YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I'm sure some people here have or have in the past had a Dive Rite Classic wing.

My question - would you say it was OK to use with twin 7s?

It seems over-sized to me, but I'm not sure. It's just that I'm thinking of replacing the Tekwing at some point, but need a wing that'll take twin 7s AND 12s.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Well, it's rather battered...

I haven't made up my mind - it's just an idle thought. Mainly, I want to give a horse-shoe shaped wing a try - the Tekwing being a donut shape..

·
Registered
236 Posts
Imported post

I think I understand the difference between a doughnut and horse-shoe wing (the air cell connects across the bottom of the wing). But what does this difference really mean to diving, better trim??
ta

Andy B

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Essentially. I think. Basically, if I tilt slightly to one side with a Tekwing, all the air is free to rush to one side due to its toroid shape - which can make it a bit awkward to stay level sometimes. A horseshoe wing might not have this tendency. Or it might. It could just be that I'm one of nature's tilters

But there's only one way to find out..

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi

Horseshoe types still allow gas to move from one side to the other, depending on your trim in the water, the difference between them and the donut type is simply that the tanks are closer to the plate. The horseshoe also allows the bladder to be taken out and replaced if need be.

I don't know the lift on the DR but the Halcyon 40lb wing will do the job. If the DR is equivalent then that would be OK too. Its important that the wing is small enough not to wrap around the 7's too much causing trapped gas and at the same time having the lift for the 12's.

HTH

Andy

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

You lost me there WL - I can remove the bladder in my Tekwing no problem.. and I can't see how the tanks are moved farther away from the plate by the wing - what am I missing?

I know the horseshow will allow air migration still, but bear in mind that wings are designed so that the air tends to live in the lower part of the wing - so a horseshoe should cut down on how easily the air can move from side to side, which is what I'm after.

Oh, and the Classic has 27kg of lift - that's about 60lbs. Hence my concern that it might be a tad large. I did consider a (de-bungeed) Trek wing, which has 40lbs lift, but I'm not convinced about using it with 12s..

Besides, it only comes in black

·
Registered
283 Posts
Imported post

IMHO if only diving either 7's or 12's I would go for the REC wing.  This is still a horshoe shaped wing and is more than adequate for twin 12's without being overkill on twin 7's.  You also have the benefit of the control cord so you can reduce the amount flapping around when diving the 7's.

Having said that, if there is a chance that you might want to add a stage later, you might be better off with the classic.  In terms of lift capacity, the rec wing is only about 5lbs less tahn the classic, but seems a lot more compact.

John

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Dom,

I have used a trekwing with single 12+pony and twin 10's but it is a bit borderline on lift.  (Ok with single and pony on holiday).  Does not really lift me far enough out of the water for my liking.

I use a DR recwing with my twin 10's and it seems to be more than up for the job.  Will let you know how it goes with twin 7's after christmas (The wife won't let me have them before  
) although I have no doubts it will be fine for the job.

Daz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts