YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may or may not be me just worrying, but looking into insurance for an upcoming holiday, I have to declare medical issues within x many months blah blah blah, and I get all that, but it has got me thinking - am I okay to dive?

I know forums are no substitute for a doctor, so I've booked in later this week for a medical. Just for peace of mind (so I don't stress myself more) I wanted to know if any of you lovely guys and girls have been ina similar position.

The short of it is I have been undergoing numerous tests after an epidsode two months ago - I was taken to hosptial with heart attack symptoms, but it turned out to have been bought on by a palpatation caused by stress, which lead to a minor panic attack once I felt them (Nothing like thinking you're having heart problems to give you heart problems, apparently). I had an ECG and the doctors are running a rainbow of other tests 'just to be certain', but apparently my ECG "could have been the doctor's" and is perfectly fine.

Do stress-induced palpatations bar me from diving? The stress was bought on from a messy break-up, and after the first incident, I've had no issues with panic. Just in case I've stepped up my fitness regime - I now swim for an hour every morning after work and walk a few miles each day. On days off I cycle on top of the walking and swimming and have no problems with my heart on exercise.

It would be a weight off my mind before the appointment if I knew other people can/do dive with similar problems. Sorry for the little essay, but I'm terrified the Doc might say "no diving for you!!". :sad:

EDIT: My spelling.grammar is appalling sometimes >.<

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
Hi Angharad, if your ECG is fine and you have been passed physically fit, I don't see any reason to declare a panic attack after a stressful situation on your insurance.

A panic attack is not unusual when you are very upset. You can reduce the feeling very quickly by controlling your breathing - breathing out slowly for a slow count of about 5 seconds over about one minute is all it takes to calm you.

The panic was not dive related or physical (you have had a clear ECG) so you don't have anything to worry about. Unless you also feel panic diving .

Although a panic attack feels physical, it is the result of stress. So if you are now OK, over your ex and stress free, I'm sure you will be fine.

·
Squidgey Member
2,151 Posts
If stress is the route and sole route of the heart probs Ask your self, Am i stressed what am i stressed about what have i got to be stressed about?
I am on my holls (good) I am going diving (good) I AM NOT STRESSED! dont worry be happy.
The check with bthe doc is a good idia but at the end of the day. If you think to hard about it it will stress you. Dont think to long over things live life be happy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both - I had a feeling that it should be okay, but I guess I'm still a little uncertain of late. Will still get the medical just in case I think - last thing I want to be is a liabilty for my instructors/buddies. The opinions here have relaxed me some.

All of what I have no I control myself, using the 5 seconds breathing technique and, for the first few weeks, a paper bag. Still keep one handy just incase. That and I think I've largely addressed the route of the problem; where I'm not over him as such my stubborn side has kicked in and decided I will not let him be the reason I stop doing what I love and what makes me happy. :) ... and my mum always said my stobborn streak was a bad thing... =P

1 - 4 of 4 Posts