YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Afternoon all

...I was wondering if anyone could help...

...I was thinking about going to the Dominican Republic next year (about November / December time) for a few weeks and hopfully try to get a few dives in...

...has anyone been there? What's it like?

...Can anyone make any recomendations?

...Ideally I don't want to be paying tones and I don't want it to be a purely diving holiday (just want to do a few dives)

...Please help!!!

...Thanks x x x

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Kate,

I stayed at Boca Chica many years ago and must admit I did not like it.  The resort we were on was extremely touristy and it was like being in a caribean version of Toramolinos... (But then this was the very early days of the DR when it was starting to get business from the UK)

Having said that,  I't was the place where I first experienced Scuba and I enjoyed that.  

Also some of my Friends stayed on the other side of the DR (North side ??)  and they had a fantastic time,  really nice resort and accomodation and they absolutly loved the diving.  Brought back some really nice pictures as well.

I think  in summary,  it is good value for money if you get the right resort you should enyoy yourself.

Daz

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Thanks Daz, can always rely on you for a responce!!!

Thanks!!! x x

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Oooh, nice place....

I stayed at the Playa Dorada on the north (Atlantic) coast. Absolutely fantastic diving and that's still a good time thought the north starts to get interesting around Jan/Feb - more dodgy with the storms.....

If you stay around there, try looking up Seapro. If not there's a list HERE - but be careful who you use - check quals, insurance, kit, procedures etc as there are a lot of cowboys out there - best avoided even if cheaper

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate @ June 25 2003,16:12)]Thanks Daz, can always rely on you for a responce!!!

Thanks!!! x x
<font color='#000080'>Gee maybe I am just one of the old fashioned chivalrous gents I keep hearing about (helped an old lady out of a shop the other day as well  
)

Like Drifty says,  the north side seems to get the votes.  I really hope you have a great time whereever you end up.  The diving does seem very good for the money and the all inclusive prices are very attractive.

Daz

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Driftwood @ June 25 2003,18:20)]Oooh, nice place....

I stayed at the Playa Dorada on the north (Atlantic) coast. Absolutely fantastic diving and that's still a good time thought the north starts to get interesting around Jan/Feb - more dodgy with the storms.....

If you stay around there, try looking up Seapro. If not there's a list HERE - but be careful who you use - check quals, insurance, kit, procedures etc as there are a lot of cowboys out there - best avoided even if cheaper
Thanks guys!!

And Drifty, thanks for that list...will come in VERY useful!!!

x x

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Kate,

I'm going to Bayahibe with the tribe in april I'll let you know what it's like on return, we decided to book the south side as friends who have been there a few times say that the beaches are better the sea clearer and it is less windy than the atlantic [north] side.

HTH

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve S @ June 26 2003,16:38)]Hi Kate,

I'm going to Bayahibe with the tribe in april I'll let you know what it's like on return, we decided to book the south side as friends who have been there a few times say that the beaches are better the sea clearer and it is less windy than the atlantic [north] side.

HTH

Safe diving,
Steve
I'd appreciate that!!

Thankyou Steve!!

x x x

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hi Kate,

Please try and speak to Trevor Phillips from these boards, as he's only just got back from Dom Rep and will be able to give you some up to the minute info! You can reach him at:

[email protected]

HTH.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts