YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Does anyone have any plans, suggestions or supplier details they can share. I have a 12 9800 mAh lithium battery I got off Ebay for £20 but nobody makes a canister big enough or cheap enough. I've managed to source some good components from RS Components that are the same as used on most canisters for a lot less than what dive outlets charge. I've got all the components to make a delrin canister but stuck on the light head

I'm looking at IP68 rated deck lights as a base for a light head and wonder has anyone tried them out

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
C and D cell maglites take a 12V MR16 halogen really well with a tiny amount of work in the drill press.

The problem is, they aren't really designed for pressure.

When I built mine I cut down the tube so the silly little push button switch was gone. This 'stub' got epoxied into the head. The cable gland was epoxied into the end cap.
The big problem is the lens, it's thin and plastic, so will melt. Some people get a thin (3mm) piece of glass cut. I used 6mm perspex. It melted a bit on land, but was fine UW. You also need to beef up the O-rings at the front. No idea what size I used, it was quite a few years ago.

If you have a lathe, you could make a new delrin handle, which would be able to have an o-ring, thus be removable.

For a canister, I used high pressure (16bar) water pipe. The fixed end was made from a piece of the pipe, cut in half lengthways then warmed in the oven. Once warm it goes all floppy, so I clamped it between 2 bits of ply until it cooled, and ended up with a nice thick piece of flat PVC :)

I can highly recommend "The divelight companion" by airspeed press.

In terms of bulbs - I used a B&Q cheapy when testing, but it put out a horrible yellow light. Once I knew it didn't leak, I fitted a 5500k (White) 12V 50W MR16 bulb. This was actually overdriven at 14.4V so there was plenty of light.

A helpful site on MR16 into a maglite - Homemade Underwater Canister Style scuba-diving torch.

RS had pretty much everything I needed - latches, switch, boot, the pressure pipe (2m lengths only though). Maplin did for the wiring. You have batteries (I used budget batteries and got 9000mah D cells) so that's sorted. Hose clamps were knocking around at the dive shop, as was webbing to form the loop. I made the goodman handle out of a scrap of aluminium strip.

Have fun, it's a good learning experience :)

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Make a led one :) get the led modules from here and the drivers just make sure you have a good thermal path to the light head to conduct the heat away from the diode or you will kill the led quickly i bought a old flooded canister light and for about 50 quid in parts including batteries i had a 1000lm canister light. with a aspheric lens to focus the led perfectly only thing is its square, puts out a lot of light though. i also have a maglite half done cut down glued together but i couldn't find a lathe to finish it off plan was to put 3 1000lm leds in the head :)

Its very nerve-wracking the first time you use it but after that once you have confidence its great to know you made it yourself and it works.

·
MIFLEX DIR = "Did It Rupture"??
3,737 Posts
What are the dimensions of the battery? I have a Delrin Cannister and switched lid that may be of use....

G

·
Registered
17 Posts
Seeing the light

Started making umbilicals with torches and gland nuts and
appliance cord twisted into spiral twenty years ago fifty bucks.
From dunny pipe pvc
Couple of failures from serious bashing abuse, 50-80 metres
no problem friends borrowed spare torches whilst waiting for warrantied
1500-2000 aud best of the best, don't ask me?
back and forth for six months???

·
Registered
157 Posts
Started making umbilicals with torches and gland nuts and
appliance cord twisted into spiral twenty years ago fifty bucks.
From dunny pipe pvc
Couple of failures from serious bashing abuse, 50-80 metres
no problem friends borrowed spare torches whilst waiting for warrantied
1500-2000 aud best of the best, don't ask me?
back and forth for six months???
ditto.

local builders merchant soil pipe plus 'O' ring sealed end caps. IP68 glands, spiral lead, switch with rubber johnny from RS. 12volt car relay. for lighthead get some ally bar stock and turn it down / hollow it out, put in a face seal O ring groove and lightly clamp a glass over it, the pressure will seal it. make sure you get borosilicate glass or it will crack with the heat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts