YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Trying to get a toolbox put together for all the things that can go wrong on a dive trip. So far, the items I've got are:

O-rings (leftovers from previous reg services)
Cable ties
Duck tape
Insulating tape
Fishing line and needles
Snoopy loops
Bungee
Spare LP hose (My old buddy blast hose)
Re-useable hose ends (On the blast hose)
Tyre inflator (runs off LP hose)
Screwdriver & bits (Mainly hex keys, but a few screwdriver bits too)
Spanners (adjustable)
A-clamp adaptors (For DIN cylinders)
Blanking plugs (LP and HP)
Wing nuts
Scissors & knife
Sensus Pro interface
Silicon grease
Glass disks (For torch)
Spare mouthpiece

What else do I need?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Spare mask lives in drysuit pocket - but I will put in the spare strap I have knocking around, forgot about that.

Fin strap = bungee
Might chuck in a spare one in case a buddy needs it tho...

Oh, I have glowsticks in there too, forgot about them..

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>Don't forget a spare HP hose and a few HP swivel O rings.

And a spare sense of homour, in case someone loses theirs!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Good point. I'll get hold of a HP hose when I get the chance. It's currently only been filled with stuff I had lying around

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

Hi dom, a few extras that i've got in my box.

Super glue
13mm socket and ratchet for twin band bolts.
Pliers and snips.
Black cord for pull dumps.
Surgical tubing.
Allen keys. (hex keys?)
Assorted hoses.
Pack of NEW O rings u miser

The list can go on, I've found that 9 times out of 10 its someone elses kit im fixing rather than my own.

Stu.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

I presume you've got in tank/1st stage O-rings as well as reg spares. They always blow at the least helpful moment, and then there's a mad hunt to find one for the free pint it entails.

The other thing I'd suggest is to get about 5m of bungee (50p a metre) and stick it in the bag. You'd be amazed the replacements I've built with bungee and cable ties.

I've got spare gauges, 2nd stages and even reg setups in my gear, but then my spares kit is rather large. And I've got a spare wing at the moment! Damn, I'm mr. overprepared for a problem.

A can of lager is usually knocking around, too. That's incase you don't have the one part you need to go diving...:;):

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Neoprene glue.
As well as spare fin straps I also have the plastic clips from previous fins as well.
I bought a variety of all sizes of O rings I could find - they all seem to be being used as time goes by.
Spare batteries - maybe.
Surgical gloves in case of "dirty repair".
Do you need the special Scubapro spanner for undoing the hose from the reg??
O ring remover (other than a big pointy metal thing).
Spare din inserts and LP/HP plugs.
Lint free rag.

Apologies for any duplications - my memory is not as good as err .......

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Also in mine is...

beeswax stick
spare contact lenses
spare computer batteries
mole grips
stanley knife

One of my next jobs is to try and make it a bit more waterproof though.  I get off the boat carrying a pint of water as well as the tools at the moment, and all fragiles are wrapped in placcy bags from necessity.  Out with the silicone sealant I think!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Super glue - Glue is on the list, I just don't have any yet
13mm socket and ratchet for twin band bolts - Good point..
Pliers and snips. - Live on my Swiss Army knife at all times

Black cord for pull dumps - only got one, and I don't use it. But I'll think about it
Surgical tubing - got some.
Allen keys. (hex keys?) - That's right

Assorted hoses. - working on it
Pack of NEW O rings u miser  - I'll be ordering some later. I just had these ones already, and they were already lubricated too

Lint free rag. - good point
Gloves! I forgot to put my gloves in there! How'm I supposed to get my wetgloves on without shiny plastic ones underneath??
Do you need the special Scubapro spanner for undoing the hose from the reg??
- No. A normal one works fine.
I presume you've got in tank/1st stage O-rings - Multitudes

The other thing I'd suggest is to get about 5m of bungee - If I could find the sodding stuff, I'd have 10m of it in there...

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

beeswax stick - yup, got that
spare contact lenses - don't wear them - prescription mask. got spare mask lenses tho.
spare computer batteries - not user changeable for me..
mole grips - for..?
stanley knife - got that

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

A good option for waterproof boxes is ammo boxes from your army surplus place Lou. They're hard as nails, too. If you rummage through them, yo ucan usually find one with a good o-ring in it, and I can't see a lot of water getting in to mine.

They also conveniently come in a multitude of sizes, and for about £3.

HTH

Digs.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Mole grips - for - how can you ask such a thing!?!

Mole grips becuase you can hold onto things really, really hard with them, even when things are round/wet and your hands are cold/wet.  Just useful, that's all. More useful than ordinary old pliers that are always, always, always just the wrong size for the job you want them for!

Digs, cheers for the tip on the ammo box.  I have one for the car stuff, but it doesn't have an o-ring, so I will pop into army surplus later and have a look!

Andy P has a little file in his box to file off the sharp edges left when you trim a cable tie down....damn good idea!

Lou

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

I have got to get around to looking up my local army surplus place...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Mole grips becuase you can hold onto things really, really hard with them, even when things are round/wet and your hands are cold/wet.
I'm scared
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Andy P has a little file in his box to file off the sharp edges left when you trim a cable tie down....damn good idea!
I just use a lighter to melt the ends, usually...

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ July 31 2003,13:38)]Do you need the special Scubapro spanner for undoing the hose from the reg??
- No. A normal one works fine.
Doesn't on mine - the "nut" connecting the hose to the second stage is in fact round with grooves for which there is a special type of spanner required..

I have to use mole grips on mine but that scratches my nice shiny bits and I worry abt deforming the metal.

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ July 31 2003,13:39)]mole grips - for..?
Slippery moles.

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Useful on occasions is a cheap plastic lighter. Good for "tidying up" looses dangly bits of thread that have become unstitched or frayed.

Also of course you will be able to be theperfect gentleman and be able to offer a light to any lady in distress.

Also very useful if you drift into the middle of a rock concert and need to hold the lighter lit and swaying above your head.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Or if you want to be really cool, one of those "hurricane" lighters that'll work in the worst storm.  Unlike my cheap plastic one which gives up at a puff of wind or a spot of rain.....

I am very disappointed that no-one else appreciates the unique charms of mole-grips....

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Me too, I'm off to the Army Surplus to see what they have got that I can use.

Does anyone know if Army surplus includes any Navy surplus and if the Navy surplus incudes any rebreathers

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]the "nut" connecting the hose to the second stage is in fact round
Ah, I see the problem. You're not using Apeks regs! *tut* I don't know, when will they learn...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Or if you want to be really cool, one of those "hurricane" lighters that'll work in the worst storm
I've got one of these!

But it's just a cheap plastic one tht lives in my toolbox.. tho it has got some glitter on it...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts