YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
During the weekend of the 11 & 12 August saw the annual Dover regatta, this weekend consists of lots of displays and activities that are seabourne or connected within the Port of Dover.

This year was the second time that I manned the Coastguard stand answering simple to complex questions by members of the public young and old.
What i did find is that when people make the effort to ask questions and go into it quite deep are probably the ones trying to make thier sport safe for themselves.

Saturday.

The annual dragon boat race which is a fund raising event for the RNLI, lots of boat capsizes and bloody good fun :D

Lunch time follows a demo by the lifeboats and RAF SAR Helicopter Video of helicopter / lifeboat display
Coastguard spotter aircraft getting a good low level eye view of the event

Sunday.

Various swimming / sailing and DOG lifesaving events with a fleet review in front of the Cinque Ports admiral .

One of the most asked questions, which after featuring on the news was the following article taken from the local paper today.

·
Là á Bhlàir's math na Càirdean
884 Posts
I was supposed to be diving on the 12th, however my boss "volunteered" me for weekend working so had to cry off:angry: So I was much amused when i found out that the club had towed the boat down to Dover only to be confronted by the regatta and could not launch the RIB. So they turned round and towed the damn thing back to Rainham. So i put in 26 hours O/T and still have a pass from SWMBO for a missed dive:wink:

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was it your club that was acting as safety crew for the power boat racing ?

A group of divers came and spoke to me on Saturday and were not really what I would call locals. Excellent bunch with some cool questions :D

One was also into dinghy sailing and took away lots of leaflets .

I was chatting to one about the safety of calling the CG on departure to a dive site and the normal informaion tht we like and the benefits of having a DSC radio......... Was I gob smacked about 1.5 hours later, when the he turned up with a DSC VHF and handheld showing me. Not just the leaflets on DSC and GDMSS but a good demo on the subject as well ..... and he was more impressed that when he spoke to the shop owner and mentioned my name he got a 20 % discount on his purchase.......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.