YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the May Day BH weekend some buddies and me ( or should that be I ?) from the Derbyshire Police Dive Club had a great couple of days diving out of Penzance with Gulfstream Scuba, who operate out of Hayle, Cornwall. A good time was had by one and all. We also used them for a similar trip last year.
I was impressed with their thoroughness and professionalism, so much so that I booked a couple of courses with them for this last Half Term week. I booked to do the PADI Nitrox course and the Deep Diver speciality.(yes I know, I'm a bit of a badge collector...) I was originally booked in for the Tues Wed Thurs. I went to see them when we got down there to arrange the dives etc and they changed the dates to Wed Thurs Fri, because of the weather etc. I did the theory bit of the Nitrox course on the Wed and then was told that it would be Saturday before I would dive. We were coming home on the Sat so they said they would try to sort out some dives on the Thurs and Fri. However a phone call recieved on Thurs morning spoilled that saying that the weather wasnt fit and they would have to cancel the Deep speciality and Nitrox dives, but as I had done the theory part I could still have the acreditation as a "Dry Course"
And promptly charged me £100 for the privillage.
I was surprised as the day the dives were cancelled we spent on the beach in nice, sunny weather.... Too sunny to dive ?
So ... A week away with the family in prime diving country turned into just a week away with the family...

Sick as a Parrott or what ?

Is this normal ? to do the Nitrox "Dry" as it were. I suppose you dont need to get wet but it would have been nice.
I think it was more to do with there only being me to take out on the boat and it not being cost effective, rather than the weather but there you are.
I would still go back and use them again though.

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
The TDI basic nitrox course has no requirements for any dives. As far as I'm concerned there's no need. I reckon nitrox should be taught during initial training and made available to everyone learning to dive.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yes, you can usually do the course either, "wet" or dry. As the nitrox is mainly theory, you do not do any thing different in the water, unlike dry suit etc

:) Wilko

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
One of the divers here have done this course on-line!! (PADI) and got his ticket the other week it was done by an Egyptian dive site, I'll try and find the link

Graham

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought that it sounded steep... It was originally £150 including 2 dives. But as I was doing the Deep speciality too, I could do 2 of the deep dives on Nitrox, combining the 2 sthus the reduced rate.
But still 100 quid for a book and a couple of cards I'll never use...

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
But still 100 quid for a book and a couple of cards I'll never use...
You reckon? You may end up diving nitrox rather more than you think, and you'll need to show the card every time you get a fill. To be honest £100 isn't overly expensive for a dry nitrox course, so I don't think you've done that badly.

as for the other stuff re cancellations - if the weather was OK and just being used as an excuse, I'd be annoyed.

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Nitrox is easy:

1) Breathe in
2) Breathe out
3) Never exceed the maximum operating depth of the mix you're breathing
4) Always analyse your gas.

The BSAC course (which I teach) is about two hours of theory and that's it.

That said, I think if you've paid for two dives then you should have those two dives. Changing it from a wet to a dry course is a bit cheeky if you don't agree to it in advance.

I would write back to them and say you'll pay the full £150 once you've done the two dives you signed up to do. But sadly they're a long way from you so it will be hard.

Janos

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sure that I'll use the Nitrox, I meant the tables that come with the book. Ill use my computer for the planning and stuff. the tables will most probably be filed with the RDP table.
Thanks for the replies folks. I felt a bit peeved at first but I dont feel a ripped off now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.