YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some northern diver 'dry' gloves, they are however not very dry unless I roll up my neoprene wrist seals and put the latex gloves seal over the underside of the wrist seal.  I can only do this to 1 glove on my own and it seems a pain explaining it to others each time.
I was looking at some nice dry gloves that just pop on, anyone used these before?
The work by clamping a ring onto the suit further up from the wrist seal ( wrist seal is still used) the you put some cotton or wool gloves on then pop the rubber ones on top.
From the people I have seen using them they reckon they are fantastic provided you are careful not to tear them (you would wear normal gloves for working underwater).
Does anyone here have an opinion on these?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Imported post

hi,
Tried a pair of the dry gloves with the rings that fix into your suit - horrible! it seemed that no matter what i would get a small amount of water in the glove/s and once wet they dont keep your hands warm at all. also you loose a lot of dexterity (mr blobby hands) so unless you really have a problem with the cold id steer clear!

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Dry gloves - horrible horrible horrible.

To get a decent bit of insulation at depth you've got to have them practically balloon shaped at the surface, so have no manual dexterity whatsoever when you're trying to adjust mask/fin straps etc.

Then when water gets in (as it inevitably will sooner or later) you get seriously cold.

Best to add an extra base layer (cos it's all about keeping your core temp up) and some decent wet gloves. 5mm gloves are a pain, but not nearly as much as dry. Have heard many  good reports about 3-finger mitts from the extremely Northern brigade (John Gulliver), just never been able to get hold of them over here. Worth a look though by all accounts.

I've got a pair of dries knocking around somewhere - haven't used them in years. If you want them, pay the postage and they're all yours, hate the bloody things.

Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imported post

I tried a set and got very cold wet hands, neoprene gloves will do me fine I think!
They didn't fit my suit right anyway.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Hello,

On the subject of 3 fingered mittens....John Gulliver got me to try them and they are bloody good in winter. I use them below 5 centigrade and they are good. They feel odd at first but you get used to them.....importantly they keep your fingers warmer longer.

Both John and I can get 3 fingered mitts and send them on...John has done this previously for other YDivers I believe. If anyone is interested, I'll check prices in Luxembourg again and let you know what the cost is.

Cheers.

Graham  

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Many of my friends have the Si-Tech "Quick glove" system and swear by it. You DON'T have to have them like balloons on the surface. You simply place a small length of plastic tubing under your wrist seals so that air can migrate into the gloves. Nor is it true that water will eventually leak in. Provided you put them on properly, they form a 100% watertight seal.
Having said that, I stopped using my drygloves 2 years ago and went back to 6 mm 3-finger mitts. They are just as warm under water and much more convenient IMHO. It's important to remove them, dry your hands and put some warm gloves on immediately after the dive, though. Wet hands soon become VERY cold at air temps below zero. I bought a pair of heavy-duty, lined plastic workman's gloves to wear while stripping down my gear after the dive. Very nice!
If anybody would like me to get them a pair of Mares' 6 mm 3-finger mitts (the best, but unfortunately not sold in the UK), I would be pleased to help. Just e-mail me with your address. They cost just under £30 per pair, come as small, medium and large. Medium seem to fit most men.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I wear 5mm "penguin gloves"  
all year (That's three finger wet ones) and find them easy to don and I'm never cold. I've been told that I should try wearing surgical gloves before putting the suit on come winter, and I will definitely try it. That way I'll stay dry all the time. On top of that I guess there'll be a better seal around the wrist.

Have you tried that trick John? Perhaps there's a chance of getting a squeeze wearing rubber gloves underneath?

Kyrre

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Norseman @ Sep. 16 2003,11:57)]I wear 5mm "penguin gloves"  
all year (That's three finger wet ones) and find them easy to don and I'm never cold. I've been told that I should try wearing surgical gloves before putting the suit on come winter, and I will definitely try it. That way I'll stay dry all the time. On top of that I guess there'll be a better seal around the wrist.

Have you tried that trick John? Perhaps there's a chance of getting a squeeze wearing rubber gloves underneath?

Kyrre
Yes, I did try wearing surgical gloves under my drygloves, as well as under my 3-finger mitts. I can't say I noticed any difference. I did find thin motorcyclist gloves under my inner gloves improved the insulation when I wore drygloves but, as I said before, I abandoned using my drygloves. The main reason was squeeze. As soon as I lowered my hands and arms to the usual position under my stomach, the gloves squeezed and my hands were cold. I had to keep stretching my arms above my head to let some air into the gloves. Also, I found that once I had put my drygloves on I had to have help finishing kitting up. That is a major advantage of the SI-Tech Quickgloves - you can put them on last of all. My photographer friends love them. I'll stick to my Mares 3-finger mitts, though. They're very flexible and don't hinder me in any way, either topside or under water, and they're warmer than any other neoprene gloves I've tried.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Hi Rob, I'm not sure what Xerotech is but one of my friends with a scubapro 7 mm neoprene drysuit with latex wrist seals had the SiTech Quickglove rings fitted and it works fine. I'm not sure whether it would work with neoprene wrist seals, though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Imported post

I'm not sure the brand of the ones I just tried out but they don't work with neoprene compression cuffs.  They work fine with the neoprene ones you fold over and with latex ones but just not with the ones I happen to have.  They were however very easy to put on and reasonably easy to take off, dexterity in them was ok but they did tend to squeeze at depth when I put my hands down.  Have better feeling in my neoprene gloves though and am much less worried about them getting damaged.
I haven't tried mittens yet, don't you lose some dexterity in them?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DanG @ Sep. 17 2003,06:02)]I haven't tried mittens yet, don't you lose some dexterity in them?
No, you don't! You don't really use digits 3, 4 and 5 separately anyway, so it makes very little difference that they are locked together. It feels a little strange at first but you soon get used to wearing mitts and you can do everything in them that you can do wearing ordinary 5-finger gloves.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

I wanted to try dry gloves but the rings are a bit small and my left hand won't go through them.  I've tried the three fingered mitts not bad for warmth in winter but no use for catching razors, while the water is nice and warm I'm using marigolds.:D

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I wear my 3-finger mitts even in the summer. It does depend a bit upon how supple the neoprene is but in Mares 6 mm mitts you should be able to do anything you can do in your Marigolds, once you've got used to them.

·
Tek & RB Instructor: fluent in 'Franglaise'
1,028 Posts
Si Tech Dry Glove system feedback wanted

Hi All,

I am thinking of going over to dry gloves this winter. Has anyone used the Si Tech system and if so what good or bad feedback do you have?

Cheers for your help

Dave

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi Dave

I have the Si-tech dry gloves and I can honesty say they are worth every penny. The hardest part was fitting the ring system to the dry suit but once that’s done it plain sailing. The gloves are easily donned and doffed with out any help, nice and warm and if you rip a wrist seal when diving without the gloves they can be replaced in minutes

Allan

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Dry gloves

I have a pair with standard seals. I use them in Jan and Feb and they keep my hands warmish.
I lose some dexterity, and it is worth practising shut down drills, mask clears etc before diving at depth.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I love my dry gloves. I got some from Stoney with the rings - not as nice as some other makes, but they work, they don't leak, are very very easy to get on and off (far easier than either wet gloves or latex-seal dry gloves), and keep my hands warm!
Coming out of Stoney in February and being able to pop the gloves off and have warm dry hands is wonderful!
Someone mentioned earlier that you have to be very careful not to cut them - that is partly true, and of course you would get damp hands if you put a hole in the glove, but i've had that on a dive before although not through it being cut, because I didn't put it on right :eek:\
Anyway, even when wet I found them no worse than normal wet gloves (since in essence that's all it was - a looser fit but virtually no flushing).

I do use a bit of tube up the wrist seal to equalise the pressure with the suit, keeps them warm at depth and still perfectly usable on the surface.

The other thing about cutting them, you can get the glove part of the ring systems replaced for around £3 per pair, its a simple DIY jobbie - you can get the gloves from fishing shops, that kind of place. And its far cheaper from there than getting a dive shop to do it for you. For the price of an air fill, there's absolutely no reason to dive dry gloves with holes in.

David

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
The best tubing I have found for equalising pressure in dry gloves is the inner PVC insulation around electrical cable. Flexible and strong enough not to be crushed by the pressure.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Allan Carr said:
The best tubing I have found for equalising pressure in dry gloves is the inner PVC insulation around electrical cable. Flexible and strong enough not to be crushed by the pressure.
I think a lot of things will work - personally I use a bit of silicon tubing, and i've tied a bit onto the end of each sleeve of my undersuit so that i've always got it, no worrying about where I put the little bits of tube or whatever. The silicon is also very soft so doesn't dig into my arms anywhere, perfectly comfortable even when I keep the suit on all day.
Possibly not as much air flow as can be got from other solutions, but it lets enough air through to happily equalise the gloves wherever I am in the water, and has the added benefit of not instantly ballooning the glove if I raise my arm for some reason.

David

1 - 20 of 26 Posts