YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

The Port Napier is an absolute belter of a wreck. I've done weekends at the Kyle and she's all we've dived. Max depth of about 18mtrs, her Starboard side is dry at most tide states. Then after the wreck the seabed is jumping with scallops so you can lift dinner as well. The transit from Kyle to her is only about 20mins so it can be done with shuttles taking folk in and out all day.

GREAT FUN
PeterHMS Port Napier

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Hey Peter,

check out this gaff - which I'm toying the idea of buying - which is where/how I came across the diving centre URL:

http://www.15lochbay.co.uk/

A snip at £180K !! Oh the temptation........

·
Registered
78 Posts
Imported post

I dived with Gordon Mckay from Sea and Dive the Hebrides about 3 weekends ago and can confirm that what you see in the photos is defiantely what you get!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Imported post

Hey Bren

just a word from a Wise Monkey in Scotland - the legal system for buying / selling houses here is different to Down South. Based on two little words "Offers over" - In Scotland we start with a realistic asking price and work UP, rather than (as in England) start with an inflated asking price and haggle DOWN. AND when you make an offer you are legally bound in (both buyer and seller).

This house will go for more than £180k - on average across Scotland anywhere up to 25-50% over the asking is the norm according to a BBC radio prog I heard last week, sometimes more (due to demand - its a seller's market here at the mo).

Rattle that piggy bank!

Monkey.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Cheers for the heads-up Monkey.

I've got mates in Edinburgh and Glasga and they've told me about the undiluted joys of the 'closed bid' system when trying to buy a house.

One guy was selling a gaff in Edinburgh and was asking about £200K for it, so my oppo banged an offer in of about £210K - it sold for £370k !!! FFS. Thing is, you never know just how near the right offer price you are, it's a bleedin lottery.

Any way, welcome to the boards mate, look forward to reading your posts and maybe see ya on a wet sometime.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Imported post

Thanks Bren!

Well - I'd say it was less of a Lottery than a system that allows gazumping, stiffing, double-dealing and sharking!

At least here once you got a deal, you GOT a deal.

Mind you - £370k on an asking of £200k is way better than anything I ever heard of ...

Monkey  

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF00FF'>Dived the wreck on a military expedition & stayed in Balmacara House, an RN establishment. It was a winter trip, very late January, with snow on the ribs every morning. If you have the chance to go, don't miss it, as it is PDG!

·
Resident Princess & 'Ned Redresser'
194 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>I REALLY,REALLY want to go to Skye the last w/e in August, but at the moment I can't get an answer from anyone at Dive and Sea the Hebrides - from the looks of their website there doesn't appear to be any availability - does anyone know whether there are any other operators up there?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Dived the Port Napier myself, not a bad wreck.
I remember it well as at the time when I dived it there were still mines laid on racks in the hull.
 Thankfully the RN have i understand removed all these now.  
Didn't it blow up pretty dramatically? and some of the bits got blasted onto the mainland and islands.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Fi
There used to a place called Hebridean Diving Services near Waternish. Not seen them advertising for ages so can't confirm if they still do dive charter etc.  Maybe the tourist office can update etc.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Tony - it's the same guys as Fi's already tried - they changed their name.

Thanks tho' - I've a feeling their the only show in town.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Gav
Right I wasn't aware of that ie the name change etc, sounds a little like they have something of a monopoly up there.

For alternatives it may be worth trying to make contact with one of the SSAC Branches( may even be one on Skye), they are usually pretty helpful and may know of other operators  If i recall theres a club directory on the ssac web site

Tony

·
194 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>Cheers for that suggestion Tony - there is indeed a SSAC branch on Skye, but it does look like Dive-and-Sea-the-Hebridies have the monopoly there.  However, I have left a message for their BDO to give me a call.

Fi

·
194 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>Just to say that we are off to dive Skye next weekend (20th 21st September). We are booked with Dive and Sea the Hebrides so will post a trip report when we get back.  If all goes well hopefully we can plan a return visit with some more YDers?  (I know it is a long way, but I am hopeful that it will be well worth it).  

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

Hey Fi & Gav,

You two have a stormer in Skye this weekend - dive safe and look forward to the report when you get back.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

I'll be very interested as this is where there's talk of our uni summer trip going next year so all and any info is good.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>We're back ... will post a report and no doubt Fi will post some photies.

On a non-diving front the food at The Three Chimneys - one of the best restaurants - if not the best in the Uk - was stunning.

I'm giving up diving and becoming a technical eater instead!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts