YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Going down on twins
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound like a daft question but I am selling two regs that I have just had serviced, and the potential buyer wants to know if I have a certificate to prove the service.

After years of diving and having my regs serviced I have realised that I have never had a certificate per se, just a receipt for the cost and the bag of replaced parts.

Do many shops issue certificates?

Thinking about it from the buyers point of view I can understand he is skeptical about the whole thing as I am selling a reg with a service I cannot prove.

·
on last legs
890 Posts
I've always had a service sheet to confirm the regs have been done.It's signed and dated by the service tech. You should be able to get one from whoever serviced your regs.

·
Full Face Convert!
203 Posts
Just picked mine up today and I didn't have a certificate or anything :( There was a zip-loc bag full of old o-rings and filters and stuff. Plus the slight hiss from the octo has gone so I assume they did some work :)

Might just be because my LDS send them off to be done? Maybe the LDS keep the sheet for there records?

Cheers, Paul K

·
Banned
246 Posts
I suspect the shop could sort a cert in 5/10mins on a PC but so could you!!
a service on a set of regs is like an MOT only good for that min of that day !
what's he want they are 2nd hand! If he wants a cert tell him to go get a new set of regs!! I would never use a 2nd hand set without getting them serviced 1st anyway!

Reactions: Zdu

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Each time I send my Oceanics off they come back with something that resembles a certificate. It might be specific to Oceanics because of the warranty, but I have a 'service history' for them which will, if i ever sell them, show that they have been regularly serviced.

·
Going down on twins
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with all the points really.

I just wondered whether service certs were common in other parts of the country because no one I know as ever recieved one from around here.

Looks like the sale has fallen through anyway so I'll be relisting them.

Thanks for the replies.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
... I would never use a 2nd hand set without getting them serviced 1st anyway!
But surely the point of the OP is that the regs have just been done. Servicing them a second time is utterly stupid in anyone's view is it not?

Chris

·
Wreck Enthusiast
4,161 Posts
Servicing them a second time is utterly stupid in anyone's view is it not?
I guess it depends whether you have some evidence that you trust that they have recently been serviced or not!

Otherwise is it not equally risky to simply take someone's word that they are ok to dive? :)

·
Registered
759 Posts
But surely the point of the OP is that the regs have just been done. Servicing them a second time is utterly stupid in anyone's view is it not?

Chris
Yes i think that was the point of the OP, and agree would be stupid, as well of a waste of money if they had just been serviced.

I get mine service at my LDS and I get a nice little certificate and bag of bits :teeth:

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
Apex gives you a service certificate plus a work sheet detailing what was needed and what was done on top of basic stuff. Signed and dated by the technician. Now i have my regs serviced by authorised technician from our dive club I dont get that any longer.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
My LDS always supplies one. It's on their letterhead and is signed, so I'd treat that as evidence of service, however, unlike many, the rec side is only part of their business, they also service/test all diving/BA equipment for the police and emergency serrvices, the Uni, State Fisheries Dept etc, so I guess the paper trail thing is pretty well second nature to them.

·
This is my happy face!!
2,640 Posts
Never had a 'certificate', I just keep the receipts, on the basis that if the regs fail and I snuff it, its something for the Missus to show the coroner/insurance company. :frown:

·
Registered
24 Posts
My apeks regs have a date of service inside the first stage diaphram than can be easily seen. I've had them serviced at two different shops and both have done this.

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
I've had certificates for my tank testing, although not every time, but I have never had any certs for the regs/first stage. I always get a bag with all the bits in, showing they have been replaced, and I get a detailed invoice stating exactly what has been done, but no certificate. I don't know of anywhere that does this myself. I use either Midland Diving or Stoney for my regs.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Never had a 'certificate', I just keep the receipts, on the basis that if the regs fail and I snuff it, its something for the Missus to show the coroner/insurance company. :frown:
AFAIUI, an instructor falling under HSE needs to be able to show that they have their regs regularly serviced - and *i think* not just if it all goes pooey, but if they happen to show up and check you out.

·
Registered
340 Posts
There's a phrase to start a new thread :D

Chris
i am a technician for apex and sherwood and when a customer gets there reg back they get a bag of old bits and a print out of what has been changed and what the interstage pressure is and any other comments about the reg all dated and signed
and i am in a club so yes there are technians in clubs:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts