YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Diving Insurance

830 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  kinetic 
#1 ·
Imported post

I have just renewed my insurance with DAN..the price wasn't too bad and the cover seems OK..

However, as things are so hectic I never really took the time to trawl through what policies/cover is offered by the various insurance companies....

1. Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) when insurance was actually needed?

2. Can anyone recommend or otherwise a particular insurance policy and/or company? Obviously depends on your type of diving and other variables but general comments welcome.

Too late for me this year but might be useful for anyone looking at present.....

Best regards to all....

Graham    

See less See more
#2 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kinetic @ Sep. 06 2003,16:17)]I have just renewed my insurance with DAN..the price wasn't too bad and the cover seems OK..
<font color='#810541'>It is a gift and the cover is excellent!  

I couldn't find better.

My gear is insured through my house insurance and covered in the van provided the van is locked and the gear not visible.

#3 ·
Imported post

Phil,

Thanks for the re-assurance......I didn't look too hard as the DAN cover gave me everything I needed.

Likewise...my gear is covered by my household insurer.

Luckily I've never had to use it...

Cheers.

Graham    

#4 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I have DAN insurance for myself and my wife for a couple of years now, touch wood we haven't had the need to use it. As we live in Portugal it is the only dive specific insurance we could get. The big advantage being international and well recognised. I havn't heard of anyone using it but would like to hear any stories, good or bad.

#5 ·
Imported post

Guys this is a trimmed down version of an incident that happened abroad today:-,

Paul please do what you can to
ensure the message hits home re diving and
insurance....

A Dive of 38mins duration ended abruptly today
when an inexperienced diver shot to the surface from
22m after seperating from his buddy. He was "dead" by
the time he reached the boat but was revived by those
aboard.

(it looks like the both ran out of air & panicked, but
thats a seperate issue....)

He was evacuated by Sea to Hospital for xrays
etc. His lungs were full of fluid & he had a Cerebrial
Arterial Gas Embolism (CAGE,Bubble on Brain).

We consulted our top experts worldwide and put
him in the pot for a standard 5hr tx (DR inside with
enough drugs to keep him comatose). You can imagine
the state of him,fluid everywhere & not so great for
the 2x staff in the pot,indeed they had to make an
improvised suction device to clear his airway using a
plastic bottle,syringe & bit of 02 hose!

Re Insurance, He HASN"T GOT ANY!! He'll almost
certainly be moved at some stage & the Bill will
contain loads of 000's

This is my worst case to date. Please pass it
on & ensure your club take it seriously:)

Whilst wishing this diver a full recovery, anyone diving abroad without suitable cover is just asking for trouble. We as a club use Divemaster as we get a good group rate (I beleve).

Dive Safe

Paul

#6 ·
Imported post

Paul,

Thanks for the info.....and I'm with you in hoping that a good recovery is on the horizon for this diver.

It was reading something similar many years ago that made me take out insurance for me and my wife. I had been diving for some time without insurance but I'd never dream of it now.

Something that everyone, who hasn't already got insurance, should consider.

Best regards to all.

Graham

#7 ·
Imported post

OK, ignorant question -

When we go away we make sure our holiday insurance covers diving in case medical assistance is needed.

Is insurance required for diving in the UK, for any possible medical expenses etc? (our life insurance does cover diving, but hopefully we won't be claiming on that anytime soon).

Cheers,
Tom

#8 ·
Imported post

Tom,

I'm sure that diving insurance is not necessarily required but I'd definitely say it's advisable. As with the fellow described previously, he may well survive but without insurance he'll have huge medical bills and possibly not be able to work for some time.

Like you, I'm covered on life assurance but that's no good to you if you survive an incident and can't work.

I suppose the NHS would cover medical treatment but then if you can't work what do you do....I suppose that's when specific diving insurance comes in...depending on the cover/policy you have.

I'm an ex-pat so I'm not an expert on what the NHS will cover for treatment and what the government would give pay as social security if you were not able to work....maybe someone else could help with this.

Regards.

Graham

#9 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I think that in most places in the continent it is obligatery to have insurance for diving, isn't it the same for UK? I would highly reccomend to have it, it is not that expensive but with DAN for example you can be assured proper medical knowledge and appropiate treatment ( I hope!) The problem with other in surances is that Diving can be a 'grey' area. For example If you have private health insurance are diving accidents covered? With life insurance are diving related accidents covered? If so at what depth, rebreathers, tech etch.. The list goes on.

#10 ·
Imported post

Chris,

As for life insurance...you MUST declare that you are a diver on the initial application form. In my experience, the UK insurer then sent a more detailed questionnaire about the type of diving, frequency etc etc.

If I remmeber correctly the disclosures required were something like:

1. How many dives per year?

2. Maximum depths?

3. Do you ever do deco dives?

4. Do you do ever do other technical diving (eg caves, caverns).

There was more but I forget the rest.

Anyway, the upshot is, if you pop your clogs diving within the parametres you disclose then your other half gets the cheque....otherwise you're not covered.

Graham

#11 ·
Imported post

Chris,

Forgot to mention.....I have dived all over the world (well not quite) and I can say that I have never had to produce evidence of insurance...even though I've always had it (except when I first started....but I was strictly a UK diver then before moving abroad).

Cheers.

Graham

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.