech training, or configuration route.  This leads more of them to do depths that they wouldn't necessarily have considered before.  Hence the increase of divers at a moderate risk of a bend.

The "fashion" for going to twinsets and wings is part of this.  I know that there are good reasons for using both of the above, but many of the people who have them wouldn't be doing the riskier dives if they didn't.  Some of these people probably wouldn't have them if they weren't the *in* thing, and hence the dives wouldn't be done.

What we need is for fish-prodding to become trendy!

Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Lou on 2:28 pm on Dec. 17, 2002

What we need is for fish-prodding to become trendy!
<span =''>

You mean it isn't ! - fish prodding is the new rock and roll

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Imported post

Aw c'mon Lou do ya really believe that people who move to twinsets are doing it as a fashion statemement? really??..

As someone who's just lost a shit load of money on selling their old rec kit, who's spent a small fortune replacing it with new tech kit, who's just spent a load of time, effort and money in studying and revising for the TDI Nitrox and Advanced Nitrox courses, as someone who goes out just about every bloody weekend to practise including last Sunday when a 5 hour round trip was endured just to freeze nads off practising with the new rig in Wastwater, and as someone who's spending even more time, effort and money this coming Saturday December 21st taking the TDI Decompression Procedures then I'm afraid I feel a little insulted by your statement as I'm sure other twinset divers do.

All of the people I know who are currently moving over to a twin rig are doing it for all of the right reasons.. I know this cos I dived with a dozen of them doing four training dives where we had masks removed and had to swim blind holding onto reel lines at the bottom of freezing quarry's (The pain.. oh my god the pain) had our air supply's turned off, isolation manifolds tinkered with and a shit load of other skill sets and emergency scenarios all done at depth, these same people had all gathered from around the nation all went through a very tough, challenging and tiring weekend and none of it was done in the name of fashion.

Sorry to rant Lou but I'm afraid you pissed me off a little... maybe its the time of the month... yeah.. that's right, she's on and I'm not getting any..

regards
Dave.

Imported post

Hear what you are saying Dave.  I use twinsets, have done for years and believe it or not, I still use an ABLJ, because it is my preference. You may be correct in saying that some divers who use twinsets & wings are not fasion victims.  I do agree with Lou in that there are many divers who are using certain kit to be perceived as trendy.  These same arseholes have slagged me off because of my ABLJ and the funny thing is that I have been diving before some of these idiots were born!!  They just do not have a clue.
PS, it is the same with bikers who have the best of gear, but are too scared too lean a bike into the corners, but they look the part which is more important to these lame brains.

Phew glad thats over.

Big Steph

Imported post

Fashion?? Fashion???

Herrumph!!

Just remember - we're all still wearing 'last year's' black ;)

Imported post

Dave

I am specifically *not* saying that all divers do it because it is trendy, but it is easy to see that alot do.  It looks good, looks macho and there is a degree of frowning down on those who wear stabs, dive singles etc - just look at the debates on handbagnet every time some poor novice asks which BCD to buy!

You are taking it seriously, training, building up your skills etc which is great.  Some folks buy twins and go for it - got the gear, why not do the dives seems to be the attitude?

However, by getting the gear, which you knew about because alot of people are now using it, you are in a position to push your diving further.  Hence you are putting yourself into areas of greater risk of a bend.  You may have the redundancy but the dive is more likely to bend you.

Hence my reasoning that the trend towards/for twinsets increases the number of divers who do the risky dives.  Some of these are trained and practised, but are taking part in risky dives.  Some just want to look cool.  Both are likely to be adding to the stats...

Don't apologise about ranting.  I was aware when I was writing it that what I was saying indirectly applied to alot of folks on the board and I tried to make it clear what I meant.  I might have failed, sorry, but it isn't that *everyone* just uses twins and wings because they are trendy!  

And just be thankful that your lady wife isn't "on" over Christmas - there'd be tears before bedtime!

Cheers

Lou
Lou

Imported post

I'm with Lou and Steph on this.Diving itself and thus much of the perceived "kit to have" has indeed become "trendy".While this is the way of the world,it has it's downside.
For example,many people may slag Steph's ABLJ off for not being trendy but if they can give him a good reason why he should use their kit rather than his (obviously having used ABLJ's themselves)then like me he'd probably listen.
As he says it's the same with bikes,I bet everyone here knows of someone who may get a new,expensive sports bike,not because of a long rooted desire to ride or having done so for years and progressing...but because it's the latest "toy",with ready scuffed knee sliders and Dianese leathers.Having ridden nothing else other than a CG125 on their direct access course,they "have" the experience to know that race style boots will save your toes when it goes in the back wheel..my arse,but steel toe capped,buckled high legs just don't look the part do they?And you can't get em colour coded.
Seriously,neither should be viewed or undertaken as trendy pastimes,despite how the training's sold to you.Both are dangerous and should be undertaken with a healthy respect,not a shopping list and cheque book.
Rant over,really gets my goat this,like people who drive at night with sidelights on and bloody FOGLAMPS,rant, rant, blather, blather...
Take care all,Hobby.

Imported post

Tossers Lou,absolute tossers,if they want to be seen (safety wise)use a bloody dim dip or low beam all the time.Most are in ignorance though and have'nt a clue as to why they should'nt have em on.They have a goddam thromboid when they find out it's illegal.
Then there's the others who turn them off when they see a Traffic Plod...so why do it you inbred ignorant self righteous sweat sucking baboons????Please turn them off.Then there's the ones who sit at lights/traffic jams with their foot on the brakes dazzling everyone behind them.
Told you,I've upset me'self now!!!
Take care Lou,love Hobby!(Glad it's not just me then)

(Edited by Hobby at 11:57 am on Dec. 18, 2002)

Imported post

I like the ones when told they have their fogs on turn off ALL the lights cos they dont know which switch it is. Nowdays I dont tell them cos if they dont know they are on they ought to get nicked in my book. For a good rant can we go onto mobile phones in cars, eating at the same time is optional of course. Or the latest one to get me going, allow bikes in bus lanes and watch the car drivers swipe us off as they turn left and dont see a bus, they didnt know we were allowed in some bus lanes. Doh!
Matt

(Edited by MATTBIN at 12:39 pm on Dec. 18, 2002)

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Imported post

Hi Lou

You are right that the deeper the dive or more prolonged the dive the greater the chance of a bend, just as if more people drive their cars faster they have more of a chance of being involved in an accident... don't disagree with you on that point at all ma dear... And now you come to mention it I am looking rather chic in me new tech look... ;)

Matt
I'm a car driver and I didn't have a clue about bikes and bus lanes mate, was I supposed to?? was there an announcment somewhere, cos if there was I missed the bugger..

Imported post

Y'know, there was a time when the Dilbert site had something on it called the "Lazy Entrepreneur", and one of the 'personalities' who posted to it had a solution for the foglight thing.

It's called a shotgun.

Mind you, he WAS from Texas...

;)

Funnily enough, since moving to my wing & twinset, my attitude has actually gone exactly the opposite way to the trend Lou suggests. Just a year or two ago, I was inside the Thistlegorm at 30m with a single cylinder and my octopus floating somewhere behind me.

Given the option today of a 30m penetration dive on a single, I'd be the one sitting on the beach. In fact, even on my twinset I would need something special to be down there.. been too broke to do any diving for the last couple of months, so wouldn't want to go straight back into a 30m dive..

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.