YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've gone diving on Barrier Reef 2 hours out of Cairns and we've decided that - for this dive - we're 'just fine' and we'll go off and do our own thing. All goes well - we see a green turtle - we head back to the boat and do our deco stop off the 5m shot line on the boat. Deco stop done and it's time to ascend and I'm looking at the pretty, pretty fish - ooh look, a pink one! - and then it's a good job my buddy grabbed me, punched me on the shoulder and pointed upwards because the extremely comfortable, lovely and very heavy OceanQuest was bobbing about in a 2m swell just above my head ready to crack my fragile little skull open.

I guess that's one of the perils of practicing ascents in a quarry without a boat - sure, we look up because there might be something up there, but we know there's nothing there really, until one day there is.

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
Ah, that'll be why you're taught in the PADI OW course to ascend whilst looking up and around, and to raise your hand when you near the surface. Not that a raised hand could fend off a spinning prop, but I suppose you could use it to push yourself back down a bit if there was a hull above you :)

Glad your head survived, anyway!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think next time I'll be using the shot line as a reference point and surfacing a little way away from the boat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be honest at this point I'm happy to consider any means of preventing head coming into contact with boat, including lying on my back and looking upwards as I surface. Not the standard thing to do, I know, but needs must.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts