YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Agree, but as one of the replyees, I couldnt let the 'use entinox' advice go un-checked. I realised it would fan the idiot but I thought it dangerous advice.

Matt

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Imported post

Odd though that he came back at me as if he 'knew' me, its the first time I have responded directly.
I shant waste anymore effort on this idiot though.

Matt

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

As "Everydiver" infers, it's the webmaster's job to sanitise the forum and keep it free from idiots like him/them. He did "terminate" Dr Tim but that evidently wasn't enough. Unfortunately, he (Mike) seems to be out of the office a lot (he lives in France) but hopefully he will wake up soon. Of course you can choose whether to rise to the bate or not but you shouldn't have to. Who wants to pile through endless piles of crap in the hope of eventualy finding something worth reading? Anyway, anybody using their employer's computer for Internet abuse is putting their job on the line. Dr Tim and his employer were identified and this guy/these guys will undoubtedly be too if he/they persist(s).

·
Registered
964 Posts
Imported post

I think everyone's taking this subject too seriously - can't believe it ends up being discussed here as well.

Personally, I think it's amusing, I mean 'do instructors get the best women?'  

It's also given people a good opportunity to have a ruck which always seems to go down well in the other place.

It's hardly likely that anyone, new diver or otherwise will be able to obtain an Entinox fill is it?

As someone mentioned, it's all the replies that keep the threads alive.  If he was ignored he might go away (like a certain ranting American a while ago).

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Nortcliff @ Feb. 19 2004,10:28)]I think everyone's taking this subject too seriously - can't believe it ends up being discussed here as well.
As someone mentioned, it's all the replies that keep the threads alive.  If he was ignored he might go away
<font color='#F52887'>Exactly!!! now just ignore it and keep it out of here. yet again he is being talked about, I would rather just wipe him from my memory.

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

John
my point was that a diver should be aware that Entinox is bad news, not all Ambulance crews or A&E know this. its up to us as divers to know it. Suggesting it was a good gas is ridiculous at best, dangerous at worst.

Matt

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Feb. 19 2004,10:36)]John
my point was that a diver should be aware that Entinox is bad news, not all Ambulance crews or A&E know this. its up to us as divers to know it. Suggesting it was a good gas is ridiculous at best, dangerous at worst.

Matt
<font color='#F52887'>well in that case, the way to go would be to complain about the potential for injury caused by a posting on the site and the webmaster should remove it.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Feb. 19 2004,10:36)]John

Matt
It's not really common knowledge though is it?  Perhaps because of that posting some people will find out what it is and why it's bad for us.

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Perhaps, but given the person had indicated it as a good gas would a newbie/un-educated diver then tell the Emergency services not to administor? I think it better to put the advice on the web for all to see. Waiting for Mike to remove it might result in a delay and causing an injury to a diver, so I felt a disclaimer was the way forward - realising it would fuel the idiot was a price I thought worth paying.

Matt

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Could you actually dive with Entinox and just accept the deco penalty? I'm not intending on doing it, just wondering!

Peter

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Imported post

I agree, the reply Matt got did very much read as if it was someone he might have had a disagreement with in the past. That, along with the fact that Mr Tim and his family have so far left YD alone may indicate Mr Tim/Tubby etc is someone from this forum, who repsects YD and has so far left it unmolested.  

Or am I just being paronoid? what, who was that, who's there - leave me alone!!  

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Feb. 19 2004,10:07)]Anyway, anybody using their employer's computer for Internet abuse is putting their job on the line.
<font color='#0000FF'>oops  

That's me down the road then

FB

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FionaB @ Feb. 19 2004,12:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Feb. 19 2004,10:07)]Anyway, anybody using their employer's computer for Internet abuse is putting their job on the line.
oops  

FB
Nobody could ever accuse you of abuse, Fiona. Excessive use, perhaps, but not abuse.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Could you actually dive with Entinox and just accept the deco penalty? I'm not intending on doing it, just wondering!

Peter
Nitrous Oxide (50% of Entonox) is about 30 times more lipid soluble than Nitrogen, and thus highly narcotic (enough to nark you at the surface, as I'm sure any accident victim will tell you!).

At more than 1 Bar... well, I don't think you'd be able to remember much of your dive...  

Cheers,

Fraser.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Feb. 19 2004,12:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (FionaB @ Feb. 19 2004,12:22)]
[b said:
oops  

FB
Nobody could ever accuse you of abuse, Fiona. Excessive use, perhaps, but not abuse.
<font color='#0000FF'>Thanks John

I'll make that my defence when they catch up with me
 your honour  

FB

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
Imported post

When you read something in a magazine, it has been read and modified by a sub-editor and looked at by an editor and is approved of by a publisher. It is no longer the pure work of the author. If you see something published that you do not like you always have the option of taking legal action against the publisher.
Open forums on the internet are not like that. I have written down these thoughts and they are sent winging their way across the world without control. Nobody even checks the speling!

So really, forum postings are the modern equivalent of end-of-jetty discussions. You should not let them upset you nor should you try to throw anyone in the water.
There will always be someone to add something silly to the discussion (often me) but we must adjust our thinking so that the power of the written word is diminished in this context. So if you see something silly posted, the mature way to handle it is the same as you would if someone shouts at you from a passing truck. Do not chase after them and try to have a ruck. Someone always gets hurt!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Darren A @ Feb. 19 2004,15:32)]Even YD's own Mr J Gulliver answered the clown fish thread!  
Yes, I fell for it. I thought the poster's name was a bit over the top but it could have been genuine and the question seemed reasonable enough. Lot's of people fancy having a marine aquarium and I would myself if I thought I could do so successsfully without an awful lot of work.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Imported post

Just a thought on Dr Tim AKA Tubby, Dive Monkey etc.

Tubby did in a very early post refer to Warren and gave the
phone number of Diving Leisure, London.

Nearly all the posts are in work-time. Is Dr Tim an employee
of Diving Leisure or just very chummy with them?

Maybe I should ask them?

TerryH

1 - 19 of 19 Posts