YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Well the others are still out on the boat but I'm back home now after another good day on and under the open water.

After reading the trip reports for the past few days I was a little pessimistic about the viz for todays and unfortunately I was right.  

Viz varied from 50cm to 5cm at times on the Loanda, but despite this Jules and I managed to find some bits of glass and some blue beads we also came across a lobster prancing around in the open. I don;t know who was more surprised - us or him. Jules let out a "ooh" of surprise that was audible even to me and we looked at the lobby for a couple of secs, he looked at us, before he decided that discretion was the better part of valour and buggered off into a hole sharpish.

I pootled around the wreck a bit more and had a hard-stopping moment when I went inside without meaning to. Although it was only about a metre or two inside it was a but disconcerting to feel metal all around me but I turned around and came out without incident and then came up.

Back on shore the pub was closed so we went to a champion cafe for a great breakfast and a bit of dive talk and gossip.

The others stayed on for another dive, but I'm getting food cooked for me tonight so I reluctantly headed up the M20.

Cheers to all involved, especially Andy.

Laters,
   Janosl

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Well, I turned up at the boat, looking like death warmed up after having my third early morning wake up in a row. Tony ( Col M  ) was already waiting there for me, we prepped the boat and as he got the kettle on, I seeked out the local fisherman to find out any positions on good viz.

YD’ers started to turn up, and some looking worse for wear than me , ( Spike and his motley crew ), DanE was bubbling with excitement, Dan just doesn’t like early mornings , Janos was his normal happy go lucky self , full of beans , Juz and the lovely Blainaid ( makes Howards hood look sane ). Then I’m greeted by the lovely Jules, my god some of you could have warned me .

All onboard with coffee’s in hand , it’s off we go to the Loanda. The sea was flat, sky looked as if we were gonna get a drop of rain, and all I could hear was the divers planning who was doing what.

Juz had came out for a ride yesterday , after leaving his drybag behind, so we had discussed that if he had time , he would sort out Chasey’s attempt at playing commercial salvage divers with a 65 kg lift bag,

Janos and Jules were the first in and soon got beneath the slight odd ripple that passed, followed by Spike and gang & Dan. Juz went in with a big splash scoring a 6.7 6.7 6.8 and waited on the shot to be followed by his Buddy Blainaid who kindly looked after DanE.
Spikes mates had a few problems with weight , and after being dragged back onboard and had their stab jackets pockets filled with odd bits of anchor chain , but soon sacked the dive. Jules surfaced with a “ crap viz “, but she saw a lobster, and all the divers below heard her when it crept up to her face plate and gave her a little bit of a shock,

DanE was impressed that he saw a anomone thingy, Juz sorted out the shot line mess in less than 5 minutes, and Dan was just trying to empty his cylinder by staying down for bloody ages. All onboard making our way back to Dover Coffee in hand the sun starts to poke it’s head out the clouds, making a real nice day.

We tie up, Janos and Dan say the goodbyes, the rest of us go across the road for nice cooked brekkie, the café owner looks weird at Jules as he hands her 2 cups of Tea , also I think it’s the first time that the owner had seen divers there in their undersuits , Tony takes spike to pump his tanks as we head back to the boat, relaxed just chatting , the boat is charging the Jule’s torch , juz has us in stitches , just cracking us up with silly little things. DanE sits there quietly, wondering what he has let himself into with this diving lark.

I slope off to a high point on the cliffs , to see if any signs of Viz, but all I can see is flat sea and sun, getting back to the boat, jules has got herself on the bunk , wrapped in a sleeping bag, spike and his buddy are pushing out Z’s in his car from the lack of sleep the night before.

Time comes to leave for the second dive, and off we head to the edge of the shipping lanes, shot is dropped, divers in and it was so relaxing and peaceful just sat there watching bubbles , VIZ WAS FOUND,,, a good 1 & ½ mts, Jules couldn’t wait to tell all that she saw a Scorpion fish, DanE has now been bitten by the UK diving bug, spike had a good drift down the channel under his Dsmb and Juz has become the official Taurus Shotline Sorter outer.

This was a excellent day, and was great yet more fellow YD’ers had met up with each other.

Thanks all for a great day.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Viz varied from 50cm to 5cm
Janos , mate,,,,,,,,

first thing in the morning ,,, get to SPECSAVERS and get ya eyes tested ,,,, It was a good meter

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Blimey I am amazed he sorted out that shot line

I will have to put two granney knots in it next time.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Andy

What was the second one you did?

Paul

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Soooooooo got any more mid weekers planned Andy??

My next booked trip is not untill the 14th March so Id  like to squeze a couple in.

Mark Chase

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Me too, but then Mark already knew that, I'm back in the water. Need more, oh boy do I need more, I've missed way too much diving. I even had to think when utting the kit together

Andrew

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Imported post

Guilty as charged.  Was definately excited, if a little nervous.  Thanks to Blanaid and Juz for looking after me
 and for bringing huge amounts of chocolate with them

The viz was interesting - hadn't seen anything worse than 2m before (Guildy) but I was so impressed that I could see little bits of the wreck and finding my very own Dead Mans Finger.  Came up with a big grin on my face.

I had a fun day and it was good to put some faces to names.
dan.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>It was good to finally get out on Andy’s 'Pride and Joy'................ the boats not bad too mate!

It was great to put faces to names too.

And of course, it's good to find about a little more about people.

So......
Janos - more about the needlework hobby please
DanE - Just never shuts up!
Jules - Keep trying to stick it in Hon! Many thanks for trying tho. Oh yeah, and she platted Blanaids hat............
Spike (& Clare) - Welcome to Surrey
Blanaid  - Her hat makes Juz's look normal!

Thanks all for a great day.

Juz

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

likewise, great time was had.
Sorry i couldnt do Juz's weightbelt back up, i kept sticking the end it but it wouldnt go through,  dont why he decided to take it off mid dive anyhow?
Enjoyed meeting you lot and sample the delights of andy's bunk.
lots of tea and choccy. main casualty was a startled lobster and a broken tooth (mine).
Nice wrecks, what we saw of them,
definately character building viz!

Thanks to Janos and Juz for the expert buddying

jules

·
The brains & beauty behind 'Kinky Divers'
1,585 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>early mornings in Dover & pea soup viz, ahhh I remember it well!
It was a great day, even if we just about saw each other!

Great to meet you all,
what a motely crew we made in the cafe, the owners wife liked my hat too!
Thanks to Jules for the plaiting, (came out in the wash) hope the tooth gets better (stick to Buttons!)
& we must remember to make sure Juz doesn't drop any more bits of kit over the side!

DanE, next time we might find the lobbie! & we always bring the sugar fix with us!
Blanaid

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Andy,
      every time we read these trip reports it's always;
Mr X did this, Mrs Y did that, Mr Z is now the official this and, oh sh*t I've ran out of alphabet, but the point being, do "you" actually do "anything?" Is it really worth you going at all? I think you're just extra un-needed clutter on board!
Suppose they could just stick you in a suit, pump it up and use you as a shot buoy

Jules,
      I hear you got my Valentines kiss! Was it a goodun? Anyhoo, that's you tried the rest, but you know where's best!

Peter(International Playboy)Kelly

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Right you lot, stop posting trip reports  
  I haven't dived since December and have nothing until Mull in March.  Stop making me feel like I should be doing something.  

Roll on Mull.

Fiona

·
Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

Nice to add a few more names to faces, came down over the weekend to give Andy a hand an act as crew man, ( get me out the house)
as I only live just down the road  

It was a really good weekend, could`nt ask for a better day, even with the sun out.  

Tony

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Feb. 16 2004,14:40)]Jules,
      I hear you got my Valentines kiss! Was it a goodun? Anyhoo, that's you tried the rest, but you know where's best!

Peter(International Playboy)Kelly
Not sure i did get it, maybe Andy cant even do that right either! LOL.
Jules

·
Registered
179 Posts
Imported post

I though the viz was fanastic. There was enough to see whats 5" away, how much more do you want, UK diving at its best

As for staying down for bloody ages, you should do what Skipper(Dive eclipse) does. He normally throws me over the side first as a slack tester
I would of stayed down longer as I was really enjoying the dive, it was only the fact my hands went numb. I have to amit I was quite surprised to surface to find I was last one up and that everyone else was back on the boat drinking tea and eating chocs, bloody wosses the lot of you

Andy, nice boat but top tip...change the brand of teabags, they where awful, stop being tight and invest in some PG Tips

Chasey, odds are me and Mork(if I can get the time off work and it works out ok with Morks shift)would be interested if you plan on booking any mid week dives with Andy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts