YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went diving today and it was great! I did the classic of forgetting how deep I was (and I was on a single :eek: ), getting carried away with the camera and ended up with a whole lot more stops than I ever would have wanted to do! Still came up with 70bar so no problems there....

The dive was in Shetland (where we are based just now) and was on the submarine E49, a British Sub more info on it can be found here . It is in 30m of water just out of Baltasound, Unst - the most northerly of the main islands, Muckle Flugga and Out Stack are further if you want to be pedantic :) It sits on a bed of white sand in the astonishingly clear water. It was a lot smaller than I thought it would be as somehow I have it in my mind that submarines are these massive things, but an incredibly worthwhile dive for the life on the wreck and the vis.

A couple of my photos are here:

E49 Submarine on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
very nice :)

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Wow wee.... I saw vis similar to that last, out of Dunvagen bay off Skye whilst diving with Digger a few years ago. A white Sandy bay does wonders for the light. Paul I'm assured you get similar vis off Dover? (only above water)

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Viz in Shetland last week was iffy as you can see from this photo (courtesy of Gloc who will be along with a trip report and photos soon)

and this one

and just in case you were in any doubt about how cool I look underwater:

How about that for an Excess of Fabulousness?

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
I think you need to move some of your weight to our left hand side Woz...
Nah. Just showing off. If you run your suit with minimum gas to keep the squeeze off, rather than filling it full of gas to offset the weighty twinset JACK INGLE I HOPE YOU'RE READING THIS then you can go any way up you like in a drysuit and still retain Excessive Fabulousness.

·
Like a chubby Batman......apparently
147 Posts
Nah. Just showing off. If you run your suit with minimum gas to keep the squeeze off, rather than filling it full of gas to offset the weighty twinset JACK INGLE I HOPE YOU'RE READING THIS then you can go any way up you like in a drysuit and still retain Excessive Fabulousness.
Hmmm, some of your skill must have rubbed off on me last week, cos I was looking excessively fabulous on the Jane today!

Glen Isla tomorrow, so I might have a shiny yellow DIR type knife to play with......:wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts