• I do not own a dry suit but like to vote anyway

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

When I first brought my dry suit I spent about 15 minutes trying to coat the zip in bees wax, I found this task very messy , time-consuming and frustrating, so I switched to zip lube which is very easy ,non messy and takes seconds!

The other day I asked a diver on the boat what he uses to lubricate his dry suit as it opened and closed very easily, he replied, "bugger all" !

hmm I thought, is this task really necessary! The last few dives I have done I haven't bothered and have found my zip opens and closes just as easy!

So is there something I missing?

What do you guys do?

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>a candel works well

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I put beeswax on after every dive trip, as part of the general post-dive cleaning & maintenence.

It takes maybe one minute. How fanatic were you about getting an even coating?

·
Finally not a new member
270 Posts
Imported post

Simple rub with a stick of wax everytime zip gets a bit diffuclt to open.  Which has been once in 18 months.  Never bothered with the dry suit zip though  

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

A quick rub down with the block of beeswax as the others have said - every now and again is good enough for me.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

That's what the "View results (null vote)" button is for...

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

Beeswax but then I keep bees so I have masses of it.  

PS If anyone wants to find me at a dive site and wants some then I can usually be persuaded to swap a stick for a buttie or a cup or tea. I can't believe that dive shops charge £3.50 for exactly the same stuff! (I even use the same mould they use!)

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Imported post

Zip lube very occasionally but otherwise lots of use keeps it in good condition.

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Combination of the two - it just depends which one I have at the time. I have the beeswax and my mate Andy has the lube... Woof Woof

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I use zip lube. I think it's much better than beeswax and a can lasts for years. In fact, I'm still only halfway through the first can, must have had it for about 10 years. I apply it 3 or 4 times a year.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Self confessed honey addict.  If i pm you will you post me some?
Won't it run out of the corners of the envelope..?

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Imported post

I use ZipTech lubricant.  It has the added benefit that it is rated at SPF 30 so I can dive safe in the knowledge that my zip won't develop skin cancer.

Someone I dive with doesn't lubricate his zip and the difference is very noticable.

dan.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts