YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
30th of September 2006. Snap. Knee shagged.

Apart from a short, but slightly sore, trial dive on Easter Monday I haven't dived since rupturing my cruciate ligament in Dover back in the autumn. Recently, after a few setbacks, however, my physio has been going well, and with the weather this weekend turning out better than forecast, and the view from the surface looking pretty reasonable when we took our kayaks out near Falmouth yesterday, today the drysuit and kit got dusted down and a truly frontier-pushing dive was attempted - we did a shore dive of Drawna Rock from Porthkerris beach! :D

Now, it may not sound much, and indeed it wasn't, but it was bloody brilliant. Back in the water again, knee felt reasonable, even climbing the steep rock off the beach, viz was a creditable 3m and the sea was flat and sun shining. We got in almost spot on low water after a leisurely morning at home. It now takes us just an hour to drive to Porthkerris and although there are undoubtedly closer dives, this was one we knew and I wanted ground i felt comfortable on to calm the nerves.

Nothing to worry about really as we drifted with a slight current up north of the reef, and then ferretted along the bottom south and west back to the start point. Lots of kelp, spider crabs - large and the true, tiny spider crabs. Cuckoo wrasse, goldsinny and corkwing wrasse, along with the bruiser ballan wrasse. A school of young pollack off the southern tip were slihoutted by bright sunlight to finish the dive. It was perfect. Can't wait to do it all again. Might try and get a couple of spots on Baymarine's Friday nighter this week - after work dive anyone?

:D

Thankyou for reading the dullest trip report in history....transmission ends.

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Lou, we don't want to read any of this boring crap.
Lou said:
Lots of kelp, spider crabs - large and the true, tiny spider crabs. Cuckoo wrasse, goldsinny and corkwing wrasse, along with the bruiser ballan wrasse. A school of young pollack
What deco did you do? did you use Helium? Your post raises so many unanswered questions. :D

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Bloody hell women all I read was "knee shagged" and thought you had suffered a set back.

Well done on the dive, I am sure Caroline was glad to be back in the water :D

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Now, it may not sound much, and indeed it wasn't, but it was bloody brilliant. Back in the water again, knee felt reasonable, even climbing the steep rock off the beach, viz was a creditable 3m and the sea was flat and sun shining. We got in almost spot on low water after a leisurely morning at home. It now takes us just an hour to drive to Porthkerris and although there are undoubtedly closer dives, this was one we knew and I wanted ground i felt comfortable on to calm the nerves.
Welcome back :)

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Never mind the dive...
What flavour Roskilly's did you have to celebrate???

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never mind the dive...
What flavour Roskilly's did you have to celebrate???
Ahh - a double tub, green plastic spoon - my traditional favourite of Hokey pokey on Ginger Fairing. Caroline went for the radical Tiramisu on Cheery and Marzipan.

Howard - you are so right. I apologise for the gaps. We decided to take a risk with the END and take it all the way up to 10m. All deco was done at 10m or less. Hmmm. As was the dive, now I come to think of it :D

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Lou, we don't want to read any of this boring crap. What deco did you do? did you use Helium? Your post raises so many unanswered questions. :D

wot he said :teeth: number one unanswered question, when are you coming spidging? :angel:
mike.

glad your back in the water lou.:thumbs_up:

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Glad to hear you are back in the water Lou, come play on Friday evenings (although I will get as close to the water as tea monitor this week).

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad to hear you are back in the water Lou, come play on Friday evenings (although I will get as close to the water as tea monitor this week).
How do you book them? :D (and mine's white, no sugar)

Thanks to everyone for the wishes. Mike, any time I make it as far east as you we will come and plunder.. :p

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Either give Shaun a ring direct or phone Colin in Seaways and he'll pop you on the list.

Have PM'd you Shaun's number.

Mary

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
Welcome back to the water.

I can't make this Friday, I'll be on my way back from doing something silly in Weymouth and won't be back in time. It's best to contact Colin as he runs the list, it has been getting full lately so best book early, all the warm weather divers are coming out of the woodwork and filling the boat!

I'll be on there the following Friday, maybe see you then.

·
The brains & beauty behind 'Kinky Divers'
1,585 Posts
whoo hoo!

Well done!
Drawna Rocks was my 1st 'proper' UK dive (was in the sea not a lake! ;) )
Glad you are well on the mend, & great report!

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Great, glad to hear you are on the mend and back in the water.
Roskillies........ mmmmmmmm

1 - 20 of 35 Posts