YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>I am interested working underwater not as an instructor but more on the manual side eg. dirlling, mending ,whatever . can anyone give me any more info on what sort of jobs are out there . I know they run a commerical diving course but it way out of my price range .I don`t have engineering degree or any other degree so not sure where to start .
thanks Fiona.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

To dive civils in the Uk the minimum standard is HSE part III (SSDE), so I'm afraid you'll have to start saving up.  

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

or join the police or armed forces and let someone pay you to learn.  

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Phil

Most police forces now don't have a underwater search team and if they have , then it's a long waiting list to get onto and it's not a full time job anyway..... just a callout diver.

They don't take female RN or RE divers, so thats the forces out.

Think ya best bet is Fiona, is to take the INSHORE DIVER course and take little shit paid jobs for a couple of years just to get some experience and a name for yaself..... BECOME A WELDER/ ENGINEER , then the diver

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

Andy, sorry, gonna have to disagree a wee bittie. There are several forces with full time diving teams - source of info, me, I train them.  

·
Living a champagne lifestyle on a lemonade budget!
1,430 Posts
Imported post

Maybe I shouldn't say this but personally I think the job you are doing at the moment is wonderful Fiona.   I did mention to you that my neighbour at the coast recognised you that time and said you had cared for her mother when she was ill.   She spoke so highly of you.   It must be such a tough job to do.

·
Very Senior Member
1,908 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Phill @ Mar. 18 2004,08:13)]Andy, sorry, gonna have to disagree a wee bittie. There are several forces with full time diving teams - source of info, me, I train them.  
Come on Andy,

I want to see you get out of this one

gets spade and starts digging

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Phil,

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Andy, sorry, gonna have to disagree a wee bittie. There are several forces with full time diving teams - source of info, me, I train them.
I don't disbelieve you , matey.

Down here on a job once , we invited 2 motorbike cops to have a cuppa, while they were waiting for a wide load to turn up, after we had a good look at the bikes etc etc ,, one of our blokes was enquiring into being a police diver, although he only had a pt 4, he had been accept in to Kent Police , but had a 6 month wait until entry,,,,,,,, we was on the subject on how to become a motor bike cop, the training, how long is waiting list etc etc ,,,,,, and the subject of police diving teams came up,,,,,,,, AND it was the copper that said " There aren't many divers in the police nowadays, tend to use civvies , and most of our divers have a normal police job , and dive on callouts only "  or words to that effect.

Thats all,,,,,,,,,,,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts