·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Journeys To The Bottom Of The Sea
Tue 26 Nov, 8:30 pm - 9:00 pm  30mins

Priceless Cargo

Adventurer Steve Sargison is about to face the biggest challenge of his long career. Eighty meters below his boat, in clear Philippine waters, may lie a fortune in gold. Three divers have already died trying to reach it, the locals say it's haunted and Steve is running out of time.

- I think I've seen this. It's the one they dive to (80m) on air, the guy leading the expidition lands in one of the cargo holds, silts it out and hits O2 tox problems (paralysis) when alone and without a line.......

Scary biscuits!

Next day they bring in three local trimix divers, wonder why?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Drify,

Welcome back mate.

Yes, I've seen this one: they bring in the local Mix divers and they see the lines put down by the previous divers that died on the wreck.

The guy running the op is from Yorkshire (where else??) if memory serves and has mortgaged his house to the hilt to make this salvage op happen. The boat he's on is all he has left in world (and he'll have to sell that if things don't work out).

And in the end, all they bring up is a strong box....with 'Kall in it. C'est la vie.

You tried your twins out yet mate?? Been diving since the Nitrox gig at Wast? You and the Mrs been done for smuggling drugs recently?? Come on mate, spill the beans...!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Yes, tried the twins and am VERY glad I didn't do the TDI gig - the jacket doesn't have sufficient bouyancy to support then and if things had gone pear shaped at Wast it could have been very, very nasty - for me! So I think the call was the right one, and as 2tanx has said, Hodge is the last place you want to try new gear out......

Can't dive 'til I split the twins, tried last night but don't have a big enough spanner for the mannie.

Been in hiding as had to swap a GSX600's frame for the missus - oh the fun you can have in your time off.

TTFN

PS Bren, all is calm - false alarm

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Thing is though,that "idiot" who is actually a vey experienced salvage diver was "out of time".Steve Sargison was well aware of the risks etc. re.what he had to, and did do.Probaly moreso than many of us.One of my mates/ex-supervisors was on that job and had to fly home soon after the prog.leaving Steve and the boat impounded and broke in the Phillipines.
What the programme fails to convey is that this was the end of the line for him,he had EVERYTHING in the project,it did as you will see not come to fruition so "guess" where that "idiot"is now.It's not unusual for Salvage divers to put it all on the line on a job,you don't get paid till the salve is sold,then a wage is 8% usually.Reasons why they did'nt bring in the locals earlier is that A)they're an unknown quantity,Jesus they still beleive it's haunted so would you really trust them with everything - commercial salvage is a bit more tan wreck penetration to grab a binnacle etc.B)It's less money for the team,and you have to pay them anyway(the locals).
As for the silt out described,it's narative is"viewer effect orientated"to a degree.As soon as you begin working,even just serching properly you will lose the vis,but it does'nt really matter that much cause that's what you're used to.Yeah,he knew 80m on air was at the least risky but he had a job to do,for some unfortuanately it's much,much more than a hobby.Regards,Hobby.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Hobby,

No disrespect to the man, his qualifications, achievements or what he has put on the line but I'd call anyone doing an 80m wreck dive on air an idiot...... As the old saying goes "you can't take it with you when you die" I see no point dying trying to get it in the first place. He may be able to do 80m+ on air, the programme however suggests otherwise - I don't know, I wasn't there

But as you say, shame the prog has watered down what was risked, why and the outcome

PS First part (out of time) was a direct copy from the BBC website

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Bugger,I seem to be upsetting people today with my "media misrepresentation"thing,(see the firefighters thread)no offence intended.No Drift,don't get me wrong I don't condone 80m air dives.I don't think Steve does either.Like you say the programme was made for viewing and to a degree fails to show the "position" he was in.Whatever,he did'nt expect anyone else to do it,and having considered it,decided it was his only option.Christ though,it must have been bad.For someone with a level head and enough knowledge to know better to obviously feel he needed to do that I can only hope I never have to be in that situation.As you say,the footage does'nt portray that well.
At times,we all as humans,knowingly(and that's the bitter pill),do "stupid" things.We usually,either tend to do them to save others,or in perceived situations where we feel we've no choice.Who can say how those perceptions differ from individual to individual.Take care,Hobby.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

No worries Hobby, wasn't offended just didn't know the story beyond what the Beeb said (and Ian McShane's voice had lulled me into a semi-comatose state!)

But does serve well as a reminder of how dangerous peer pressure (in this case from the bank) is and how it can affect every divers judgement regardless of experience.

Still, not bring able to use your inflator due to O2 tox was probably scary enough for him!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts