• 44 - 65m

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I'm interested how many people with only basic qualification i.e Padi open water /bsac Ocean diver or equivalent dive deeper than trained !
Personally I'm padi open water and have been to 28 m in the UK and 36 m in the red Sea , I'm considering doing my BSAC sports diver which restricts you to 30 m but considering I have already been deeper than this I'm wondering whether I will learn much!

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

Sports Diver qualifies you to 35m (after post-qualification experience), but definitely do it, as further qualifications teach you stuff (eg rescue skills) which is useful in 20m, and is not just about diving deeper.

Laters,
  Janos

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

I am afraid I went for a null vote as I have gone past the AOW stage.

But I have been suicidal a few times and extremely suicidal once (It's out of my system now and too be honest it was not that exciting)

Generally now I tend to stick to 30m/35m as a norm (bottom permitting, that's the sea floor not the sphincter!)

Although littles trips down to 40m(ish) in the red sea have been known.

Abroad the majority of my dives have been most enjoyable in the <20m range.  More to see and longer bottom time.

Daz

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

A minor correction, BSAC SD limit is 35m and should be approached in a progressive fashion. Ie once you have completed your SD training, you can start diving past the 20m limit of Ocean Diver, to 25, 30,33,35m for example. During your SD training you are still an OD or whatever, with the appropriate depth limit.

Dive as deep as you like, your head won't explode - implode maybe

-Janos beat me to it.

Adrian

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I Have dived below my BSAC Insured limit twice now.  I'm not proud of this. The first was on holiday in the med last year, down to 26m, though I was with a group of experienced divers being led by the only good dive guide. The Second was with the VASTLY experienced and well sorted instructors from Dales Divers, over seen by Andy HayHurst. This was a qualifying dive using Nitrox and 26 M was my limit that dive/mix, though I stayed above 24m. On both dives I felt confortable as the vis was in excess of 20m, and I was accompanied by some great divers (His Diggsness, on the second).

I should point out that diving below your qualifed limit of 20m for Ocean Divers and 35m (after progression, thanks Janos) for Sports Divers, voids you cover by BSACs insurance, as does (and this is pure conjecture) diving outside the knowlegde of your DO if your a BSAC diver? Any DOs care to coment on the insurance implications of diving outside your DOs knowledge/consent?

Dave C
Ocean Diver (The best grade to be as all your kits shiney and new and your very keen to dive in any small puddle
 )

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Without getting into a discussion on the rights or wrongs of it consider this.

If you are diving below the limit of your training or agencies recommendation then your insurance maybe null and void.

Abroad this could have implications in the event of an accident requiring medical assistance.

There are insurance policies that do not have any depth limitations such as DAN.  Only you can decide whether they would be of benefit to you.

Daz

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Adam & I both went past the 18m limit of OW whilst in Lanzarote after we had got our OW certs, but we were being guided by an Instructor, shortly thereafter we did AOW. We viewed the deeper than limit as a part of our progress to slightly deeper diving. Never gone below 30m since AOW, and to be honest havent seen the point anyway.

Just not a depth junkey.

Matt

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>I dive with my club to 35m (sport diver) but I am qualified to 45m with TDI. I am doing my Dive leader which takes me down to 50m (in small progressive steps,  of course)

·
364 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dcrampt @ Mar. 20 2004,18:34)]Ocean Diver (The best grade to be as all your kits shiney and new and your very keen to dive in any small puddle
 )
<font color='#F52887'>I am Sport diver/Ass. Instructor and will dive in any puddle too. that is why I dived today at the NDC (for the 3rd weekend in a row) when I didnt have to! I am back there tomorrow because Plymouth this weekend was blown out.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>When i was a club diver (as it was) i never dived beyond what i was qualified for - 20m.  This was due to the club having a good structure and not allowing me to do anything i wasnt allowed to do.
Once i got to sports diver it took me a while to get to 35m, but i never went deeper, despite several dives where i could have done.
Now im Dive Leader, and i have been as deep as i can go really.  Im planning on going past 50m this summer, and so any idea what im sposed to do?  Inform DO?

·
"Right, done the pool stuff, what's next.........?
483 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Not wanting to sound the pessimist but we should not really be advertising these facts.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that recent news and postings have "shocked" there is no other word for it except maybe depressed. If you have gone the deepest and come back then you are above the rest of us. If you don't come back you are a statistic.
This is not meant in any way to undermine anybody's achievements.
We must learn that pub talk and "balls out" doesn't count. Don't go beyond your capabilities regardless of years of experience or just starting out. Know your limits and stay Well WITHIN thim. This will probably be ripped to shreds later in this thread but our bodies have limits which are less tolerable than our egos.

Never mind pushing the rules. Stay within them and enjoy things for far longer.

Been in the shit before didn't like it.

Sorry for the downer. John.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>sorry mat e but im inclined to go with jw on this one.
Stay safe stay alive live long and prosper.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dave

Your insurance is not invalid, it may be. Have a look at this from Keith Lawrence the BSAC Forum webmaster and a member of the BSAC Council. The whole thread is worth a read.

Has its roots here as well.

Rules or Recomendations Thread.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>I've never been a fan of the "I have been deeper than you/ last week when I was doing 3 hours deco stops" type of diver. I know my limits and dive to them, I am not afraid to call a halt to a dive I feel unsure of or if I  know it is beyond my abilities.

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wacker @ Mar. 20 2004,20:51)]its not big nor clever.
Thats the punch line to .... don't take the **** out of a dumb dwarf because........

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Oh bye the way,

I'm qual to 50m but very rarely go below 30-35m 'cos thats where our wrecks are at. I would never ever go deep to just go deep, i will go where the best diving is though or the Lobsters

Dive Safe

Paul

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Ok, im a self confessed depth junkie!  But i have waited and got plenty of experience before i started going deeper.

A club i dive with as a guest have found a wreck.  Now to quote them "she is big", they know what she isnt, but have no idea what she is.  The top is in 52m, she is intact with all the shiney still there, and i had the offer of going last season.  Before that, my deepest dives were 35-40m.  I said no.  Since then i have done a fair few in the 40-50m range, done my nitrox, got me some more gear (side slung tinnies).  So now, the answer would be yes.  Cos there is something down there to see, and i dont mind deco stops really.  I feel that dive would be stretching my experience, but not enough for it to break.  Some people get off on having a really nice pootle in 10m, which i certainly do enjoy.  But i also enjoy going deep, where you have to be on the ball.  I get off on that.  I have never dived beyond my capabilities, but i do like to extend them.  Maybe think of an elastic band, and you can stretch it so far, too far and it breaks.
I have never dived beyond my qualifications, and dont intend on doing so.

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Porg

Those are exactly the reasons i go deeper for, and like your insentive i have to have a good reason, your example is purfic.

Dive Safe

Paul

1 - 20 of 47 Posts