YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Resident Princess & 'Ned Redresser'
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Gav and I were watching the UK History Channel tonight (no, seriously!) and the whole night was a series of programmes "Journeys to the Bottom of the Sea" - all about diving various wreck all over the world.

One that caught our attention was the Wreck of The Swan.

This is a bit of the blurb from the associated web-site:

"Since 1991 a team of underwater archaeologists from the School of History at St Andrews University, under the direction of Dr Colin Martin, have been investigating a wreck site close to Duart Castle in the Sound of Mull, on the west coast of Scotland.... Research suggests that the wreck is the Swan, a small Cromwellian warship lost in 1653.... uncovered much fragile material, such as this carved wooden cherub... nine-week excavation season in 1999 was filmed by the BBC for a series called Journeys to the Bottom of the Sea.... Finds include carved decoration from the stern, panelling from inside the captain's cabin, guns and shot, swords, rigging fittings, coins, a pocket watch, domestic items, clay pipes, and human bones.... Although only licensed archaeologists can work on the site, the Nautical Archaeology Society (Scotland) runs a Visitor Scheme so that amateur divers can visit the site on organised Historic Wreck weekends. Further information from Philip Robertson at Lochaline Divecentre"

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/academic/history/scothist/staff/martin/swan.html

Well, having seen the programme and looked at the website, Gav and I fancy a wee trip to the Sound of Mull (already on next year's dive itinery anyway) to take a look at some of it.

Here is also a link to the Lochaline Dive Centre who work in partnership with Historic Scotland and run Sport Diver trips to various wrecks (incl. The Swan & HMS Dartmouth) that are usually designated under the Protection of Wrecks legislation.

Incidentally, looking at Lochaline's website, you can do a week's diving there (incl. accom' and all your air for £122 during peak season).

http://www.lochalinedivecentre.co.uk/

Given that the trips to the licenced wrecks are only arranged occasionally we are going to find out availability and book it quite soon.  

We would probably go for a long weekend.

Anyone fancy it?  Subject to dates and details obviously.

Cheers

Fi

·
Resident Princess & 'Ned Redresser'
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Imported post

Mmmm, thought more about this and probably makes more sense to post any replies on the Planned Trips forum...

Bye!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Cheers Fi,

Yes I'd be up for it - as I'm sure others on here would be. I saw the programme some time ago (the wreck's just below the castle on the hill?), taped off into sections for the 'dig' by the guy from St Andrews?? White bearded geezer who brought his family down every timne he did it??

Very interested in days/dates.

G

·
0 Posts
Imported post

Been there, done that and think you are getting worked up about not a lot.
The site is tiny and at the moment is covered in sandbags to protect it as there is no more planned work in site at the moment. You will find it fairly difficult to get permission to dive it and will need to contact Phillip Robertson at the lochaline dive centre to find out real gen.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I've already told her that Muffdiver but the girl obviously hasn't listened. Hmmphh, women eh? There is far more interesting wrecks up there. I'll bring a video up with me Fi to Lochaline on the weekend and it shows you all the wrecks in the sound. You might have seen it. It's one of the corny ones that talks about undersea tourists and oxygen filling machines. Worth a watch even if only for the comedy factor.

Peter

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

OK, I'll aplogise to Fi immediately. It's all that muffdivers fault for regurgitating old topics. Not me 'onest guvvnor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts