YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any rules/regulations about liability for organizing club dives.

We have a non affiliated club and have booked a few charters this year. The club (since the demise of the LDS around which we were grouped) has settled on a core of members who have mainly remained as members to have access to our own compressor (the nearest commercial filling place is about 15 to 20 miles away).

I am concerned about the naming of the first charter which everyone considers to be a 'club dive'?

Are we beholden in any shape or form about the standard of the people coming along? I am doing it as if I had booked a charter and am throwing it open to all comers ie each diver is responsible for themselves/buddy and their own dive plans?

It is only a shallow dive BUT vis could be crap and dark (end Apr dive) even at 20 to 25 mtrs?

Any advice, links etc would be appreciated.

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Any advice, links etc would be appreciated.
Lift a standard risk assessment from something like the BSAC site.
Then write up the duties of the 'trip organiser' make sure they stop virtually as soon as you step onto a boat. (You might have a club O2 kit but the duties just say to only select boats that have one) Then have a list of responses to problems with a big heading "Do not put yourself at risk" at the top. Name things that put you at risk, like going back into the water after a dive. Put the old chestnut about not searching for a missing buddy for more than one minute in. Put the line about 'Solo diving generates extra risk you are responsible to equip yourself properly if you choose to do this' in. "Analyse your own gas" etc. Don't be specific but name all the risk areas.

Circulate it to everybody. Agree it.

Everything you do in the event of an incident will exceed the 'club rules', you tried harder, and yet you have a set of 'rules' no expert witness will contradict.

Reactions: Finless

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rats!!!!! I typed out a lengthy reply but it didn't "stick" ..... oh well, I'm not tyoing all that again. :(

Nigel, would you be kind enough to post a link to the risk assessment thingy ......... I couldn't find one on the BSAC site ......... is it for members only?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Rats!!!!! I typed out a lengthy reply but it didn't "stick" ..... oh well, I'm not tyoing all that again. :(

Nigel, would you be kind enough to post a link to the risk assessment thingy ......... I couldn't find one on the BSAC site ......... is it for members only?
Hi Finless

We have a lot of guests on our boats and on top of the risk assessment we have them sign an indemnity form. I'll send you a copy and you can see whther any of its useable.

cheers

Nick

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Finless

We have a lot of guests on our boats and on top of the risk assessment we have them sign an indemnity form. I'll send you a copy and you can see whther any of its useable.

cheers

Nick
Thanks ............ TBH I think I am getting a bit too AR about this but I am just a bit worried as to whether a claim of "not a club dive/everyone is responsible for themselves" approach would be accepted ............

Anyway, I'd be grateful to rcv a copy form ............ do you need me to PM you my email address ........... or did I leave it open in my profile?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts