YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere to dive (or snorkel preferably) with Manatees in Florida. I will be staying around the Orlando area so don't want to travel too much too early. Any suggestions, reports or testemonials will be highly appreciated.

·
warm-water, single-tank, fish 'n flowers cobblers
223 Posts
I think the best place for snorkling is probably Crystal River, about an hour and half NW of Orlando. Take the Florida Turnpike (toll road). You can hire small boats when you get there and often see manatees in the shallows. Also worth a visit while you are that way is the manatee wildlife centre at Homasassa Springs Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park Home Page

Laurie

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
I think the best place for snorkling is probably Crystal River, about an hour and half NW of Orlando. Take the Florida Turnpike (toll road). You can hire small boats when you get there and often see manatees in the shallows. Also worth a visit while you are that way is the manatee wildlife centre at Homasassa Springs Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park Home Page

Laurie
I'll second that. I was lucky to be able to stay in a diving friends place in Homosassa for 2 weeks. Did a lot of snorkelling with them :)

·
warm-water, single-tank, fish 'n flowers cobblers
223 Posts
Also Monty Halls done an episode on Crystal River in the latest series of Great Ocean Adventures if you can get your hands on the DVD.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Crystal River

hello
when we went to Florida we went to crystal river and captain andy toke use out and we snorkeled with them we stayed at a best western as it was a
8 am start but he does have a web site you will have to serch for it
good luck adrian (addive)

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Crystal river north but thats more winter time with the warmer water.

I had loads (literally 6-7 at a time including babies) bayside in key largo. Several days running they just turned up at the beach.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I've also snorkelled with manatees in Crystal River but I believe that's only possible during the winter months, from mid-October on. In the spring, they migrate out into the Gulf of Mexico.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts