YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having spoken to Innes at DiverSE i had arranged a Dive day off of Neptune to coincide with Innes being in the SE. Unfortunately the tides were a bit harsh with a 0545 :eek:mg: meeting at Dover.

However we had all 12 there and onboard Neptune so out we went looking for some Viz, the initial targets had been shallow inshore Subs but there was no viz there.

Out past the Varne bank we went to find some quality Viz mid channel, the target was UB38, a very successful UBII Attack sub that had sunk 49 allied ships. On the 8 Feb 1918 while trying to get through the Dover barrage she was sighted and attacked by the Dover Patrol and 20 min later after submerging struck a mine and sunk. She was dived on for the first time soon afterward by Commander Damants Tin Openers.

Today we dropped down to find the Sub in a max depth of 32m, with the shot line draped over her gun, she lies on her Port side and is quite intact with the outer hull largely corroded away.

I got on the wreck soon after Innes and we had a very nice 4-5m of light viz, having had a good look at the gun and into the conning towers open hatch i was surprised at how empty of sand she was as you can see a lot of the control room.

The periscope is intact and the optics are on view.

Moving to the stern this is heavily damaged and the props have been salvaged. Along to the bow passing the open gun crew hatch, which again gives a very good view into the quite empty interior. The bow is quite broken with one section just froward of the hull where i bagged off a nice lobster, the decking is gone and you can see all the winching gear for the anchor.

An excellent dive with a total run time of 47min on EAN30 Backgas and EAN80 for Deco in 10 degrees water. The sea was a bit rough though :)

After a return to Dover and a big fry up we went back out for Dive 2 on the U8 a rare pre War sub with no deck gun. This sub had some success in the early part of the war but on her 3rd patrol was located and attacked by the Dover Patrol, after sustaining a lot of damage the Captain ordered abandon ship and they surfaced to do this, becoming the first U-Boat to be photographed sinking as the crew were taken off in lifeboats.

Today the wreck sits in a scour of 35m with the decks at 32-33m, i did however get a depth of 37m under the stern.

Upright she is very intact with her prominent conning tower, the stern is intact although the props have been salvaged and there is a large net hanging down off the stern, this is easy to avoid. She is 60m long and quite clean of obstructions and having covered the length the impressive bow is very intact.

The site is very silty and although we had some nice Viz of 3-4m it did stir up a bit with the 11 divers on site and we had a few areas of virtually no viz.

So an average depth of 33m and a max of 37m and a 37min runtime in 9 degrees water.

Rob, Carl and Debs discuss post dive beer options.

A rather excellent day :)

Chunderfish after being told she cannot enter the bridge in her Dry, Drysuit.

Dad brings home a Lobster for Dinner

The Lobster is now named Fred and the centre of attention :)

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Top report

Gutted I couldn't make this one mate, it sounds great.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Là á Bhlàir's math na Càirdean
884 Posts
thanks for organising this dive, had a great time doing the UB38. Disappointed that several issues arose that prevented doing the second dive not least that my back had been sore for several days prior to the dive. This has really made my mind up that it's over to twins and erd:thumbs_up:

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Sounds good. The longer I remain a submarine virgin the more nervous I become about losing it. Seems like you've got almost all the subs up Dover way?

Oh, by the way, two lovely girls but I'm not too sure about your third child? :):)

:teeth:

·
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should have added that it was great having a real expert on the boat, what ever we had seen Innes was able to tell us what it was and what it was for, very educational.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
I should have added that it was great having a real expert on the boat, what ever we had seen Innes was able to tell us what it was and what it was for, very educational.
I'll bet he just makes up names for the different bits ......... who's going to argue with him? :)

·
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There was many a sage head being nodded in agreement to the explanation that this was "The Ginkle Pin that held the doohickey for the sponkel pump in place" :)

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
There was many a sage head being nodded in agreement to the explanation that this was "The Ginkle Pin that held the doohickey for the sponkel pump in place" :)
Yeah, I think our RHIBs got one of those! Apparently it makes the glumbunk nyburbulate faster..........or something...

Dianne

·
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As we can see Fred fits just right on a serving plate :)

A Lobster this size would cost a fortune in the shops, and i let one go that was twice the size 'cos it was in berry :(

·
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
This is what the early petrol driven model U8 looked like, there are some famous pictures of her crew abandoning ship about as well:-

More info about both on U-Boat Net

U8 and UB38

Reactions: Madfish

·
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It clears up as you cross the Varne and gets better as you approach Le Colbert, not really worth thinking about diving this side of the Varne at the moment, but its clearing up with these Neap Tides and mild wind :)

G

·
Many thanks Paul, it was a great extension to the Easter Shandy gig by you kindly inviting me onboard for the day

Innes' great enthusiasm is fantastic, he was fairly quite but once you asked him a question about "what was this" or "what was that", a great wealth of knowledge came through. Its no surprise that he wants to come back for more!

Excellent skippering by Dave (ablely assisted by Brian) who once again went out of his way to find the viz, although shotting the first sub across the gun was just showing off :D

Much appreciated
Gary

·
iron chief
1,470 Posts
U8

How good was the U8. 50- 60 metres of pure amazement from one end to the other.. This was one hell of great dive. Its a shame though. I missed the conning tower. Apparently this was the best bit.. I finned right past it and didnt think to look around it.. DoH.....

Yet again Dave and Neptune crew puts on a great show great wreck, long slack and 2 saugage rolls. Great Stuff..

Rob

·
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think you just have an aversion to Subs Guns and Conning Towers ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
The Dive Crew

IMG]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/501diver/10Aprilsubday.jpg[/IMG]

And yes after all my complaining about subs it was a good days diving.

·
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Yes, nice of Innes to clean the periscope off for us :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts