YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

As some of you know I've been without my drysuit for a week because it had to go back to Oceanic as the heels of the boots had worn through, this was rather unexpected as the suit is less than a year old and hasn't really completed what I would regard as a full dive season yet.

Imagine my dismay when this morning I'm informed by the dive shop that I bought the suit from, that Oceanic had been on to him and did not intend to replace the boots under warranty and that it would be £72 to replace them...

After I'd quietly seethed down the telephone line and told Chris in the calmest tones that I could muster through my clenched teeth, that I found the situation totally unacceptable and that I would expect a £600 suit to last at least a dive season and that I intended to seek professional advice, he told me that apparantly in the documentation that came with the suit is the declaration that the boots only carry a warranty of three months and that this is good as some manufacturers don't warranty boots at all. Shocked is an understatment... undetered I asked for the persons name at the company as I intended to immediately contact citizens advice and fight the case if possible.

Give Chris his due, he contacted the Oceanic rep who he deals with regularly and somehow got the bloke to relent on this one... So... the suit is being repaired and should hopefully be back by the weekend. The rep reckons that they've sold seven thousand suits and only two have ever come back with the heels worn through (yeah!) and that its suffered from premature wear and went on to say, and get this.... "The boots are not really made for walking on"  What?
  Perhaps we need to learn the art of levitating from the back of the car to the water and back again..  :thinking:

Anyway the reason I tell this tale is to let you guys who didn't know that your boots may not be covered under your spanking new warranty on your shiney new suit.. and for those of us who already own and use the Oceanic Aedura with slippers for rock boots Pick yer bloody feet up

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dave

Can you just clarify what it is you have, as I am in the market for a drysuit and the Aerdura is one I am considering.  The Aerdura I am looking at has proper "welly" type boots, but you mention slippers.  Are these the socks that you wear a DUI type para boot over, and is it the slippers that have worn through?  Were you walking on the slippers or was it the boots that have worn the slippers away?

Sorry for so many quessies, but at £500 a pop it ain't the kind of mistake you wanna make too often, as I am sure you'll agree!

Cheers

Lou

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imported post

Hi Lou

Sorry for the confusion, I was trying to be facetious by calling the welly type boots 'slippers' because they are so thin soled. I found that sometimes I've stood on a sharp pebble and its hurt my foot and then the fact that the heels wore through so quickly confirmed my thoughts, BUT do not be put off, others may find the soles adequate and probably do not shuffle along to the dive site as I obviously do.

The suits are great and the warm collar is pure genius, definitely a good hard wearing (cept the boots) suit

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

I've got an Aerdura Ti and I think it's a great suit. I'll admit I don't do huge ammounts of shore stuff and I do PICK ME FEET UP.

But it's dry, warm like Dave says and all the valves are top-notch.

The boots aren't that bad on mine but I'd prefer slightly firmer soles.

I'd prefer a firmer gut aswell but that's another story ...

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Kill them Dave, KILL THEM ALL!!!!!!!!

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

But they're soooo real!  

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Imported post

I've told you Jay... we really must keep him on his meds....

I've just realised something, if Lou gets an Aedura too then there will be five of us wearing them in YD.... lol... that'll look choice on a YD get together... Does this make the Aedura the premier suit of choice... or common as muck??

Answers on a postcard to.....

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

its a shite suit, its not black.  or camo.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Just becasue you'd have to get one specially made to fit your severly disportioned stumpy fat, little body (with extra wide neck seals to squeeze your over-sized head) you banjo playing, sister marrying, line dancing *******.

(You know I love you really!)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Dave
I suppose once your suit comes out of its warrenty period you could probably have any boots grafted on, if the Oceanic ones don't do the Biz.:) may last longer?
???

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Imported post

Lol.. Di was saying something similar when the others where holed... "Well it seems daft having to have whole boots fitted, just get them soled".... Head shaking by me..... "Woman.. shutup!"

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Now why is having some stiffer soles glued on a silly idea?  Sounds eminently practical to me....maybe the female mind is just more open to lateral thinking???

Not saying you guys are stick-in-the-muds or anything.....

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

you could put a pair of wet suit boots over the drysuit booots, yah?

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

My dive buddy wears special boots on his - they lace up, but the laces are self tightening.  Proper, hard wearing boots they are too.  As Lou says - maybe the female mind is more practical! :froggy:

(Edited by Frog at 1:48 pm on Sep. 4, 2002)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Imported post

A mate suggested wearing some big old trainers over the top just to walk to the dive site, but then we figured that when I surfaced I'd no doubt see some bloke throwing them for his dog to catch.... The point is really.... I shouldn't have to worry about it at all.... the bloody things should be able to take the abuse.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Davey,

D'ya think you'll get the bag back for the weekend?

Cos' if you haven't got yer kit you'll just have to do it in your vest and pants !!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts