YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
I always wish I had a different job, I hate being deskbound.

I want to do something creative but my qualifications are office based and I can't afford to do any more quals in something that interests me at the mo :(

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
I always wish I had a different job, I hate being deskbound.

I want to do something creative but my qualifications are office based and I can't afford to do any more quals in something that interests me at the mo :(
I know how you feel Ruby. After all the tribulations of the last year I had already started thinking about a career change and possibly having several different irons in the fire. Now, after a conversation with one of my Dr colleagues today, I have a clearer and more certain idea of the way to go. The first step has to be to talk to lots of people and some surprising answers can come from unexpected places.:)

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
Oh yes I do... hence I have interview with CSI on Monday.. fingers crossed (oh and toes and everything else crossable.. lol)

B x
spoilsport! :embarassed:

I want to work in, on, or by the sea doing something physical/outdoors but I have to keep doing what I do until either my kids are out of full time education (which means I'm free of the ex too) or I win the lottery. Alternatively if someone bought the company I work for, my share options might become worth enough to wave two fingers at the world... I can dream can't I? From my office window I have a view of the Mars factory and the "Office" building and a lot of sky, guess I'm lucky really I enjoy my job, I'm well paid, I have a lot of freedom to go with the responsability... could be a lot worse. Right cheered myself up again, with a bit of luck I'll get wet tomorrow as well. :teeth:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I hate being deskbound too. I made the mistake of leaving the sea when I left the Navy instead of doing what I wish I had done...join the Coastguard.

Too late now. Mortgage and good pay mean I'm in the rut until pension :frown:

I was always driven by job satisfaction and not money, and now that I'm stuck I feel I've sold my soul to the Devil...

[Edit] Good Luck B!!!

·
Registered
941 Posts
I know how you feel Ruby. After all the tribulations of the last year I had already started thinking about a career change and possibly having several different irons in the fire. Now, after a conversation with one of my Dr colleagues today, I have a clearer and more certain idea of the way to go. The first step has to be to talk to lots of people and some surprising answers can come from unexpected places.:)
You're right you know! I have lots of mates that seem to have creative jobs they enjoy (and seem to involve lots of trips to Japan and the US for various conventions!) there must be something around!

Glad you seem to have some options looming though, it's a bugger feeling trapped! I've been doing this since Uni and I can say there's only been one job that I've enjoyed and that's only because I got to oggle coppers bums all day :D

·
Sub-optimal DIR wannabe
1,038 Posts
I'm in the very lucky position of doing just this. I am heading back to full time education to get myself out of the IT drudgery that has been ripping my soul out for the last x years.

I have a tiny wee mortgage and after six months in Afghanistan I had enough money stashed to be able to get this chance.

I am not sure my choice is due to creativity, but anything is better than IT. I may not be saying this after my 2 year LLB!

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
For almost all my life I've wanted to work on a cosmetics counter in a department store.

It's still my dream job. I also fancy being an architect.

I quite like my job, though (barristers' clerk). At least it's interesting :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
For money? Who was paying you? Well if you can get a job like that, my long held ambition to be employed as Nigella lawsons bra technician doesn't seem quite so unattainable. :teeth:
The British Transport Police were paying me, unfortunately it was maternity cover, so when the nasty person came back, I had to leave :( It was great, plus I only did 4 days a week and got paid the equivalent of 5, there was nothing wrong with that job whatsoever! :D

Are you qualified to be the afforementioned bra technician? I hear the courses fill up really quickly for some reason...

*scratches head*

·
No longer a Scapa Virgin
2,115 Posts
I have to say I wouldn't change my job (except maybe the Bra technician post!)

I'm well paid although more would be nice, i only work 3 days a week (although 12 hours per shift with my crew mate seems longer!), sit on my ass most of the time either on base or in Ambulance and get 9 days off every 5 weeks! :teeth:

Every now and then we work up a sweat and I always say it's the worst job in the world when we deal with kids but thats shortlived.

Off to check situations vacant for Bra Technicians jobs now :embarassed:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.