YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Been on the local news tonight folks. Glynn Small (?) has officially seen his arse about the hassles associated with Dorothea Quarry and want's to sell /Auction it ASAP.
Anyone out there mad/bad enough to make him an offer.......

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>go for it Terry , then get Mr BSAC & Co to pay high fee to enter and dive

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Not only that, but sure most divers who use the site (currently gratis) are so bloody minded about paying a penny for entrance fees that they'd boycott the site on the principle of having to pay to use it!  

Still, and interesting proposition! [Bren calls Bank Manager for a prospective natter.......]

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>If I won the lottery, I'd buy it. And just open it up for free, let people dive it, and spend a lot of time just pootling. And dropping stuff in there! Yay! Digger gets a crane! I'd be able to sink anything!

Anyone want to sell a boat slightly larger than the stanegarth to sink in Dotty? Just so Soney can't say they've got the largest inland wreck in the country really.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Digs, the locals are dropping cars and the like in there all the time!

As I reported the last time this issue came up, my understanding is that there is already a behind-the-scenes partner ready to develop and run the site - the issue now is whether Small can dispose of his interest to someone willing to stump up the required capital.

Like you, with a lottery win I'd consider it. My Mum and Dad would then have a huge back garden for us all to play in!

·
Concreting the world!
767 Posts
Imported post

Mr Small is probably not arsed who buys it and will want as much as he can get for his big water filled hole in the ground.  I hope all the divers who use this site don't get too upset if it ends up being pumped dry and used as a landfill site.

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sandman @ Jan. 16 2004,13:03)]Mr Small is probably not arsed who buys it and will want as much as he can get for his big water filled hole in the ground.  I hope all the divers who use this site don't get too upset if it ends up being pumped dry and used as a landfill site.

If I remember correctly, thats exactly what he wanted to do with it, however he couldn't get permision.

Simon A

·
Founder Member of the 'Viet Taff'
1,523 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>He wants a million quid for the site, without planning permission and thats been refused again. The local council don't want diving there. Sadly 22 deaths in a decade mean the liability insurance would be expensive, IF you could get it and the HSE would be very interested if you allow diving to take place. I have never dived Dotty and since I live 20 minutes from the NDC I can get most of the depth I need so I now probably never will. I know it costs to get in but I'd save that in petrol and the rescue facilities are there should anything go t1ts up.

·
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I don't think the council could give a toss about diving there or the deaths, they just used this as an excuse to block Small's main interest - landfill.

And to correct some of the comments earlier, it was never his intention to fill in the quarry. As I've said before, his interests extend to much of the land surrounding Dotty that is currently covered with slate slag - this was where he was planning to use as landfill, after clearing the slate as aggregate for road construction.

There is a separate partner who's always been lined up to develop the quarry for diving. Of course this has nothing to do with any interest or altruism on Small's part - I'm sure he only ever saw it as a sweetener to try and get his other plans passed. Unfortunately, because of other issues in local politics (mainly competing interests for European money and targets for councils to reduce landfill) his plans were on for an uphill struggle. The plans to develop the site for diving backfired when deaths there gave the council ammunition to refuse it.

I'd say there is every chance for plans to develop the site for diving to be passed, providing they are independent from anything else. The only problem is that the council would now need to back-track on previous objections and to do that they'd have to impose serious conditions in the planning permission, purely to save face. That's going to prove expensive, but I don't see why Dotty wouldn't be as big a draw and as successful as Stoney and the NDC, so I'd say it could still be viable.

All that waits to be seen is if Small is prepared to sell off the quarry in part or if he insists on selling his entire interest as a whole.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

MarK,

It is very interesting to know your parents live near Dotty, I am not sure if you know the answer to this question or not.

There are sometimes people who are (or some idiot posing as) local posting on the UKdiving Dotty message board saying that divers are not welcome and they should go away, stop driving past locals houses etc etc. Is this the real opinion locally or is that attitude part of the bullshit and hot air that mostly circulates on that message board?

Very interested! I don't usually believe anything posted over there, but that sort of thing always gets me thinking!

Paul

·
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Paul,

That particular area of North Wales is not exactly renowned for welcoming outsiders - the sort of place where you walk into the pub and the darts stop in mid air. It's a bloody ridiculous attitude because without tourism they'd have nothing - there's no real industry left. However, those attitudes will not die, which is why North Wales is still firmly planted somewhere in the mid-seventies.

That was perhaps Small's biggest crime - he is English. Yes, he was driven by commercial interest and landfill is rather exploitative, yet his plans were to extensively landscape the area in parkland after completing the fill, which would have made it far more attractive than the massive slag heaps that are there currently. At the moment the Nantle valley has to be the ugliest place in all of Snowdonia. Apart from the extra work it would have brought to an area suffering unemployment around 25% it would have vastly improved the valley for everyone to enjoy. I do object to landfill, and it's a shame that the slag couldn't be cleared some other way, but I do wonder if the plans would have met such fervent opposition if they had been proposed by a local.

So to answer your question, is there a lot of bad feeling towards the divers visiting Dotty? Not particularly, they hate everyone else in equal measure!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Not particularly, they hate everyone else in equal measure!
That is a fantastic quote, can we start a YD quote of the month competition?

It is very suprising that the possibility of inward investment is so badly shunned. I am not sure a dive centre would create a huge amount of jobs, but I am sure it would do something for the area.

Cheers for the insight into "local" north Wales!

Paul

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ Jan. 20 2004,00:43)]I do object to landfill, and it's a shame that the slag couldn't be cleared some other way,
Fill the quarry with it. No slag and no dangerous quarry anymore.

Peter

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Or part fill it.  Less slag and nice dive site which is made 'safer'.
This has been suggested before and I think is a very good idea. NDC is 80m deep and they have (hopefully) got insurance for diving there, I guess it could potentially be the same for Dotty. The 100m+ area is fairly small compared to the rest of the quarry IIRC, so it wouldn't even mean filling a large part of the quarry.

Would the endangered newts be "endangered" by this sort of work though - is the newt thing actually true? There are newts in there, but not sure if they are the great crested newt which I thought was the endangered one??

Paul

·
Founder Member of the 'Viet Taff'
1,523 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>The NDC have insurance and from what I understand it ain't cheap, I run PADI courses there and the site has been developed with the full consultation of the HSE. Neil and Keirion who run the centre at the NDC, are technical divers who have spend a lot of time putting safety measures in place e.g. Rescue boat, trapeze, oxygen on the pontoons etc The chamber on site was there with emergencies in mind.
I know people talk about setting up Dotty as a site but the level of investment required is huge and it is a long term return so it requires someone with patience as well as deep pockets and then they would want to charge divers and people would moan about that.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ Jan. 20 2004,00:43)]....and it's a shame that the slag couldn't be cleared some other way....
Err...Just precisely who is this 'slag'; and why might she need 'clearing away' when she could be accommodated on a YD gig??  

I'll get my reclaimed coat...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts