YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Having started my Divemaster internship this weekend, there were certain things that needed doing amoungst these were 400m timed swim, 800 timed, mask, fin and snorkel swim, 15 min tread water with the last 2 minutes having your arms above your head etc etc.

But there was also a skills circuit to do which had to be done as if demonstrating for students, I have listed most of them below (there are 20 in total) they are marked out of 5 and you need a combined total of 68 or more to pass.

1 equipment assembly, donning and disassembly
2 pre dive safety check BWRAF
3 deep water entry - giant stride
4 buoyancy check at surface
5 5 point descent
6 remove and replace weight system
7 fin pivot
8 5 point ascent
9 snorkel/reg reg/snorkel exchange
10 remove/replace scuba unit underwater
11 hovering (30 secs in midwater)
12 buddy breathing - stationary, doner and receiver
13 buddy breathing when swimming - doner
14 mask removal, replacement and clearing
15 buddy breathing while swimming - receiver
16 alternate air source ascent
17 free flow reg breathing
18 controlled emergency swimming ascent CESA
19 swimming without mask
20 CAN'T REMEMBER THIS ONE

The question is............................ if you had to do any of the above for a new diver, breaking it down for them to understand and complete, could you?
???

I have to admit it was very difficult and I am re-reading my open water manual!!!!!

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

The only bits I can see, I think, I would have a problem with is the buddy breathing. That's because I had a nightmare doing it "as the trainee". I really don't think I'd be sure of my own ability to do it, never mind teaching a trainee.

Although it was maybe because of my training I have a problem. It was drilled into my head to take two breaths, when as I'm a slow breather anyway, it took a few attempts to realise I was happier just taking the one and passing the reg back. I found forcing the two in was putting me under stress. We were doing 20mtr ascents, with stops, and I reckon that would be harder than just sitting there or finning along. More task loading!

I don't even know what 5 point ascents and descents are!

Peter

·
Registered
118 Posts
Imported post

i would be quite happy doing all of those apart from the 5 point ascent and descents! spose i should look this up before i start my DM, unless somone wants to type it out quickly!?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Go on then, for us none PADI folk, what is/are these 5 points ?

Jack, I'd say don't worry, it's only really a problem if you find this stuff hard at the end of your internship, surely it's meant to be a learning experience rather than a test ?

·
Nefarious Activist
2,298 Posts
Imported post

Number 20 is the air depletion exercise and yes I can break them down (but then I flipping well ought to be able to as an OWSI!)

Ian

·
Nefarious Activist
2,298 Posts
Imported post

5 Point Descent (6 letter acronym, I know) SORTED: Signal; Orientate; Regulator; Time; Extend (LPI); Deflate/Descent
5 Point Ascent                                       STELA: Signal; Time; Extend; Look up; Ascend

Ian

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Thanks, to be fair this was the only course I went inot feely nervous, but it doesn't seem that bad now I have started it - although I will have to do another skills circuit.

As for the ascents and descents, I am sure everyone has their own but the ones for the DM course are:

Descent = sortd

s = signal (to buddy, ok and down)
o = orientate (to a wall or reference point)
r = swap snorkel for regulator
t = note the time
d = descend

Ascent = stela

s = signal
t = note time
e = elevate arm (above head)
l = look up above you around
a = ascend

It all takes some remembering!!!!

Jack

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I think Iani and myself answered these at the same time.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jack.21 @ May 03 2004,13:20)]12 buddy breathing - stationary, doner and receiver
13 buddy breathing when swimming - doner
15 buddy breathing while swimming - receiver
18 controlled emergency swimming ascent CESA
Well it's easy-peasy with my PADI hat on, bit difficult doing
the above skills with my BSAC one on though.
BSAC don't do BB or CESA, they are banned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Easy way of making sure you can do them. Become an
Instructor!!

TerryH

·
PSAI Instructor Trainer
199 Posts
Imported post

Hi

actualy the 5 point descent is SORTED

signal - orientate - reg for snorkel - time check - equalize (remember to do it often) - Descend

and your skill circuit will come together!

Just got back from my IE at Wraysbury and am now an OWSI too!

and several hundred quid poorer

Ian

·
Nefarious Activist
2,298 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pricey @ May 03 2004,21:46)]Hi

signal - orientate - reg for snorkel - time check - equalize (remember to do it often) - Descend

Ian
Ian,

The "E" doesn't officially exist, if you check the Instructor manual it isn't mentioned under CW1 and is almost an afterthought for OW1, hence the 5 points when there should really be 6.

Ian

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pricey @ May 03 2004,19:46)]Hi

Ian
<font color='#0000FF'>Well done Ian, never doubted you could do it.

You are no doubt knackered but feeling pretty good after all the hard work.

Hope to see you soon.  

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi Jack

Not done any PADI stuff but breaking down the skills really comes in 2 ways, 1. Bit of thought first, 2. Bit of experience as you will then see where things go wrong, so you will start to see common errors and aim of for these in future lessons.

When you have done your student debrief do your own and look at how you can improve, there is always something to do better.

I found Buddy Breathing very good for confidence boosting but totally agree with the BSAC removing it from the system, yes its another option, but redundant air is better, along with the practice to task loading issue.

Good luck on the rest of the course.

Paul

1 - 14 of 14 Posts