YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,
whats the diving like for this neck of the woods, My Grandmother is moving back up north, as I will have to go and visit, I could take my gear and have a splash as well
, would any of you nice N/E people like to buddy up some time for a dive or two.

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

There's a well established BSAC club in Hartlepool but I'm not sure if they dive around there, trouble is that it's inbetween two fairly large industrial rivers (Tyne and Tees) so the viz is likely to be a bit crap on a regular basis.
however there's some shore diving and wrecks north of the Tyne, and further on there's Beadnell, Farne Islands then St Abbs

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Thanks Steve,
Dont mind a bit of a drive from using H-pool as a base, its 90 odd miles for me to go to Stoney each way, so 100 or so miles to get to a site is fine, and I dont mind picking up non drivers, I drive they guide works for me

Thanks
Mark

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>me me me!  I live within spitting distance of the farnes!  Once i have my confidence back i will be glad to go for a pootle with you.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Hi Mark

Steve's right about the viz but you CAN get excellent days, I've dived off Redcar (just across the river from Hartlepool) and had crackin viz but then I've also had day's where the end of my arm is missing and swimming into a vury large rock is quite feasible, but hey it's wet, it has loads of life and as long as you don't mind your sphere of visibility being kinda close then it's a decent pootle..

We also dive off the South Gare (that's the lighthouse on the other side of the river ) I believe you monkey hangers have the North Gare to dive off....

I'm always up for a trip to Abbs or the farnes so just let me know and we might hook up sometime.

Rgds
Dave.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Have dived off the Redcar scars and even eaten a lobster off there once. And a very memorable dive in Hartlepool Coal Dock for my nav test. As we were kitting up there was a bloke quietly pouring 10 gallons of used thinners into the dock. My- what a dive. And as you can imagine, with 100 yrs of coal dust settled on the bottom the silt was deeper than the water and with all that junk metal thrown over the side over the years, compass nav was fun. Still, finding your way back was simple- just follow the cloud of silt.

Viz round there depends on recent rain- I'd head north to Farnes/Eyemouth/Abbs etc where there aren't too many big rivers and there are some great dives to be had, even off the shore. Just watch out for all the thieving Scots pushing their dole money into the slot machines in Seahouses.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Imported post

Nice place, splendid diving, and not far north from God's own fair county.

The only problem is the people, especially if you happen to be a monkey:

"Why aye pet, what iverrs that doon the beach like?"

"A divennt knaa bonny lad. Mebees it's a french spy ye knaa"

"Why aye man pet ye knaa. Let's toture him like and then mebees we can hang him ye knaa!!"

And I might be wrong but I seem to have heard that they did something similar to a donkey as well!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Martyn Ward @ April 15 2004,22:03)]And I might be wrong but I seem to have heard that they did something similar to a donkey as well!!
Would that be hung like a donkey.

If your diving north of the river, I'd make it 70miles north for safety sake.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Martyn Ward @ April 15 2004,22:03)]Nice place, splendid diving, and not far north from God's own fair county.

The only problem is the people, especially if you happen to be a monkey:

"Why aye pet, what iverrs that doon the beach like?"

"A divennt knaa bonny lad. Mebees it's a french spy ye knaa"

"Why aye man pet ye knaa. Let's toture him like and then mebees we can hang him ye knaa!!"

And I might be wrong but I seem to have heard that they did something similar to a donkey as well!!
<font color='#000080'>ROLFMAO!!  

Aaal thim southernas tryin to wark oot wha ya seed.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Hi All,
Cheers for replies, Its gonna be fun. Porg,Dave your on as and when I come to visit, I will get in touch COOOOLLLLLL.as I dont know anyone other than family up there some new friends and a bit of social activity would be nice, else it may get a bit boring just hanging around the relatives, they are a nutty bunch though.
Ok here`s a bit of History for you,

All my Family come from the N/E there is only 6/7 of us down south now, Mother was Born in Whitby etc etc, relatives are in Newcastle,Whitby & Hartlepool,  Grandmother`s Brother in-law was Pilot boat skipper out of Whitby in the 70`s, christ that was scary, 10 years old on a little boat going out to a bloody huge one  
, and a what would be a cousin (distant) was a hard hat diver out of Hartlepool.
As for me,  25 Dives AOW, have not touched the briny yet, so a couple of sensible dives to get used to new environment will be in order, if I dont get to the salt stuff before I do get up, Does the family ties make me a temp/honourary northener ?.

Cheers All
See you in the not to distant future

Mark

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hey Woz, whats a boy from Nottingham doing diving the scars?
Spent 4 yrs at Uni in Newcastle 88-92 with a year out living in Middleborough (shudder) designing blast furnaces. Spent most of my year out diving with Davy Divers (a club set up by the company I was working for) who did very nice things like buy RIBs for us.

·
The Bridget Jones of Diving
585 Posts
Imported post

I did my first degree in Middlesbrough, and my abiding memory of the place was the strange tarmac like smell that permiated everything. That and the unfortunate smell of ICI when the wind was blowing inland.
My first exprience of living there was going down to the town centre on a Sunday afternoon, and watching a pair of dirty y fronts being blown around in the wind. That and some kid trying to smash a telephone box while I was inside making a phone call. Lovely Days!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ April 16 2004,13:28)]Middlesbrough - smoggie land
My daughter is at Middlesbrough uni.  She loves it, but it wasn't till I went there that I realised there were worse places than Wolverhampton

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

ROFL!!!! Well in defence of Middlesbrough... (not that I'd ever actually live there) it is a completely different place to what it used to be, massive regeneration and the removal of many smelly making places later it's not a bad town at all... it's a top night out for a pub crawling piss up... just bring your own broken bottle for later ok?

Woz... Davy Divers is where I trained.. Athel Lawton, Dave Otterson et al .... only stayed with them a year as they didn't do an awful lot of diving, at least nowhere near as much as I wanted... once I was fully certed I was offski... Athel was a top man though...

Blimey small world or what!  

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Woz... Davy Divers is where I trained.. Athel Lawton, Dave Otterson et al .... only stayed with them a year as they didn't do an awful lot of diving, at least nowhere near as much as I wanted... once I was fully certed I was offski... Athel was a top man though...
Blimey small world or what!
F*ck my tin hat.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Woz... Davy Divers is where I trained.. Athel Lawton,
Athel was my buddy on the scars dive where we had the lobster. Bit of a joint effort catching it so we flipped for it and I won.
Yum.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Yeah Athel is a great bloke.. to tell the truth he was the only saving grace at DD, well him and his son Mark.. I used to work with Athel at Foster Wheeler and that's how I got into diving, I'd mentioned an interest (once I found out he dived) and he took me under his wing so to speak and he was my main instructor at Davy's

1 - 20 of 23 Posts