YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

1,770 Posts
Imported post

John,

I've got to agree with your point BUT it's up to others how they prepare for diving.

Yes you're right that dehydration can be a major contributor to DCI and it's not a good idea to booze before a dive but hands up who has never had a drink the night before a dive.

If I wake up and feel dehydrated  - I'm not diving if I've had a beer the night before or not. If I think my buddy is unfit to dive I'll tell 'em and I won't dive with them.

As many on these boards will attest - I like a wee drink on occaison - single cask, single malts are prefered but I'm not fussy - however if I'm diving then my intake is severely limited. I had a bad experience due to dehydration Once on a shallow (25-30m) wreck I had a spinning head and after a minute or two of heavy breathing before I could straighten myself out - I vowed not to put myself in that situation again.

I saw both Bren and Davie on Saturday morning. They looked OK and I think Bren's trip report rather over-egged the extent of their lack of kip or the ammount of alcohol they'd got through. In any event the departure of the boat was put back a couple of hours and for a very simple shallow dive they were both fit to dive IMHO.

Myself on Friday night I had no alcohol and on Saturday me and Drifty managed a storming three pints of Guiness. Was that over the top?

Anyway to reiterate - If my buddy is unfit I'll tell him and won't dive, if someone on the same boat as me is unfit I'll have a quiet word. Apart from that what can you do?

1,770 Posts
Imported post

So Ben - still coming north this w/e.

Whisky and diving? We can toast John and Bren and Dave.

BTW John I've never seen Bren sober so can't comment on his sober diving abilities!

... Hey I'm kidding ok!

1,770 Posts
Imported post

As I said in my first reply - Bren and Dave both appeared fine to me. If I had had the slightest worry I'd have said: "Come on boys why don't you wait for the afternoon eh?"

The great thing about Billy is he would have still taken me and Drift and Steve out and not worried about Dave and Bren.

I agree with Dave that any probs were probably caused by brand new kit including regs and a bit of a swell and surge.

I may - amongst other  - get slagged or not attempting "deep or challenging dives" - but even Abbs at 20m with a four-five knot drift can get mighty challenging on its own. Add to that a bit of surge and you got a fun day out.

Anyway - no-one was pissed or hungover - that I noticed and everyone had a fun and safe time.

I'll leave this thread now, sure that no-one meant any offence and state that drinking and diving is not a good idea, neither is smoking and shagging in cold water can seriously damage your credibility.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.