YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

National Geographic, Sun 15th @ 20:00 hrs.

Diving on the Britannic. I saw this info on a trailer and, at the time of posting, my Sky program info won't show me that far ahead.

The little clips I saw looked bloody marvellous.

Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet?

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Imported post

I checked the NG web site and the time date I gave is correct. The prog will be repeated a week later at 09:00.

15th Feb
8.00pm    INSIDE THE BRITANNIC  
   She was built to replace the tragic Titanic but White Star Line's new luxury liner also sank to a watery grave. A team of divers investigate the wreck to find out why.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I will video it for anyone to borrow ( i suspect mary will kill me if she isnt first on the list tho).  If anyone else wants to borrow it, pm me.

By the way, the White Swan Hotel in Alnwick Northumberland has the 1st class smoking lounge from the Olympic - the sister ship to the titanic if you want to see what the titanic looked like.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I saw the trailer for this as well. The NG channel was my freebie last month and I've now parted with the cash and got the channel this month purely to see this programme. Looks great......
There's a couple of hours worth about another big wreck, who's name escapes me at the moment, on tonight. In fact, on just now!

Peter

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

It's the Hood and it's not on 'til 8

Peter

·
Registered
755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>lots of good stuff onthe NG channel.

I watched one recently called "Monster Lobster", about large American lobsters crossing the Atlantic from Cape Cod to Norway and taking over as the dominant lobster species in the fjords.

Sounds odd but it was actually great viewing.  

Come on the underdogs.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Discovery Science Channel 22.00 - 23.00 A programme about the Aquarius Habitat off the coast of Florida, which has been on before, but very interesting. I guess it is bound to be repeated to at some point.

http://www.uncw.edu/aquarius//index.html

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finless @ Feb. 08 2004,15:35)]National Geographic, Sun 15th @ 20:00 hrs.

Diving on the Britannic. I saw this info on a trailer and, at the time of posting, my Sky program info won't show me that far ahead.

The little clips I saw looked bloody marvellous.

Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet? Is it on yet?
Hi,

if I am not mistaken that is the film of the 1999 GUE expedition and it is supposed to be very good.

GUE Britannic Expedition 1999.

Regards,

Mark.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

The clips I've seen all had what looked a lot like DIR setup on the divers.
What I want to know is, where's the bloody prog that was being put together from last year's big expedition?
Not that it matters, looks bloody good from what I've seen.  Pity I'm in the sodding States & have forgotten to set the vid

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Feb. 09 2004,01:12)]The clips I've seen all had what looked a lot like DIR setup on the divers.
What I want to know is, where's the bloody prog that was being put together from last year's big expedition?
Not that it matters, looks bloody good from what I've seen.  Pity I'm in the sodding States & have forgotten to set the vid

Never mind Rob - you can borr.... rent my copy.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
That's very kind of you Bryan.
Please don't mention it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Should I deduct my finder's fee from the rental?
When, what, why, how, who, but ......

Well - I shall be recording it onto my shiny new Sky+ box and, from there, onto DVD - if the present Mz Finless will permit it (as said shiny equipment is actually her property courtesy of Mr S Claus).

I'm fairly sure I will be able to. Should there be any difficulties I will play the old "no sex card" to get what I'm after. Yes, I would go that far. It is amazing what can be achieved threatening to remove the "no sex" ban and start begging for it again.

It is repeated again one week later ar 09:00 hrs. [EDIT]The program that is, not the begging.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Met a bloke who dived the Brittannic- and he did it open circuit with...

Twin 20's
Two sidemounted 12's
A 7 slipped down the middle of the 20's

All independents. How the hell he stood up I have no idea.

Needless to say he's gone all rebreather on us now.

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Imported post

I just finished reading Axel Madsen's biography of Jacques Cousteau.

JYC found the Britannic and dived it on Trimix back in 1976. He did three dives on it himself.

It's amazing to think that the Calypso team were doing these sorts of dives did almost 30 years ago.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Imported post

DOCUMENTARY:  Pacific Graveyard
Channel: National Geographic 505
Date: Wednesday 11th February 2004
Time: 11:00 to 12:00 (starting tomorrow morning)
Duration: 1 hour.
Somewhere beneath the tranquil blue waters of Truk Lagoon are the remains of the Sapporo Mori, lost in a World War II ocean battle. Can the wreck ever be found?

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (gblades @ Feb. 10 2004,20:43)]DOCUMENTARY:  Pacific Graveyard
Date: Wednesday 11th February 2004
Time: 11:00 to 12:00 (starting tomorrow morning)
Somewhere beneath the tranquil blue waters of Truk Lagoon are the remains of the Sapporo Mori, lost in a World War II ocean battle. Can the wreck ever be found?
Already set up to record one week ago

Perhaps National Geographic/Discovery etc have some method of advising YD of forthcoming diving type programs.

HEADS UP - I will email them to see if such a thing exists. I will pass any favourable response on to you so you can decide if worth it or not.

Rgds
Bryan

·
Registered
90 Posts
Imported post

I have Digiguide at home and I have just set it up to highlight every program with 'wreck' in the description. Here is a list of some possible interesting programs:-

DOCUMENTARY:  War at Sea
Channel: BBC 2 102
Date: Sunday 15th February 2004
Time: 19:00 to 20:00
Six Weeks that Saved the Navy.
The story of the Royal Navy and its greatest battles. Professor Andrew Lambert recounts the story of the Falklands War, with first-hand accounts of the sinking of the Belgrano, air-to-air combat, and the ruthless sacrifice of ships and men. The film also includes the first ever underwater footage of a Falklands wreck.

DOCUMENTARY:  The Wreck Detectives
Channel: Discovery 500
Date: Wednesday 18th February 2004
Time: 20:30 to 21:30
HMS Pomone.
Series in which a team of experts investigate some of the historic shipwrecks that litter the British coastline, using marine archaeology, oceanography, historical research and the latest technology. In this programme, the wreck of a 19th century ship lying in the waters off the Isle of Wight that could be a famous British frigate sunk during the Napoleonic Wars.

DOCUMENTARY:  The Wreck Detectives
Channel: Discovery 500
Date: Wednesday 25th February 2004
Time: 20:30 to 21:30
(Earl of Abergavenny)
The detectives examine the wreck of one of the largest East India trading ships ever built, which sank in a storm near Weymouth, killing 250 people.

TRAVEL:  Globe Trekker
Channel: Discovery Travel & Adventure 509
Time: 12:00 to 13:00
Micronesia.
Megan McCormick begins her journey in Guam, one of the most important military bases in the Pacific. She samples traditional tattooing, before flying to the Micronesian capital Pohnpei and exploring a network of 12th-century canals. She goes wreck diving off Chuuk, joins in traditional celebrations on Palau and travels to the island of Yap, where she learns about the history of stone money and dives with manta rays.

DOCUMENTARY:  The Sea Hunters
Date: Sunday 15th February 2004
Time: 19:00 to 20:00
The Search for Carpathia.
Author and underwater explorer Clive Cussler joins sea hunters Mike Fletcher and John Davis and marine archaeologist James Delgado to investigate famous shipwrecks. The intrepid adventurers investigate the wreck of the Carpathia, the ship that earned its place in history by rescuing survivors from the Titanic but was sunk by a U-boat during World War 2.

HISTORY DOCUMENTARY:  Battle of The Hood and The Bismarck
Time: 23:00 to 00:00
Mighty Hood (Part 1 of 2).
Two-part documentary about the sinking of World War II battleships HMS Hood and the Bismarck. This first programme looks at the Hood, the pride of the British Navy, which went down in a matter of minutes with only three survivors after being hit by the Bismarck. Using computer graphics, underwater images of the vessel's wreck, and testimony from a survivor, the film tries to establish just what happened.

HISTORY DOCUMENTARY:  Battle of The Hood and The Bismarck
Date: Thursday 19th February 2004
Battle of the Hood (Part 2 of 2).
HMS Hood was sunk by the Bismarck in WWII, killing all but three of the crew. Over 50 years since the tragedy, survivor Ted Briggs joins the search for the wreck.

HISTORY DOCUMENTARY:  The Sinking of The Belgrano
Date: Wednesday 3rd March 2004
A National Geographic expedition searches for the wreck of the Argentinian warship controversially sunk by a British submarine during the Falklands war, with the loss of 300 lives.

DOCUMENTARY:  Titanic: 90 Years Below
Channel: History Channel 504
Date: Monday 1st March 2004
Time: 21:00 to 22:30
Duration: 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Dr Robert Ballard and his team of oceanographers go back to Titanic where it lays in its watery grave. Featuring haunting new footage and theories on how to raise the sunken wreck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts