YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Membrane dry suit - cuff or shoulder dump? Discuss!

I have a shoulder dump which nearly everyone i have spoken to says is the best type but i find it really difficult to tell if its actually dumping anything as I can't twist my neck enough to see it.

Maybe i'm worrying about nothing as i've only done four open water dives in it so i need to get used to it a bit more.

·
Off to T.D.F.
695 Posts
If it worries you a lot, talk to your buddy and ask them to signal when air is coming out of it.

If you dive the suit for buoyancy, then a lot will be coming out and you'd probably notice it; if using your BC for buoyancy then it'll be more subtle, especially if you haven't yet gone beyond 10m or so.

·
Gettin' busy with the fizzy..
708 Posts
i had the same problem when i had a new suit with a shoulder dump as i had been used to a cuff dump, so i had a cuff dump fitted to my suit and put the shoulder sump to the lock position this works quite well as when my cuff dump fails i can open the shoulder dump up.

·
No longer a diver :o(
698 Posts
i had the same problem when i had a new suit with a shoulder dump as i had been used to a cuff dump, so i had a cuff dump fitted to my suit and put the shoulder sump to the lock position this works quite well as when my cuff dump fails i can open the shoulder dump up.
Pretty much the same here - but the otherway round.
Origionally had a cuff dump and then had a shoulder dump fitted.
I find I don't have the shoulder dump fully open as this tends to dump on the lightest movement, so have it wound down a couple of clicks.
A little roll and a bit of an squeeze and I can dump from the shoulder, or raise the arm a bit and can use the cuff.

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts
Membrane dry suit - cuff or shoulder dump? Discuss!

I have a shoulder dump which nearly everyone i have spoken to says is the best type but i find it really difficult to tell if its actually dumping anything as I can't twist my neck enough to see it.

Maybe i'm worrying about nothing as i've only done four open water dives in it so i need to get used to it a bit more.

i can usually hear mine.

·
No longer a diver :o(
698 Posts
youve done 4 dives in it for the love of pete. Dont start making adjustments to it. do another 96 with it as it is and then see how you feel.
Good point, never noticed the 4 dives bit in the OP.
Just see how you get on - keep it fully open to start off with - you should be able to hear/see/feel the air dumping.

·
"Are we human, or are we diver?"
1,329 Posts
Bought a drysuit with a cuff dump already on but had a shoulder dump fitted ( my old dry with a shoulder dump has been handed down to No.1 son).
The cuff dump was a nuisance when taking photos 'cos frequently when I held the camera up I started losing air. Now I've blocked the cuff up from the inside with a piece of foam rubber & use the shoulder dump set two or 3 clicks open leaving my hands free for the camera.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.