YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Dear All,

DavidW_NZ recently posted a thoroughly boring question about tekkie fins on the site and ended up making contact with Daz, in the UK, who passed on a referral to his mates Jase and Sarah who recently shipped down here.  That introduction doubled our social life, believe me!

We arrived eight months ago ourselves, and found the local (lack of) diving community a very different kettle of fish from the UK.  We are gradually getting together with a motley crew of (mainly expat) dive mates who also enjoy getting their hair wet for no good reason, much to the confusion of the locals, and want to extend a welcome to any fellow Poms who find themselves down here and buddy-less.

With acknowledgement to Doc in Southampton for the group name (not that he knows we have misappropriated it as yet!) (but if you know him, you know who we mean) we invite contact from any divers in the neighbourhood (New Zealand), or any mates of aforesaid lost and lonely divers, who would like to meet up, jump in, and just look at stuff without killing it!  The only qualification is that you know how to spell “SMB”.  And how to get your round in!

Written for and on behalf of DavidW_NZ by “She who must be obeyed”
or
Jane for short

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

I'm amazed by this post!

I thought that NZ was such a boring place that the locals did whatever they could to relieve that boredom - isn't it the birthplace of bungee jumping and canyon-ing.  I imagined that the place would have been crawling with divers esp with sites like the Poor Knights (?).

Well Jane good luck with the social side.  I guess the bright side is that you're not likely to get diver soup at dive sites.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Tim mate,

You might want to brush up on yer Geography! If you live in the south of the South Island (NZ), then you don't 'just nip up' to Poor Knights (NE of the North Island), it's further than Paris to Scapa Flow!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

Hmm interesting set of posts...
Boring indeed Timming. New Zealand is one of the great untamed Habitats left...
if youve watched Lord of the Rings, they Kinda left a few trolls and orcs behind ( Oh i forgot their called ex pat yorkshire divers).  lol
and I only dream of going to the Poor Nights, its cheaper and easier for me to go to the Great Barrier Reef in Auss than it is for me to go to the North Island..

Now as for DavidW_NZ  and " She who must be obeyed" diving dilema ( Or the lack of diving)..
I dont know many people in the North Island who dive ( Foriegn country and all)..

Except between the 23rd of Dec and the 4th of Jan, Myself and my Dive Bud are going to Corramandel
for a couple of weeks of Diving, Fishing and copious amounts of drinking. So feel free to get in touch and come down for a day or two.

Or other than that relocate to the South Island and come enjoy the Zero vis diving..
But on the serious side if your selves or any other yorkshire divers happen to be in the South island give me a Yodel, I always like a nudge to go diving

As im changing my Server ill give you a hotmail E-mail Addy
[email protected]
let me know if your interested
Steve d

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

And Timming when i get more time( i have to go to work)
ill post ya some awesome dive Sites in the South Island
Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts